Winter Meetings 2017

Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
Free Agents

Hector Rondon

Michael Pineda

Jarrod Dyson

Trades

Abreu to STL for Carson Kelly, Jake Flaherty, Sandy Alcantara, & Jonathan Machado

Garcia + Davidson to ARI for Pavin Smith & Anthony Banda

Draft

Nander De Sedas – SS

Roll into the 2018 season with the best farm system in MLB – by a long shot – with strong competition in several key positions.

Avi makes a ton of sense for AZ, just wonder if Smith is a little redundant with what already have in the system. I could see something built around Duplantier instead though.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to the WSCR BB show this morning. I usually don't listen to the station but when I found out White Sox manager Rick Renteria was going to be on the show, I decided to listen in. I got the impression he wouldn't be too thrilled with either Garcia or Abreu being traded. It should be a interesting week coming up at the winter meetings.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
Did we all forget about Nate Jones? Injuries aside, he's one of the more dominant relievers in the game when his arm is right.

At this point, yeah I think we can and should forget about him.

If he gives a healthy first half of 2018 somehow, we should trade him. At this point we can't count on him for more than a couple months of health. The odds of him being healthy when we actually need him in 2 or 3 seasons seem extremely low.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 02:07 PM)
At this point, yeah I think we can and should forget about him.

If he gives a healthy first half of 2018 somehow, we should trade him. At this point we can't count on him for more than a couple months of health. The odds of him being healthy when we actually need him in 2 or 3 seasons seem extremely low.

I mainly was referring to the previous discussion, so I probably should have quoted Cali's post. We're talking about the Sox developing relievers, and no one mentioned Jones.

I am not counting on him for anything more, plus he's on the wrong side of 30. I'm hoping for him to show he's healthy enough to be able to flip him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 04:09 PM)
I mainly was referring to the previous discussion, so I probably should have quoted Cali's post. We're talking about the Sox developing relievers, and no one mentioned Jones.

I am not counting on him for anything more, plus he's on the wrong side of 30. I'm hoping for him to show he's healthy enough to be able to flip him.

My mistake, I thought we were still talking about guys in our next bullpen, thanks.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 11:23 PM)
By my definition I said it was no big deal that Jenks came from the Angels, But OK when the Sox have the positions players and starting pitching to take them deep in the playoffs but not a dominant pen remember all this discussion on the Sox magically finding World Series worthy relief from our minor league system. I'm not saying the Sox won't have the pen necessary to win a World Series just that I think a couple of pieces are acquired from outside the organization either by trade or free agents.

Sure. But not now. Maybe not even after next off-season. You see what you have first before spending money you might not need to spend, and that doesn't help you now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 04:51 PM)
Sure. But not now. Maybe not even after next off-season. You see what you have first before spending money you might not need to spend, and that doesn't help you now.

And bullpen arms can be so volitale, you could sign a stud reliever this off-season and he might be worthless when the Sox are trying to compete in 2020.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 05:20 PM)
And bullpen arms can be so volitale, you could sign a stud reliever this off-season and he might be worthless when the Sox are trying to compete in 2020.

I read an article that stated bullpen pitchers' performance isbecoming a little more consistent. The belief is that guys are being groomed to be relievers far sooner than ever before.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 06:20 PM)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 06:31 PM)
I read an article that stated bullpen pitchers' performance isbecoming a little more consistent. The belief is that guys are being groomed to be relievers far sooner than ever before.

For the 2018 offseason the trick remains - we need to look to sign guys who could become better with us. That way either they are tradeable, or if we have them for more than 1 year they are a value guy in 2019.

Next offseason, I think I'm going to be wanting the big names. We'll have the money for a Kimbrel or a Miller and we will likely want someone who has playoff experience to anchor that pen.

Here is what I would like to see happen

Avi & Smith are moved to the cards for RHP Jack Flaherty, OF Magneuris Sierra & LHP Austin Gomber. Avi gives them a nice bat in right field while not costing too much in terms of prospects and Smith allows them to keep Kelly who is only 23 down for more maturation and service time considerations. Flaherty is a solid mid rotation piece, Sierra has already acquired time at the show but has a ton of projection left and Gomber is solid looking lefty that is age appropriate and could likely find himself at the back end of a rotation or in the pen.

Abreu & Yolmer are moved to the red sox for LHP Jay Groome, 3B Michael Chavis and RHP Bryan Mata. If the yankees are able to grab someone like Cole this will only force the issue even more; Boston needs power. I think the giants after missing out on Stanton put a lot of their resources at JD Martinez. Abreu gives them stability and power at 1B and Yolmer can hold down second while Pedroia recovers while adding additional value in case of injury around the diamond and late innings. Groome isn't going to help the red sox in their current window and Chavis is going to be blocked at 3B/1B/DH for the foreseeable future. Mata is very raw and projectable but is on a similar timeline as Groome.

Salary relief to the Dodgers for Gonzalez & Kazmir (37.5M) for taking on their sunk costs and saving them 20% on their luxury tax overage the sox pick up OF Yusniel Diaz & C Keibert Ruiz; going by last years the point of Pittsburgh surplus values they are both worth roughly 41.2M. From a dodger perspective they're giving up their 5th and 6th best prospects but getting under the luxury tax and making room on the 25 and 40 man rosters while giving Bellinger full time at 1B and writing off Kazmir as a loss. Sox also get the potential to flip both of them at the deadlines, if not they're free agents at the end of the year along with Shields when our payroll will be roughly 23M.

Draft RHP Cale Coshow from the yankees in the rule V.

2018 Opening Day

DH - Gillaspie#

C - Castillo

1B - Gonzalez*

2B - Moncada#

SS - Anderson

3B - Saladino

LF - Delmonico*

CF - Sierra*

RF - Garcia#

SP - Giolito

SP - Lopez

SP - Fulmer

SP - Shields

SP - Kazmir*

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 11:31 PM)
Here is what I would like to see happen

Avi & Smith are moved to the cards for RHP Jack Flaherty, OF Magneuris Sierra & LHP Austin Gomber. Avi gives them a nice bat in right field while not costing too much in terms of prospects and Smith allows them to keep Kelly who is only 23 down for more maturation and service time considerations. Flaherty is a solid mid rotation piece, Sierra has already acquired time at the show but has a ton of projection left and Gomber is solid looking lefty that is age appropriate and could likely find himself at the back end of a rotation or in the pen.

Abreu & Yolmer are moved to the red sox for LHP Jay Groome, 3B Michael Chavis and RHP Bryan Mata. If the yankees are able to grab someone like Cole this will only force the issue even more; Boston needs power. I think the giants after missing out on Stanton put a lot of their resources at JD Martinez. Abreu gives them stability and power at 1B and Yolmer can hold down second while Pedroia recovers while adding additional value in case of injury around the diamond and late innings. Groome isn't going to help the red sox in their current window and Chavis is going to be blocked at 3B/1B/DH for the foreseeable future. Mata is very raw and projectable but is on a similar timeline as Groome.

Salary relief to the Dodgers for Gonzalez & Kazmir (37.5M) for taking on their sunk costs and saving them 20% on their luxury tax overage the sox pick up OF Yusniel Diaz & C Keibert Ruiz; going by last years the point of Pittsburgh surplus values they are both worth roughly 41.2M. From a dodger perspective they're giving up their 5th and 6th best prospects but getting under the luxury tax and making room on the 25 and 40 man rosters while giving Bellinger full time at 1B and writing off Kazmir as a loss. Sox also get the potential to flip both of them at the deadlines, if not they're free agents at the end of the year along with Shields when our payroll will be roughly 23M.

Draft RHP Cale Coshow from the yankees in the rule V.

2018 Opening Day

DH - Gillaspie#

C - Castillo

1B - Gonzalez*

2B - Moncada#

SS - Anderson

3B - Saladino

LF - Delmonico*

CF - Sierra*

RF - Garcia#

SP - Giolito

SP - Lopez

SP - Fulmer

SP - Shields

SP - Kazmir*

Abreu + Sanchez for that package seems very underwhelming. Groome is young, but has yet to have any professional success since he got drafted in 2016. I question Chavis' hit tool and defensive position big time.

I just don't like the matchup for a trade in Boston's system, and tossing them Sanchez for essentially nothing does not make sense to me with him coming off a 3 WAR season.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 11:48 AM)
I would think it's the exact opposite. Throwing 6 innings is more stressful than one inning two straight days. Rodon to me seems destined for the bullpen.

You're right the game volume would be better in the pen. however that isn't the real stress for the pen. it's the warming up on short notice and warming up repeatedly throughout a game but not going in. Some players transition nicely into it. However it would be taking a big chance on a pitcher who has always started and coming off surgery to adapt. they could make him a long reliever only but that would be a waste of his talent, unless he shows the surgery has dropped him to this level.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 08:01 AM)
Abreu + Sanchez for that package seems very underwhelming. Groome is young, but has yet to have any professional success since he got drafted in 2016. I question Chavis' hit tool and defensive position big time.

I just don't like the matchup for a trade in Boston's system, and tossing them Sanchez for essentially nothing does not make sense to me with him coming off a 3 WAR season.

Same. You are just trading Abreu to trade him at that point. Chavis is a guy I wanted for one of our bullpen pieces.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
Same. You are just trading Abreu to trade him at that point. Chavis is a guy I wanted for one of our bullpen pieces.

I could easily see a guy like Chavis reverting back to his 2016 self and putting up a crappy season statistically given the fringy hit tool. If his defense were at least average it might be a different story, but as is I'd consider him a risky prospect.

I think we would be open to dealing Abreu + Sanchez (possibly Avi) if players like Benintendi/Devers were made available. I highly doubt that happens, but if Dombrowski is serious about contending he will need to respond to the Yankees moves.

This is interesting...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/red-...rade-talks.html

.The Red Sox are advising rival organizations that they’ll consider dealing away center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr., according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). That stance, he notes, is tied to the team’s efforts to add a power bat — presumably, one that would occupy a corner outfield spot and bump Andrew Benintendi into center.