Winter Meetings 2017

Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 09:58 PM)
When was the last time the Sox had a guy like Chapman, Jensen, Miller , Britton, a Wade Davis type when he was at the top of his game ? That's what you are going to need and then a guy just a notch below them. A potential dominant and deep bullpen in our minors now ? I haven't seen 1 dominant RP pitcher ever come from the Sox minors no matter how good the system was .

The Sox turned Bobby Jenks out at the top of the list.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 07:16 AM)
Then I’m all for taking him.

Yeah, he's definitely in my to 3 favorite available. I feel like we won't take 2 rule 5 guys, but maybe if one of them is Burdi because he can be stashed on the DL for a while and then should be okay occasionally coming out of the pen for the rest of the year.

Also I think sox may do another 8-10 million per year signing if they get a starter.

Jason Hammel was terrible last year, and royals are rebuilding. I wouldn't mind seeing if a trade could go down. I don't expect to give much of anything (like, jacob may) since we are essentially taking on salary of a bad player.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 11:44 PM)
If you look at his social media he has just started throwing from distance. I would say he would be back in time to get his required 90 active days in this year.

BTW, just this note on Burdi in the Baseball America article SouthSider posted:

If he doesn't get to 90 days on the 25-man active MLB roster in 2018, he would need to start the 2019 season on the 25-man roster to complete the remainder of his required 90 days.

Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017...rksGyBWKPpZd.99

If that’s true I’m even more in favor of grabbing Burdi.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
BTW, just this note on Burdi in the Baseball America article SouthSider posted:

If that's true I'm even more in favor of grabbing Burdi.

Yeah he pretty much would need to be active on the 25 man roster by July 1, give or take a couple of days. I love the idea of taking him personally.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
Yeah he pretty much would need to be active on the 25 man roster by July 1, give or take a couple of days. I love the idea of taking him personally.

Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but I think it implies as long as he ends the season on the 25 man roster the 90 day rule would rollover into 2019.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 12:07 PM)
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I think it implies as long as he ends the season on the 25 man roster the 90 day rule would rollover into 2019.

If he is on the active roster for less than 90 days in 2018 as a Rule 5 pick, then however much he is short of 90 days carries into 2019.

For example:

Debut is made on August 1, on active roster for 60 days. Then the player has to be on the active roster for at 30 days in 2019 before the player can be sent to the minors without being exposed to waivers or offered back to the original team. As long as they are on the roster in 2018 for 90 days or more, the drafting team enters into the 2019 season with no roster restrictions at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 05:13 AM)
The Sox turned Bobby Jenks out at the top of the list.

Kind of was waiting for the Jenks answer . He came from the Angels and while that in itself is not a big deal you could only name one and that was 13 years ago. Can we really expect anyone to just become a dominant RP with only a year or 2 in the bigs from our minors ? The Sox loaded up and guys who could throw hard before in the Aardsma era and that didn't work out so well.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 09:51 PM)
Kind of was waiting for the Jenks answer . He came from the Angels and while that in itself is not a big deal you could only name one and that was 13 years ago. Can we really expect anyone to just become a dominant RP with only a year or 2 in the bigs from our minors ? The Sox loaded up and guys who could throw hard before in the Aardsma era and that didn't work out so well.

This is a franchise has created all kinds of relievers.

The fact that we aren't talking about superstar relievers isn't a big surprise as there aren't that many out there in the first place. This team might have loaded up on relievers before, but this group is nothing like that. We are talking about multiple guys who have hit 103 in the same system. I would be curious how many teams have created multiple franchise type closers over that 13 year span. Hell even #1 in Chapman wasn't created by anyone. He came out of Cuba, so by your definition he apparently doesn't count.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 08:10 PM)
This is a franchise has created all kinds of relievers.

The fact that we aren't talking about superstar relievers isn't a big surprise as there aren't that many out there in the first place. This team might have loaded up on relievers before, but this group is nothing like that. We are talking about multiple guys who have hit 103 in the same system. I would be curious how many teams have created multiple franchise type closers over that 13 year span. Hell even #1 in Chapman wasn't created by anyone. He came out of Cuba, so by your definition he apparently doesn't count.

By my definition I said it was no big deal that Jenks came from the Angels, But OK when the Sox have the positions players and starting pitching to take them deep in the playoffs but not a dominant pen remember all this discussion on the Sox magically finding World Series worthy relief from our minor league system. I'm not saying the Sox won't have the pen necessary to win a World Series just that I think a couple of pieces are acquired from outside the organization either by trade or free agents.

Free Agents

Hector Rondon

Michael Pineda

Jarrod Dyson

Trades

Abreu to STL for Carson Kelly, Jake Flaherty, Sandy Alcantara, & Jonathan Machado

Garcia + Davidson to ARI for Pavin Smith & Anthony Banda

Draft

Nander De Sedas – SS

Roll into the 2018 season with the best farm system in MLB – by a long shot – with strong competition in several key positions.

Edited by pktmotion