Winter Meetings 2017

Chicago White Sox

I just read where 53 year old Rafael Palmeiro wants to make a comeback this upcoming 2018 season. Hahn will sign him for his MLB leadership abilities. Hahn likes having a team with ex Cubs on it.

Edited by WBWSF

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 12:59 PM)
I just read where 53 year old Rafael Palmeiro wants to make a comeback this upcoming 2018 season. Hahn will sign him for his MLB leadership abilities. Hahn likes having a team with ex Cubs on it.

Keep up with the injections and it's possible. Better living through chemistry.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
Thinking about it, it appears to be to potentially reset his HoF clock.

Good call. The opposition to the "steroid era" seems to be calming down. If he can push the clock back he may get in when people don't care about it any longer.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
Good call. The opposition to the "steroid era" seems to be calming down. If he can push the clock back he may get in when people don't care about it any longer.

I think it’s more about the steroid guys are already in, so put Bonds and Clemens in and put this topic behind us.

My hope is they get to that point, while going to even tougher penalties for PEDs- and when you get busted, you aren’t ever going to be on the ballot.

In other words, forgive for the past institutional encouraged cheating, and go to zero tolerance (as bad as betting on baseball), going forward.

Edited by flavum

I don't in anyway expect the Sox to do it, but it'd be a fun to see them drop some $$ on short term deals and try to be decent.

Carlos Gonzalez - 1 Year - $10M

Michael Brantley - 2 Years - $17M

Andrew Cashner or Jaimie Garcia - 2 Year - $18M

Hector Rondon - 2 Year - $11M

Anthony Swarzak - 2 years - $10M

Howie Kendrick - 1 year - $7M

Lineup:

Michael Brantley CF

Yolmer Sanchez 3B

Yoan Moncada 2B

Jose Abreu 1B

Carlos Gonzalez DH

Avi Garcia RF

Leury Garcia LF

Welington Castillo C

Tim Anderson SS

BN: Kendrick, Delmonico, Narvaez, Engel

Rotation: Giolito, Lopez, Cashner/Garcia, Fulmer, Shields (Rodon over Shields when healthy, Fulmer to pen when Kopech is ready)

BP: Rondon, Swarzak, Jones, Farquhar, Minaya, Infante, Vieria, Bummer

That could be a pretty decent team, doesn't hamstring them at all for the future, and if things don't go well, can still trade Avi and Abreu, in addition to the new arrivals.

Again, this isn't really a prediction as I doubt the Sox go this directio, but I wouldn't be against seeing something like this.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 02:50 PM)
I don't in anyway expect the Sox to do it, but it'd be a fun to see them drop some $$ on short term deals and try to be decent.

Carlos Gonzalez - 1 Year - $10M

Michael Brantley - 2 Years - $17M

Andrew Cashner or Jaimie Garcia - 2 Year - $18M

Hector Rondon - 2 Year - $11M

Anthony Swarzak - 2 years - $10M

Howie Kendrick - 1 year - $7M

Lineup:

Michael Brantley CF

Yolmer Sanchez 3B

Yoan Moncada 2B

Jose Abreu 1B

Carlos Gonzalez DH

Avi Garcia RF

Leury Garcia LF

Welington Castillo C

Tim Anderson SS

BN: Kendrick, Delmonico, Narvaez, Engel

Rotation: Giolito, Lopez, Cashner/Garcia, Fulmer, Shields (Rodon over Shields when healthy, Fulmer to pen when Kopech is ready)

BP: Rondon, Swarzak, Jones, Farquhar, Minaya, Infante, Vieria, Bummer

That could be a pretty decent team, doesn't hamstring them at all for the future, and if things don't go well, can still trade Avi and Abreu, in addition to the new arrivals.

Again, this isn't really a prediction as I doubt the Sox go this directio, but I wouldn't be against seeing something like this.

Why would the Sox do any of that? Also Brantly is not a free agent.

Even with those moves we still will not be a much better team in 2018 than in 2017. Cleveland has a stanglehold on the division, and I don't see that roster being capable of 85+ wins to get a wildcard.

We want payroll flexibility going into next offseason with the best free agent class in a decade.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
I would think Carlos Gonzalez is a solid option if it seems likely that Garcia is going to be traded. He would not make sense otherwise as I don't expect Jiminez down for long.

I think he'd be good to have around in case Avi falls back to his previous form. If Jimenez looks

like he's ready in june or july, and Avi is still hitting,he might be a good trade chip. If Gonzalez is out

of gas you can pay him the buyout and move on. Delmonico at DH,1B and LF could still get 500 AB's.

Edited by zisk

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 01:53 PM)
Why would the Sox do any of that? Also Brantly is not a free agent.

Even with those moves we still will not be a much better team in 2018 than in 2017. Cleveland has a stanglehold on the division, and I don't see that roster being capable of 85+ wins to get a wildcard.

We want payroll flexibility going into next offseason with the best free agent class in a decade.

I think I made it pretty clear that I was just spitballing. And I disagree heavily that the Sox wouldn't improve over 2017 with that roster. Good enough to compete with the Indians? Probably not. But who the hell thought the Twins were this past season?

They don't give up any of the future by doing this. Payroll would still be below $100M. If the Sox operate with like a $60-65M payroll next season, I am far from convinced that the $40-50M saved over their average payroll of the past decade is going to just be "saved" for the next few seasons.

As for Brantley, I forgot the Indians picked up his option...go ahead and put Carlos Gomez in there instead (though I'd prefer Brantley if he were available).

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
Yeah, nothing sexy. I'm in marketing for a minor league team.

Ah I know someone else who used to work on the marketing team for the Cornbelters, just an independent league team. He got to go to the GM meetings for work.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 03:02 PM)
I think I made it pretty clear that I was just spitballing. And I disagree heavily that the Sox wouldn't improve over 2017 with that roster. Good enough to compete with the Indians? Probably not. But who the hell thought the Twins were this past season?

They don't give up any of the future by doing this. Payroll would still be below $100M. If the Sox operate with like a $60-65M payroll next season, I am far from convinced that the $40-50M saved over their average payroll of the past decade is going to just be "saved" for the next few seasons.

As for Brantley, I forgot the Indians picked up his option...go ahead and put Carlos Gomez in there instead (though I'd prefer Brantley if he were available).

Sox tried the "catch lightning in a bottle with a patchwork team" strategy for years and got nowhere, I don't think they revert from rebuilding yet.

Even if we were to get lucky and slip into the wild card, that bullpen is not getting us out of the first round of the playoffs.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
Sox tried the "catch lightning in a bottle with a patchwork team" strategy for years and got nowhere, I don't think they revert from rebuilding yet.

Even if we were to get lucky and slip into the wild card, that bullpen is not getting us out of the first round of the playoffs.

How exactly does that revert from rebuilding? It doesn't give up any of the precious assets they've acquired.

The pitching additions are needed. I suspect the Sox sign at least 1 reliever to a MLB deal. Rondon would fit the bill. I would assume there would be mutual interest between the Sox and Swarzak if his price tag doesn't get too high. The bullpen needs a lot of work. The Sox are going to need another rotation option with Rodon on the shelf until at least June and Kopech not quite ready. Perhaps they go for more of the scrapheap type over more middle of the road MLB starters like Garcia or Cashner, but its not like those guys are going to break the bank.

The positional players are more of a stretch. But we know KW has always liked CarGo. Maybe they decide to go with Gillaspie or a rotating DH, which I am not against, but its not like there isn't room in the lineup for a veteran bat to plug in at DH on a 1 year deal.

CF is a disaster. I personally think they'll let Leury have the job and put Delmonico in LF (which again I am fine with), but adding a real CF, and shifting Leury to LF and Delmonico into a LF/DH/1B/3B utility role wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Again...just spitballing.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)
How exactly does that revert from rebuilding? It doesn't give up any of the precious assets they've acquired.

The pitching additions are needed. I suspect the Sox sign at least 1 reliever to a MLB deal. Rondon would fit the bill. I would assume there would be mutual interest between the Sox and Swarzak if his price tag doesn't get too high. The bullpen needs a lot of work. The Sox are going to need another rotation option with Rodon on the shelf until at least June and Kopech not quite ready. Perhaps they go for more of the scrapheap type over more middle of the road MLB starters like Garcia or Cashner, but its not like those guys are going to break the bank.

The positional players are more of a stretch. But we know KW has always liked CarGo. Maybe they decide to go with Gillaspie or a rotating DH, which I am not against, but its not like there isn't room in the lineup for a veteran bat to plug in at DH on a 1 year deal.

CF is a disaster. I personally think they'll let Leury have the job and put Delmonico in LF (which again I am fine with), but adding a real CF, and shifting Leury to LF and Delmonico into a LF/DH/1B/3B utility role wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Again...just spitballing.

Signing 5-6 guys would have 40 man roster implications as well. I just don't see the need for the Sox to spend any significant money in free agency on a 90+ loss 2018 team.

Rule five draft, under the radar one year deals and giving younger players an opportunity is in the cards for us

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)
Signing 5-6 guys would have 40 man roster implications as well. I just don't see the need for the Sox to spend any significant money in free agency on a 90+ loss 2018 team.

Rule five draft, under the radar one year deals and giving younger players an opportunity is in the cards for us

The bolded is a fair opinion. But I don't think a team that makes those moves loses 90 games.

As of the 40 man machinations...there is still so much fat on there. May, Palka, Tilson, Smith and Covey are all easy cuts. And there are another handful I wouldn't any sleep over losing.

It'll be either really interesting or totally boring. Maybe Sox sign a reliever or another signing that surprises us all . Sox won't be able to fill holes all in one or 2 off season in preparation for the contending years so it's possible we see more surprise signings. I predict a Swarzak signing. Don't expect a Carlos Gonzales signing. Just too Adam LaRoche-ish for my taste . I think CF need will be next thing Sox address outside of relief pitching.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
It'll be either really interesting or totally boring. Maybe Sox sign a reliever or another signing that surprises us all . Sox won't be able to fill holes all in one or 2 off season in preparation for the contending years so it's possible we see more surprise signings. I predict a Swarzak signing. Don't expect a Carlos Gonzales signing. Just too Adam LaRoche-ish for my taste . I think CF need will be next thing Sox address outside of relief pitching.

Only way Carlos Gonzalez happens is if he's willing to take a one year deal as I don't think teams will be keen on going multi years after his rapid decline. He was a below replacement level player this year and will likely have to take a 1 year deal to try and reestablish value.

Relievers in our price range will be hanging around in January waiting for a phone call or spring training invite. I don't expect us to shell out much dough or go multi year with free agents this offseason.