Kevin Maitan and others

bmags

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 05:21 PM)
There are other leagues, but the viability of 16 year olds getting playing consistent time in these leagues is probably low. Plus I am not sure how all the free agency/entering a foreign league timelines would match up. Either way, its easier to just not have it than risk it not working out. I think the owners are okay with the current system because it reduces bonuses enough.

More playing time than they get in the majors for sure.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 05:39 PM)
More playing time than they get in the majors for sure.

But less than in the minors, so they wouldn't be able to play in front of scouts. Its like what happens with high school basketball players who try to play overseas instead of go to college for a year. They don't get as much playing time, so they don't develop and get better, and scouts don't get to see them as much so they usually end up drafted lower than expected.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)
Confused to why people think Sox are players here? I mean maybe they get one of the lower end guys for 300K if they even have that much money left but I don't think that would call for anymore excitement than any amateur international signing. If the Sox don't have the lowest spending power internationally, they're probably second or third.

My rational is as such:

1.) These guys have already got in some cashes a big pay day which they get to keep - so money might not be the biggest motivating factor.

2.) They may be drawn to our team and be sold on our future opportunities.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 05:57 PM)
Confused to why people think Sox are players here? I mean maybe they get one of the lower end guys for 300K if they even have that much money left but I don't think that would call for anymore excitement than any amateur international signing. If the Sox don't have the lowest spending power internationally, they're probably second or third.

1. I thought maybe we wouldn't have the 300k penalty because we didn't when they originally signed or for some other reason.

2. There are a ton of players out there this offseason and not a ton of money to go around. Maybe we can snag someone who otherwise would be worth more. Its a very unique set of circumstances that just might allow us to get a steal.

3. Any signing is interesting. We get new names we get to be excited about

4. Probably the biggest reason: Its the middle of the offseason and I'm bored and just want something to be able to follow.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 06:02 PM)
My rational is as such:

1.) These guys have already got in some cashes a big pay day which they get to keep - so money might not be the biggest motivating factor.

2.) They may be drawn to our team and be sold on our future opportunities.

That's what I was thinking too (they got to keep their bonus)...and haven't seen any definitive rules set yet.

Also...this was from the Trib a few weeks ago about money available:

The Rangers can agree to a maximum $3,535,000 signing bonus from their pool that covers July 2 through next June 15, according to figures compiled by Major League Baseball and obtained by The Associated Press. New York can pay $3.25 million and the Twins $3,245,000.

Just three other teams can give him a seven-figure signing bonus: Pittsburgh ($2,266,750), Miami ($1.74 million) and Seattle ($1,570,500).

After that comes Philadelphia ($900,000), Milwaukee ($765,000), Arizona ($731,250), Baltimore ($660,000), Boston ($462,000) and Tampa Bay ($440,500).

Twelve teams are capped at $300,000 as penalties for exceeding their signing bonus pool under baseball's previous collective bargaining agreement, which did not have a cap: Atlanta, the Chicago Cubs and White Sox, Cincinnati, Houston, Kansas City, the Los Angeles Dodgers, Oakland, St. Louis, San Diego, San Francisco and Washington.

Other clubs have even less available: Detroit ($159,500), the Los Angeles Angels ($150,000), the New York Mets ($105,000), Toronto ($50,000), and Cleveland and Colorado ($10,000 apiece).

What are the penalties btw?

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 05:57 PM)

I agree 100%. They likely took most money the first time. I would expect the same here.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 06:08 PM)
I agree 100%. They likely took most money the first time. I would expect the same here.

And with some teams prepping to go after Ohtani, they'd be stupid to not wait until after he has chosen a team. The losers of the Ohtani sweepstakes are going to be the winners here. I can't see the Sox having any chance, other than maybe one of the lower tiered guys.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 06:55 PM)
I hope I didn't come off as dismissive there. I was curious if I was misunderstanding something.

That being said, I don't see why these guys already having a payday would make a difference to the players as they hit the free market. Do you think their agents and/or managers care these guys already got paid a little bit (by baseball standards) a few years ago? These guys are going to get paid as much as they possibly can in more cases than not. If any one of these guys sign with the Sox it's because they are the caliber of prospect, at this moment in time, who is only worth 300K at the most.

Aren't they being restricted in how much they can be paid? Though I read that.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 04:55 PM)
I hope I didn't come off as dismissive there. I was curious if I was misunderstanding something.

That being said, I don't see why these guys already having a payday would make a difference to the players as they hit the free market. Do you think their agents and/or managers care these guys already got paid a little bit (by baseball standards) a few years ago? These guys are going to get paid as much as they possibly can in more cases than not. If any one of these guys sign with the Sox it's because they are the caliber of prospect, at this moment in time, who is only worth 300K at the most.

Pretty sure you are misunderstanding the jedi mind tricks of HahnSolo.

Jerk.

These players get to keep their bonuses. They are restricted to international rules like everyone has said though. The White Sox can't sign anyone for more than $300K. There really aren't a ton of teams with a bunch of money to throw around and teams already have money committed during the 2018/2019 period. Some of these prospects like Almonte (catcher) were never $3 million + prospects anymore. They were bundled to save on other guys. Sox may have a shot at a few guys for $300K but I don't expect them to be too active. It's just the way it is once they decided to go all out for Luis Robert.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 05:57 PM)
These players get to keep their bonuses. They are restricted to international rules like everyone has said though. The White Sox can't sign anyone for more than $300K. There really aren't a ton of teams with a bunch of money to throw around and teams already have money committed during the 2018/2019 period. Some of these prospects like Almonte (catcher) were never $3 million + prospects anymore. They were bundled to save on other guys. Sox may have a shot at a few guys for $300K but I don't expect them to be too active. It's just the way it is once they decided to go all out for Luis Robert.

Always appreciate your informative posts, Jimmy.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 04:55 PM)

It really isn't that big of a deal dude. People are talking about s***. You've joined the party. Yahoo.

My personal opinion has already been expressed.... the chances of us getting someone on a good deal is slim... but I do personally think there's a chance. Mostly, this is the only potentially relevant White Sox baseball news for us to currently discuss.

That is - unless you've got some riveting new Roger Bossard article to throw us all.

I agree with Hi8 and RaBBit that there's no reason for these guys to do antyhing other than go to max out their bonuses, and so we might only have a shot at 1 or 2 guys that would be available for that $300k normally.

However, I do wonder if this might shake loose another Thyagomizer type deal. When Ohtani was the only guy on the market, teams could look at the Yankees and Mariners and think "If we don't get Ohtani we're out the player we gave up for him". Now there's like 3 or 4 other backup plans on the market. Send the White Sox a player from your A-ball team for some of their bonus money, make your run at Ohtani, and if you miss out on him you go out and sign that catcher that was just released.

I'm pretty sure there were 4 prospects from this signing period that were also released and they all signed for a max of $300k because the Braves were in the penalty. So there are at least 4 guys that we could potentially sign.

Also Callis tweeted that teams in the penalty can only offer $300k, so only $100k would count towards the pool. I think there was some confusion (at least for me) about whether teams in the penalty could go to $500k.

I'm still hopeful we can get one guy out of this. I also hope that Maitan or one of the other great guys don't end up with the Yankees. Half of what I liked about this happening was it helped thin out a top farm; that won't be the case if the Yankees end up just getting the good ones.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 10:07 PM)
I agree with Hi8 and RaBBit that there's no reason for these guys to do antyhing other than go to max out their bonuses, and so we might only have a shot at 1 or 2 guys that would be available for that $300k normally.

However, I do wonder if this might shake loose another Thyagomizer type deal. When Ohtani was the only guy on the market, teams could look at the Yankees and Mariners and think "If we don't get Ohtani we're out the player we gave up for him". Now there's like 3 or 4 other backup plans on the market. Send the White Sox a player from your A-ball team for some of their bonus money, make your run at Ohtani, and if you miss out on him you go out and sign that catcher that was just released.

With this shakeup, if a team is willing to trade a B level prospect to join the Maitan sweepstake, I’d rather trade the pool money rather than sign a pick of the litter for 300k.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 10:07 PM)

Right, especially if a team makes a 2018 dip that compromises a verbal, sox could have nice leverage next signing period with trades as well.

Now, call is tweeted out the top 5 teams with available money in 2017, sox weren’t on it and the last team had just over 1.2 left. Looks like the Burr / Yrizzari trades were for more than the Mariners trade. So we may not have too much left this period to trade.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 08:14 AM)
Right, especially if a team makes a 2018 dip that compromises a verbal, sox could have nice leverage next signing period with trades as well.

Now, call is tweeted out the top 5 teams with available money in 2017, sox weren’t on it and the last team had just over 1.2 left. Looks like the Burr / Yrizzari trades were for more than the Mariners trade. So we may not have too much left this period to trade.

I'm really hoping he was just saying what the max each team could offer was, so even though the Sox have more our number would be $300k. For us to be below $1.2mil we would have had to trade away $2.5mil between Burr and Yrizzari. Considering we got Vieira for $500k, that seems like a lot.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 08:50 AM)
I'm really hoping he was just saying what the max each team could offer was, so even though the Sox have more our number would be $300k. For us to be below $1.2mil we would have had to trade away $2.5mil between Burr and Yrizzari. Considering we got Vieira for $500k, that seems like a lot.

I don’t think he was because he mentioned that one of them couldn’t go over 300k. I’ll look for article.