Kevin Maitan and others

bmags

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 05:49 PM)
But less than in the minors, so they wouldn't be able to play in front of scouts. Its like what happens with high school basketball players who try to play overseas instead of go to college for a year. They don't get as much playing time, so they don't develop and get better, and scouts don't get to see them as much so they usually end up drafted lower than expected.

Not really. Places like Mexico and Korea are very lowly rated in terms of talent. If money really is the concern they can go to a place like that, get paid probably 10 times what they would be paid in the US minors, and get to play.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 06:55 PM)
I hope I didn't come off as dismissive there. I was curious if I was misunderstanding something.

That being said, I don't see why these guys already having a payday would make a difference to the players as they hit the free market. Do you think their agents and/or managers care these guys already got paid a little bit (by baseball standards) a few years ago? These guys are going to get paid as much as they possibly can in more cases than not. If any one of these guys sign with the Sox it's because they are the caliber of prospect, at this moment in time, who is only worth 300K at the most.

I am 100% on board with this post. The odds of us getting the top guys is about zero. Our hope is that with the competition for Ohtani and the other teams being capped out, that someone maybe slips through the cracks or that another team is willing to deal us a live prospect in order to get room to get one of these deals done, if we have any space left.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
Not really. Places like Mexico and Korea are very lowly rated in terms of talent. If money really is the concern they can go to a place like that, get paid probably 10 times what they would be paid in the US minors, and get to play.

Korea now has guys going there from the majors and sending guys back to the majors, so their talent has seemingly increased lately, but this article tries to compare foreign leagues to the different minor league levels. Considering almost all of the latin players play in the DSL for their first year and hopefully make it to the US rookie leagues by the time they are 18, there is very little chance they would be at an appropriate talent level to play in Korea or Mexico.

And even if they could play in Mexico, I don't think they would choose that alternative. This article talks about the cap on salaries for non-Mexican players to be $6500/month, or about $78,000 if they are paid for every month. Considering they would probably make more than that just from their signing bonus, they would probably just take the bonus.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
Korea now has guys going there from the majors and sending guys back to the majors, so their talent has seemingly increased lately, but this article tries to compare foreign leagues to the different minor league levels. Considering almost all of the latin players play in the DSL for their first year and hopefully make it to the US rookie leagues by the time they are 18, there is very little chance they would be at an appropriate talent level to play in Korea or Mexico.

And even if they could play in Mexico, I don't think they would choose that alternative. This article talks about the cap on salaries for non-Mexican players to be $6500/month, or about $78,000 if they are paid for every month. Considering they would probably make more than that just from their signing bonus, they would probably just take the bonus.

US players make a fraction of that unless they are on the 40 man roster.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
So do drafted players.

Yes, that is my point. The signing bonus they would get from the draft would be more than they could get playing in other leagues so they would probably take it, but it is less than they can get on an open market so it is hurting their earnings relative to the system that was in place and the one currently in place.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
Yes, that is my point. The signing bonus they would get from the draft would be more than they could get playing in other leagues so they would probably take it, but it is less than they can get on an open market so it is hurting their earnings relative to the system that was in place and the one currently in place.

I am not sure why the same argument isn't made in reverse then. Why is it fair that American players get their earnings hurt while international players are free agents simply by where they live? It is an inherently unfair system. The only way to make it fair is to subject everyone to the same rules, which would be a world wide draft like every other sport does.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)
I am not sure why the same argument isn't made in reverse then. Why is it fair that American players get their earnings hurt while international players are free agents simply by where they live? It is an inherently unfair system. The only way to make it fair is to subject everyone to the same rules, which would be a world wide draft like every other sport does.

I would make the same argument in reverse. My first post said that I thought the draft was horrible and that doesn't exclude the draft for domestic talent. If the players association could get rid of the draft I'm pretty sure they would, but the owners know how much money they save from it, so they would never let that happen. Where our opinoins can differ and probably never be resolved is over whether because one group has to deal with the draft that all groups should or whether you want to make it as good for as many players as possible even if that means there are some differences. I personally believe in the second.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 06:23 PM)
I'd hope you read the bit by Longenhagen on the guys that were set free by the Braves. If the Sox don't get any, it is no biggie IMO.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-braves-...-and-its-harsh/

Yeah, it didn't sound like many of them were turning out well. It also had a list of bonus pool amounts left and the White Sox weren't even on there, so unless we traded all of our pool in the Burr and Yrizarri trades I think reporters just have no idea how much we have because we didn't publish how much we traded each time.

Also, Dave Cameron had a chat today and was asked about the prospects:

Tom: Are the former Braves prospects essentially going to be able to double-up on their signing bonuses?

Dave Cameron: No; most teams don’t have enough left to give them huge bonuses, and the Braves went over their signing pool to give nine of those guys bonuses over $1 million.

Dave Cameron: Teams aren’t gong to be walking away from their pre-arranged deals for next July 2 just because these guys are now available. Maybe one or two teams will, but most of these guys are going to get a few hundred grand, I’d bet.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)
I'd hope you read the bit by Longenhagen on the guys that were set free by the Braves. If the Sox don't get any, it is no biggie IMO.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-braves-...-and-its-harsh/

Within that article, I found it pretty interesting that he goes so far as to classify Maitan as a:

talented reclamation project

Boy am I glad that we didn't end up getting him as a part of a Sale deal.

Moncada + Kopech both seem to be droll worthy prizes.

Hell, I'd even say that there's a potential for us to "win" that trade looking back in about 8 years.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 10:35 PM)
Within that article, I found it pretty interesting that he goes so far as to classify Maitan as a:

Boy am I glad that we didn't end up getting him as a part of a Sale deal.

Moncada + Kopech both seem to be droll worthy prizes.

Hell, I'd even say that there's a potential for us to "win" that trade looking back in about 8 years.

"reclamation project" seems unreasonable premature. The dude was 17 years old in rookie ball, 3 years younger than the average rookie baller.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 23, 2017 -> 01:10 AM)
"reclamation project" seems unreasonable premature. The dude was 17 years old in rookie ball, 3 years younger than the average rookie baller.

Too soon to write maitan off because of how young he is, but he’s also not a guy on a fast track to the major leagues either. Mediocre rookie ball numbers at age 17 are acceptable, but I’d drop him out of the top 100 prospects until he shows more.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 23, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
Too soon to write maitan off because of how young he is, but he’s also not a guy on a fast track to the major leagues either. Mediocre rookie ball numbers at age 17 are acceptable, but I’d drop him out of the top 100 prospects until he shows more.

I read that some scouts now think that he won't only have to move off SS, but is probably headed to 1B, so then his bat really has to play.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 23, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
Maybe the knocks on Maitan's conditioning drop his price to something in the White Sox range. Am I right in thinking the Sox could go as high as 500K on the ex-Braves prospects?

That's correct. They can also use next year's bonus pool to do it.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 23, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
That's correct. They can also use next year's bonus pool to do it.

Thank you sir, good to know. Despite the concerns over his conditioning, I'd still like to see Maitan in the Sox farm system. Maybe get Maitan to hang out with Moncada and Kopech during the off season to learn a few things about training. :D

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 23, 2017 -> 01:11 PM)
Thank you sir, good to know. Despite the concerns over his conditioning, I'd still like to see Maitan in the Sox farm system. Maybe get Maitan to hang out with Moncada and Kopech during the off season to learn a few things about training. :D

Moncada and his twinkie habit is not someone I'd want Maitan to be getting conditioning tips from