Big week for Eloy

bmags

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Oct 22, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)
the cubs traded josh donaldson. those things happen. it is not ideal but everyone makes mistakes. that is not an exact science you sometimes pick the wrong guy. now it is possible that that move costs the sox a ws but they still have a great farm and a chance to build a really good team.

As we all know, trading Josh Donaldson, DJ LeMahieu and Chris Archer prevented the Cubs from winning.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 21, 2017 -> 01:10 AM)
This is a thing of beauty:

IMG_5383.png

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 22, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
Can we get back to Eloy? Find another place for the petty whining.

Thank you!! :headbang

Back to the man in the first quoted post above. That's a hell of a camera shot on that catch.

Moving along. If Eloy continues to hit in winter ball, I'm thinking a ST invite is almost certain to happen. If he hits in ST I'm not so sure he starts the 2018 season at Birmingham.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
Adequate tools, but nothing special. Probably something like 30/45 on the scouting scale for his glove and 45/55 for his arm. That said, if he's hitting 300/380/580 nobody is really going to give a f*** about being -5 runs in RF/LF over 162 games.

Thanks dude. I haven't heard much about his fielding so that's why I asked. Not concerned too much since he's so young he should improve to some degree anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 06:40 PM)
I think that him in this system is the biggest reason the White Sox will consider moving Garcia this offseason.

No doubt Eloy makes that decision easier. I'd like to see the Sox stick with Avi one more year to see if his power develops. If it does, he could be extended and the corner OF spots are secure for many years to come.

Looked at winter league stats for the Dominican league for the heck of it. Some ex white sox players tore up the Dominican winter league. The batting leading in 2008 was Mr. Pablo Ozuna, with a robust .390 average. The batting leader in 2009 was Timo Perez, with a .356 average.

....Fernando Tatis Sr. hit .338 and .294 in those years, respectively.

Edited by ron883

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 22, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
Moving along. If Eloy continues to hit in winter ball, I'm thinking a ST invite is almost certain to happen. If he hits in ST I'm not so sure he starts the 2018 season at Birmingham.

Considering they have said they'll invite Robert to ST, I would be shocked if they didn't extend one to Eloy as well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 22, 2017 -> 07:56 AM)
could also go the other way. If the Sox didn't trade for Shields and got a good pitcher they may have been a better team and not gone ahead with the full re-build. So you could say that the trade had the biggest impact on the team going for the re-build and possibly leading to a world Series.

:notworthy:

You, my friend, just planted a seed of "go to logic" for me if / when Tatis induced depression strikes me.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 07:44 AM)
Did you notice who is right in front of him observing the catch? :wub:

I was so focused on the extension Eloy made to snag the ball I didn't pay attention to the other player. They were destined to be together in the White Sox lineup! Thank you Boston, thank you cubs! :headbang

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Oct 22, 2017 -> 06:16 AM)
the cubs traded josh donaldson. those things happen. it is not ideal but everyone makes mistakes. that is not an exact science you sometimes pick the wrong guy. now it is possible that that move costs the sox a ws but they still have a great farm and a chance to build a really good team.

Sox are far more budget constrained at the high end than the Cubs. Meaning ability to expand the budget if they are a player or two away.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)
Sox are far more budget constrained at the high end than the Cubs. Meaning ability to expand the budget if they are a player or two away.

No kidding. I don't think anyone else knew that, just as no one else realized that Tatis was good yet.

Can we get back to Eloy yet?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)
No kidding. I don't think anyone else knew that, just as no one else realized that Tatis was good yet.

Can we get back to Eloy yet?

Was named player of the week for the 1st week.

Nuestro jugador Eloy Jiménez, fue escogido como el Pelotero Estrella de la Semana.

Over the last 17 years, dating back to when the Sox "got good," I think they've traded away all of like 3-5 prospects that really hurt at all. I'm just wondering why no one here is b****ing about the Sox trading for Brett Myers in 2012. Chris Devenski has only put up 4.3 WAR over his first two seasons as a reliever.

There are times you trade away prospects who are toolsheds, and 9 times out of 10 those guys flare out almost immediately. Not having Tatis sucks, but it is what it is.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 08:18 PM)
Over the last 17 years, dating back to when the Sox "got good," I think they've traded away all of like 3-5 prospects that really hurt at all. I'm just wondering why no one here is b****ing about the Sox trading for Brett Myers in 2012. Chris Devenski has only put up 4.3 WAR over his first two seasons as a reliever.

There are times you trade away prospects who are toolsheds, and 9 times out of 10 those guys flare out almost immediately. Not having Tatis sucks, but it is what it is.

Pretty bad example. People hated the Myers deal. Not because of devenski maybe, but still.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
Pretty bad example. People hated the Myers deal. Not because of devenski maybe, but still.

Looking at it from strictly a player-performance perspective (exclude the fact Myers is a dirtbag) the Sox gave up one hell of a future relief option for a rental that did jack for them.

See "Jon Singleton."

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

Quit giving people ideas.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 24, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)

They hated the Myers deal because of who Myers is, not what he did on a baseball field. He was a perfectly adequate reliever, especially for the price the Sox paid. It just so happens to be that one of those organizational depth arms they gave up has one of the best changeups in all of baseball.

Because, to put it mildly, what they have done over the last 11 years has not worked either.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 09:05 PM)
Eloy getting the night off for White Sox dugout clown legend, Moises Sierra.

Good article on Eloy from the Dominican. My spanish is bad but the summary is that the competition level is high, he enjoys playing in front of his countryman, family, and friends, and that he probably won't ever be back, cause, uh, he's the besss and he'll be in MLB late next summer.

www.quisqueyanosports.com/2017/10/lidom-eloy-jimenez-no-esta-seguro-de.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 10:12 PM)
Good article on Eloy from the Dominican. My spanish is bad but the summary is that the competition level is high, he enjoys playing in front of his countryman, family, and friends, and that he probably won't ever be back, cause, uh, he's the besss and he'll be in MLB late next summer.

www.quisqueyanosports.com/2017/10/lidom-eloy-jimenez-no-esta-seguro-de.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.quisqueyanosports.com/2017/10/l...twitter&m=1

"I've actually seen many pitchers with more quality than the ones I faced in class" A "and double" A "this year in the United States," said Jiménez, who explained that the pitchers here use very well the breaking pitches and the fastball. in the counts they should.

"I thought pitchers here would be more challenging with me for being a rookie, but it has not been that way," he said.

I used google to translate so it should be pretty close. Man, that smile on Eloy in the picture reminds me so much of JD. Wow.