White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

When is the last time the dreaded 72 hour window actually took place? Legit question as people love to throw that around but I feel like I haven't heard about it in a while. I could absolutely be wrong on that though too.

Edited by Rowand44

Just met w Duquette as a media group. He met with several teams about trades. Some specifically about Machado. Said they are listening. That the focus is on having the best team in 2018. That may or may not include Machado.

https://twitter.com/danconnolly2016/status/...707524612935680

Duquette certainly didn’t sound like someone hell-bent on keeping Machado. Will listen to Best offers. Wouldn’t put a percentage on keeping Machado but said he’d like to keep him obviously.

https://twitter.com/danconnolly2016/status/...707830071480320

Duquette on Machado situation: “Let’s see how this develops. Manny’s got a lot of value to our club .”

https://twitter.com/danconnolly2016/status/...708304485060609

The bottom line with Machado is this: Duquette sounds more likely that he will deal away Machado than he ever has. That’s a significant development. Whether they do or not is a completely different story. But the wheels are definitely turning

https://twitter.com/danconnolly2016/status/...710776335151104

Forgot to tweet out a biggie. Duquette said there have been no negotiations with Machado on a long-term extension this offseason. Not since they explored it a while back.

https://twitter.com/danconnolly2016/status/...713224231702530

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 05:39 PM)
I'd still rather pass, hold the pitchers, and if he's not available as a FA target someone else.

I mean, if you actually are signing Machado to an extension you get rid of Fulmer and Dunning in a heart beat. Anderson is the only would I'd be shaky about moving.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:40 PM)
I mean, if you actually are signing Machado to an extension you get rid of Fulmer and Dunning in a heart beat. Anderson is the only would I'd be shaky about moving.

Agreed. I think I'd end up being fine with Tim being part if we're truly sold on Yolmer/Burger at third.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 05:39 PM)
I'd still rather pass, hold the pitchers, and if he's not available as a FA target someone else.

Me too. No reason to give assets to someone you could potentially get for free.

Question: If the Yankees get Machado and Cole then how does that change things for the Sox? Realistically, at that point, the rebuild is doomed to nothing more than make the playoffs, hope and pray that you can beat the Yankees.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 07:54 PM)

Question: If the Yankees get Machado and Cole then how does that change things for the Sox? Realistically, at that point, the rebuild is doomed to nothing more than make the playoffs, hope and pray that you can beat the Yankees.

That's just not how it works. We'll still have overwhelming talent and plenty of money to spend. F*** it trade Garcia sign Harper.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:54 PM)

Keep in mind their newest asset is injury prone

They have no pitching

Judge is more of a very good player than perennial MVP as he showed post ASG

Rookie Manager

Not sold on them at all

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:02 PM)
Man, I disagree with all of this.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the Sox acquire Machado for 1 year and just roll the dice, unless the acquisition cost would be minimal, which we all know won't happen. If they can get a 72 hour window for an extension, it's worth some semi-serious pieces so you don't have to worry about 29 other teams in FA. Otherwise, no trade.

In terms of the Yankees.....no, the Sox rebuild is not doomed because New York may acquire Machado.

"Semi-serious?" Other teams could get the extension window and offer serious ones.

Hahn knows

“It would have to be extended control,” Hahn said. “That’s an important part of this for us. We’re not looking at stopgaps, we’re not looking to jump up and contend for one wild card and then regress back. We’re trying to build something that’s going to last, and extended control is part of that.”

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/tags/christian-yelich

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:02 PM)
Man, I disagree with all of this.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the Sox acquire Machado for 1 year and just roll the dice, unless the acquisition cost would be minimal, which we all know won't happen. If they can get a 72 hour window for an extension, it's worth some semi-serious pieces so you don't have to worry about 29 other teams in FA. Otherwise, no trade.

In terms of the Yankees.....no, the Sox rebuild is not doomed because New York may acquire Machado.

I just don't know why Machado would sign unless it is a significant overpay. The only thing I could think of, other than what I really think it is, which is the White Sox making it known they will try to sign him next winter, maybe they trade for him, try to sign him, if they can't, flip him at the deadline , andif you are lucky, you may pull a Yankees with Chapman, and get more than you gave up, and go after him again in the offseason. That does seem a bit far fetched though.