Winter Meetings 2017

Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 08:20 AM)
Only way Carlos Gonzalez happens is if he's willing to take a one year deal as I don't think teams will be keen on going multi years after his rapid decline. He was a below replacement level player this year and will likely have to take a 1 year deal to try and reestablish value.

Relievers in our price range will be hanging around in January waiting for a phone call or spring training invite. I don't expect us to shell out much dough or go multi year with free agents this offseason.

Well how long do you think it'll take to build a dominant bullpen ? You absolutely need one to be serious about contending. That means 3 or possibly 4 guys the Sox don't have yet. I know it's pretty illogical to sign RP's to more than 2 or 3 years but the bullpen is my biggest worry for when the Sox start contending. I suppose this year could be all about trying the scrap heap relievers but guys who produce like we had like Robertson, Swarzak and Kahnle are going to be very hard to find.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
Well how long do you think it'll take to build a dominant bullpen ? You absolutely need one to be serious about contending. That means 3 or possibly 4 guys the Sox don't have yet. I know it's pretty illogical to sign RP's to more than 2 or 3 years but the bullpen is my biggest worry for when the Sox start contending. I suppose this year could be all about trying the scrap heap relievers but guys who produce like we had like Robertson, Swarzak and Kahnle are going to be very hard to find.

I think they have at least a few. in the minors. Burdi will be one. Probably a couple of the current starters who don't make the rotation such as Fulmer. I think they will need maybe two at most of outside the organization.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)

If some of the youngsters who are "maybe" folks on the rotation, like Cease, Danish, and Adams, wind up being in the bullpen by 2019 - it could turn around pretty quick.

Edit: Oh, and as of right now I think there's a nonzero chance we could see Rodon out there for a stint in 2018, with how shoulder injuries go.

We have so many 70 to 80 arms in the system it is physically impossible for them to all end up as major league starters. We also have a subset of arms in that group who are already relievers only. We have a potentially dominant and deep bullpen in our minors as we speak today. For the burnout rate of relievers, and for the cost of them, there is no reason for us to go out and spend money on them until it is time to contend and we know exactly what holes we need to fill in the specifically. I listed like 15 to 20 names of before, but suffice to say we have guys. We just need to give them time to find out if they can be The Guys.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
We literally pulled Kahnle and Swarzak out of no where. If the rest of the team is ready to contend in 2019, they can pull a decent bullpen together. I'm not worried about that at all.

Plus, since the team will be cost-controlled at so many positions for a while going forward, I wouldn't mind them handing out 3-4 year deals to a few free agent relievers when the time is right (next off-season, year after).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 12:11 PM)
Plus, since the team will be cost-controlled at so many positions for a while going forward, I wouldn't mind them handing out 3-4 year deals to a few free agent relievers when the time is right (next off-season, year after).

That bullpen could look impressive rapidly if you've got a Rodon, Cease, and Kimbrel out there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
If some of the youngsters who are "maybe" folks on the rotation, like Cease, Danish, and Adams, wind up being in the bullpen by 2019 - it could turn around pretty quick.

Edit: Oh, and as of right now I think there's a nonzero chance we could see Rodon out there for a stint in 2018, with how shoulder injuries go.

Odds are he will pitch for the Sox in 2018.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
That bullpen could look impressive rapidly if you've got a Rodon, Cease, and Kimbrel out there.

He won't be in the pen. That would put too much stress on his shoulder. He will need to be on a regular routine.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
Isn't that what I said?

Sorry. I read it as he won't be out there due to the way shoulder injuries go. I didn't realized that you meant that he will be back because most shoulder innuries make it back.

While the bullpen right now is filled with question marks, I think we have quite a few arms in place that could fill key roles within the next year or so. Assuming Burdi comes back healthy, he's pretty nuch a lock to become a solid high leverage reliever. Same goes for Nate Jones, although his record of health is becoming more concerning. Vieira has significant potential and Fulmer could be a multi-inning weapon. Guys like Stephens or Adams could also fill a role. If you can get three quality relievers out of that group, that's a pretty good starting point from the right side. From the left-side, just got to hope one of Bummer or Frye (or maybe even Clark) can at least be a solid second lefty. But if all that does happen, we can then go out and add two quality relievers in free agency next year (one lefty, one right) to put the finishing touches on what could be a pretty damn good bullpen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)

We could build exactly that ourselves. Once Burdi is back, you will have two dedicated relievers who have already hit 102. We have multiple other guys who have touched 100, and even more in the 97-99 range.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)

Cease is still being groomed as a starting pitcher until he proves he can't be.

Danish and Adams don't have the pure plus stuff to be effective out of the bullpen (they are too hittable).

Fulmer might do better transitioning to the bullpen, but I'd still give him the chance to start in 2018 first.

Burdi might not pitch until 2019 or late 2018, but I think he will be solid.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
He won't be in the pen. That would put too much stress on his shoulder. He will need to be on a regular routine.

I would think it's the exact opposite. Throwing 6 innings is more stressful than one inning two straight days. Rodon to me seems destined for the bullpen.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
I would think it's the exact opposite. Throwing 6 innings is more stressful than one inning two straight days. Rodon to me seems destined for the bullpen.

Not sure if you know this or not, but the guy you're replying to is an actual physical trainer who has worked with baseball players before. If he says that Rodon would be a poor fit for the bullpen in reply to me, then I'm going to drop that idea and just assume that Rodon is our 5th starter giving us 75 innings if we're lucky in 2018 and maybe a handful more in 2019.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
Cease is still being groomed as a starting pitcher until he proves he can't be.

Danish and Adams don't have the pure plus stuff to be effective out of the bullpen (they are too hittable).

Fulmer might do better transitioning to the bullpen, but I'd still give him the chance to start in 2018 first.

Burdi might not pitch until 2019 or late 2018, but I think he will be solid.

We can only have five starting pitchers at the major league level. Some of these guys will only have a road to the majors through the bullpen. If we can't fill five starters through the rebuild, we are pretty well f***ed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
We can only have five starting pitchers at the major league level. Some of these guys will only have a road to the majors through the bullpen. If we can't fill five starters through the rebuild, we are pretty well f***ed.

Cease could be a guy fast tracked to the majors if we wanted to stick him in the bullpen, but I think the organization would prefer to develop him as a starter for now.

You can never have too much pitching, I'm not worried.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
While the bullpen right now is filled with question marks, I think we have quite a few arms in place that could fill key roles within the next year or so. Assuming Burdi comes back healthy, he's pretty nuch a lock to become a solid high leverage reliever. Same goes for Nate Jones, although his record of health is becoming more concerning. Vieira has significant potential and Fulmer could be a multi-inning weapon. Guys like Stephens or Adams could also fill a role. If you can get three quality relievers out of that group, that's a pretty good starting point from the right side. From the left-side, just got to hope one of Bummer or Frye (or maybe even Clark) can at least be a solid second lefty. But if all that does happen, we can then go out and add two quality relievers in free agency next year (one lefty, one right) to put the finishing touches on what could be a pretty damn good bullpen.

Most of you guys responding are making building a dominant pen sound easy. Most mentioning failed starters as instant success as relievers. Take a look at top RP of the playoff teams. Mist of them are vets well established with their teams. Out of all the youngsters the Sox will be lucky to come up with one kid who can pitch quality innings for a World Series contending team. Not one of those guys is a lock and certainly not Burdi. Yes most RP's are notoriously inconsistent but the best ones do it year after year and we will need a couple guys like that . Guys like that just aren't magically available right when you need them. There are lots of other teams to compete with.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 06:48 PM)

Do you know who you are disagreeing with? Ptatc is a medical expert! He knows this stuff. Any medical info you need he is the guy to provide the info. He's either a doctor or something in the medical field. He knows his s***.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 09:11 AM)
We have so many 70 to 80 arms in the system it is physically impossible for them to all end up as major league starters. We also have a subset of arms in that group who are already relievers only. We have a potentially dominant and deep bullpen in our minors as we speak today. For the burnout rate of relievers, and for the cost of them, there is no reason for us to go out and spend money on them until it is time to contend and we know exactly what holes we need to fill in the specifically. I listed like 15 to 20 names of before, but suffice to say we have guys. We just need to give them time to find out if they can be The Guys.

When was the last time the Sox had a guy like Chapman, Jensen, Miller , Britton, a Wade Davis type when he was at the top of his game ? That's what you are going to need and then a guy just a notch below them. A potential dominant and deep bullpen in our minors now ? I haven't seen 1 dominant RP pitcher ever come from the Sox minors no matter how good the system was .