White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:05 PM)
Keep in mind their newest asset is injury prone

They have no pitching

Judge is more of a very good player than perennial MVP as he showed post ASG

Rookie Manager

Not sold on them at all

Severino and Tanaka are solid. Tanaka didn't have as bad of a season as you think based on his numbers. In fact, he was lights out after June 15th. I had him in Fantasy Baseball, I should know. Luis Severino finished 3rd in Cy Young voting this past season.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 07:09 PM)
Severino and Tanaka are solid. Tanaka didn't have as bad of a season as you think based on his numbers. In fact, he was lights out after June 15th. I had him in Fantasy Baseball, I should know. Luis Severino finished 3rd in Cy Young voting this past season.

Let's see Severino once the league has faced him a few times

Tanaka is on the verge of TJS and is wildly inconsistent

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:18 PM)
I actually agree with you, if I'm Machado's agent I'm not letting him sign an extension now, he's hitting FA...

The only point I was making that if he's somehow open to talking about an extension over a 72 hour period, I think the Sox should come in with a strong offer to the O's. I know he would possibly be a FA the year after, but to secure his services for the next 7-8 years to me, would be worth sending over some assets now.

But that's far fetched to begin with. None of this is happening, ha.

Machado knows this, His agent surely does too, and I don't think this is worth discussing until a deal is agreed upon and a 72 hr window is granted. Let's move along without partaking in mental masturbation.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 05:54 PM)
Me too. No reason to give assets to someone you could potentially get for free.

Question: If the Yankees get Machado and Cole then how does that change things for the Sox? Realistically, at that point, the rebuild is doomed to nothing more than make the playoffs, hope and pray that you can beat the Yankees.

If the White Sox repeatedly make the playoffs only to be big underdogs to the Yankees, I would call the rebuild an overwhelming success. All we are looking for is repeated trips to the playoff lottery, then seeing what happens. Anything can happen in October baseball, just get there.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:28 PM)
If the White Sox repeatedly make the playoffs only to be big underdogs to the Yankees, I would call the rebuild an overwhelming success. All we are looking for is repeated trips to the playoff lottery, then seeing what happens. Anything can happen in October baseball, just get there.

Oh, I agree, but at that point winning even one WS would be an overachievement.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:14 PM)
There's no way we trade for him right now but if this tweet is a signal that the White Sox are open to spending big next offseason then this is good news.

I have absolutely no inside information and have heard nothing on the topic but they’re open to spending big next offseason, I’ll tell you that right now.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:39 PM)
I still feel like I must be taking crazy pills that I'm the only one weary of giving Machado who hasnt come close to being a bonafide middle of the order bat a 300 million dollar contract.

Are you kidding me? Look at his numbers. He was horrible the first half of 2017, but if he isn't a middle of the order bat, the team you have must win 145 games.

They aren't going to trade for him. But we can all be excited that they seem to have their sights set on trying to bring him in.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:45 PM)
Are you kidding me? Look at his numbers. He was horrible the first half of 2017, but if he isn't a middle of the order bat, the team you have must win 145 games.

I meant as in a premier hitter. I dont think hes proven that yet. Most everyone to get the money he will has hit on another level compared to him. Obviously his contract will become closer and closer to the norm for stars as the years go by, but man it just seems like everyon e is willing to fork over one of the biggest contracts in sports history no questions asked.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:39 PM)
I still feel like I must be taking crazy pills that I'm the only one weary of giving Machado who hasn't come close to being a bonafide middle of the order bat a 300 million dollar contract.

You're insane.

This isn't some guy who is rapidly approaching the wrong side of 30, next year will be his age 25 seasons. He's not even in his prime which is crazy to think about.

And don't let last year's slow first half dominate your judgment too much because during the second half he hit .290/.326/.500.

This is a guy who's good for 30HRs+ and 90RBI+ every year and has the ability to play an up the middle position at short and he's already proven to be a gold glove level defender at third.

Guys like at, at his age, do not grow on trees and are extremely valuable.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 07:10 PM)
Machado and Harper will get way more than ARod

Well of course, but if they were willing to go "there" then, why wouldn't they now? Obviously it has to be someone special like Harper or Machado. That was an unprecedented contract offer 17 years ago.

Edited by Jack Parkman