Winter Meetings 2017

Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
If Machado wants to be a full time SS should we pursue someone else? Arenado? Donaldson is already in decline

Money talks. I think he follows the money (Boras client). If money is very similar if not even, then I would think he would go to whichever team plays him at SS/best chance of winning.

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that anyone from the Sox is getting moved this week. Far too many less expensive options(asset wise) or more attractive options(Better players, more of a track record of success Obv. referring to Avi) than Abreu and Avi. Furthermore, there are enough options out there that it is probably an extreme buyer's market. I'll be shocked if both are not on the Sox roster when pitchers and catchers report.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
He's not a boras client

Oh for some reason I thought he was. Nonetheless, he still seems likely the type of guy who would lean more towards most money.

Edit: Just looked it up. His agency negotiated the Pujols and Votto contracts.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 01:03 PM)
I understand that, but the post I was replying to talked about Ellsbury being worth about 1/2 his deal. He might well perform like a 1.5 win player each of the next 3 years and that's a tolerable CF, but if that takes playing time away from someone who could develop into a big leaguer that hurts us in a different way. There's a cost associated with us giving him playing time when we could be developing a useful piece of our own.

Then you bench him. Again the point is to buy a prospect you might not be able to get otherwise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
We spent what, $25 million on Robert and gave up the ability to sign a top flight international player for 2 years and the "over the limit" signing penalty? For Ellsbury we'd be taking on $63 million, so way more money than Robert although no signing penalty? Basically it has to be someone who is comparable to Robert, if not better, since most of that $63 million is valueless to us. We're talking Frazier or Torres or someone at the very top of the Yankees system who can step in and be an all star by 2020.

The rumor is that the Yankees have been willing to eat about half of that.

Scott Merkin‏Verified account @scottmerkin 9m9 minutes ago Hahn on trading prospects for a big leaguer with multiple years of control: "It's conceivable, yes. But it would have to be with the idea of extended control being part of it."

More Hahn: "I think frankly we'll probably be in a little better position for deals like that a year from now. I think we'll have a much better understanding of which of this group is going to be taking a step forward."

I still think the Redsox circle back to Abreu. They have extensions coming to Metts and Bogarts and already have Price and the midget extended into 2022.

Kimbrel is a FA next year. Sale in 2020. I find it hard to believe they want to commit to someone like JD longterm or even worse someone like Hosmer who is not the answer and will be expensive.

Also this year is kind of weird. The market for OF is much better then 1B/DH.