White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:47 PM)
No one is suggesting it should be discounted. It’s likely that he will get a range of offers that are generally in the same ballpark. I suspect he will then choose from those teams based on other factors. We need to be competitive in those other factors as well.

Again, if the White So. Are going to be in the same range, why not just offer him an additional $17 million in year 1 to that offerthe money you would have paid him in 2018 to still lose and hurt your draft position.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:51 PM)
Again, if the White So. Are going to be in the same range, why not just offer him an additional $17 million in year 1 to that offerthe money you would have paid him in 2018 to still lose and hurt your draft position.

Maybe it will take more than just money to pry him away from New york. If the behind the scenes word is that he wants to go to NY because he likes it, maybe they can convince him to like Chicago just as much.

17 million in a 350 million dollar deal is pocket change to him.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:48 PM)
Maybe they get the feeling that they would need to offer vastly more money than New York. however, if he is comfortable here the price may not be quite so high.

The White sox will always have a middle of the road payroll. If they can save 5-10 million per year, that would allow them to build a better team around him.

I have no idea if this is what they are thinking but it makes sense. anything to get an advantage to bring him to the Sox instead of the Yankees. with the Yankees getting a gift in Stanton maybe they won't break the bank for Machado.

What is this based on? They were going to talk extension with Samardzija, didn't go far. Bartolo Colon took more money. Freddy Garcia stay d, but he knew Ozzie well and didn't get to free agency.

It is a pipe dream to think it will make a difference. Let some other team pay him $17 million in 2018, and watch how interested he will be if you take your same offer which is as good as any other team's, and add the $17 million you would have paid him in 2018 to the $30 million or so you offer to pay him in 2019. Added bonus, you save the prospects you would have sent to Baltimore.

Edited by Dick Allen

The White Sox know that they have zero chance at winning a bidding war for Manny Machado on the open market. No one else will say it, but I will.

Sure they will be "competitive", and "make an impressive" offer, and maybe even be the 2nd highest bidder. They will even give the "bigger contract offered in the history of the franchise". But they won't be the top bidder, and they know it. This is a calculated gamble that if they get Machado here for a season, maybe they won't have to be the highest bidder anymore, much like they have seen with countless other players who came back to the White Sox for less money over the years.

It is absolutely a gamble, but one the Sox seem to feel they have to make to have a chance at bringing one of the big boys to the White Sox. The fact we have to go back something like 25 years to talk about the last time the Sox signed a contract of this magnitude isn't lost on this franchise, and their actions now flat out tell me that they know they won't be offering the biggest deal... otherwise they wouldn't be looking at sending guys out to bring Machado here for a year early.

Go back and forth about whether it is worth it or not, and how dumb it is to do this a year early, but Rick Hahn is 100% tipping the White Sox view of themselves on the free agent market by being a leading offer for Manny Machado. Despite what people hope, the White Sox actions here are telling completely different.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 11:57 PM)
What is this based on? They were going to talk extension with Samardzija, didn't go far. Bartolo Colon took more money. Freddy Garcia stay d, but he knew Ozzie well and didn't get to free agency.

It is a pipe dream to think it will make a difference. Let some other team pay him $17 million in 2018, and watch how interested he will be if you take your same offer which is as good as any other team's, and add the $17 million you would have paid him in 2018 to the $30 million or so you offer to pay him in 2019. Added bonus, you save the prospects you would have sent to Baltimore.

17 million would be better spent helping to pay for Prado in a deal for Yelich.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 05:00 PM)
The White Sox know that they have zero chance at winning a bidding war for Manny Machado on the open market. No one else will say it, but I will.

Sure they will be "competitive", and "make an impressive" offer, and maybe even be the 2nd highest bidder. They will even give the "bigger contract offered in the history of the franchise". But they won't be the top bidder, and they know it. This is a calculated gamble that if they get Machado here for a season, maybe they won't have to be the highest bidder anymore, much like they have seen with countless other players who came back to the White Sox for less money over the years.

It is absolutely a gamble, but one the Sox seem to feel they have to make to have a chance at bringing one of the big boys to the White Sox. The fact we have to go back something like 25 years to talk about the last time the Sox signed a contract of this magnitude isn't lost on this franchise, and their actions now flat out tell me that they know they won't be offering the biggest deal... otherwise they wouldn't be looking at sending guys out to bring Machado here for a year early.

Go back and forth about whether it is worth it or not, and how dumb it is to do this a year early, but Rick Hahn is 100% tipping the White Sox view of themselves on the free agent market by being a leading offer for Manny Machado. Despite what people hope, the White Sox actions here are telling completely different.

Every White Sox player that reached free agency and came back for less, had a far longer history with the team than one season, and they weren't in the position Machado is in where he is going to sign perhaps the second or third highest contract in the history of the game. He will have players association pressure to sign the biggest contract he can.To even think the White Sox can get a discount is foolish, certainly not worth all the cost of acquiring him now.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 05:05 PM)
Every White Sox player that reached free agency and came back for less, had a far longer history with the team than one season, and they weren't in the position Machado is in where he is going to sign perhaps the second or third highest contract in the history of the game. To even think the White Sox can get a discount is foolish, certainly not worth all the cost of acquiring him now.

Who is saying get him for a discount? Most on here are talking about drastically overpaying.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)

I don’t disagree with your reasoning regarding the end result, but I don’t think it’s the money. I think they’re just concerned they can’t win even with the money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 05:00 PM)

Again, there are no actions. There are only reports from unreliable sources.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 05:47 PM)
Wouldn't an additional $17 million to his offer be better? Using the trade for him way, you have to pay him at least $17 million more than anyone else to be equal to their bid, not including the value of the package you trade for him, which, from what I can tell, you don't think needs to be very significant, which is ridiculous.

Do you really think the Yankees are going to let $17M cost then Manny Machado? If you keep topping them, it’s almost a certainty they’ll match each & every time. Trying to outbid them will just raise the overall price. We just have to be prepared to match whatever number the Yankees settle at and that becomes a helluva lot easier if we’re his previous team & he enjoyed his time playing with us. Otherwise he may not give us that opportunity.

I have no idea how the cost will be to acquire Machado, but the idea doesn’t make any sense if package required is significant and it destroys our rebuilding effort if he doesn’t resign. I’m giving Hahn the benefit of the doubt for now as I think he only does a deal if it’s on his terms and the price is moderate. If he gives up something crazy I’ll be just as pissed as you.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)
Do you really think the Yankees are going to let $17M cost then Manny Machado? If you keep topping them, it’s almost a certainty they’ll match each & every time. Trying to outbid them will just raise the overall price. We just have to be prepared to match whatever number the Yankees settle at and that becomes a helluva lot easier if we’re his previous team & he enjoyed his time playing with us. Otherwise he may not give us that opportunity.

I have no idea how the cost will be to acquire Machado, but the idea doesn’t make any sense if package required is significant and it destroys our rebuilding effort if he doesn’t resign. I’m giving Hahn the benefit of the doubt for now as I think he only does a deal if it’s on his terms and the price is moderate. If he gives up something crazy I’ll be just as pissed as you.

To the Yankees, if they don't get under the luxury tax, it's a lot more than that.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)

The thing is, with the huge contracts, history suggests that not all the offers will be equal, like you seem to be banking on. Texas blew everyone out of the water for ARod. The Angels shocked the world for Pujols, and Seattle offered $70 million more than the Yankees for Cano.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 05:59 PM)
The speculated move is something a team like the Cardinals, Astros or Dodgers should do, where they can compete with him this coming year and have a strong enough farm system to survive losing two big guys.

The Astros make zero sense. The Dodgers are determined to come in under the luxury tax this year so they can theoretically offer Harper or Machado even more money. Neither team is trading for him right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 05:05 PM)
Every White Sox player that reached free agency and came back for less, had a far longer history with the team than one season, and they weren't in the position Machado is in where he is going to sign perhaps the second or third highest contract in the history of the game. He will have players association pressure to sign the biggest contract he can.To even think the White Sox can get a discount is foolish, certainly not worth all the cost of acquiring him now.

Agree 100%. Any previous situation where a player signed for a little less with the Sox is completely irrelevant in this case.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:57 PM)

It's based on the fact that if the Sox make the deal they must have some kind of information that it would help their chances of getting him to sign a deal.

I don't think Hahn is an idiot. If he makes the deal he must have some inside information.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 06:15 PM)
The thing is, with the huge contracts, history suggests that not all the offers will be equal, like you seem to be banking on. Texas blew everyone out of the water for ARod. The Angels shocked the world for Pujols, and Seattle offered $70 million more than the Yankees for Cano.

I think more often than not these negotiations top out at a certain price price. Otherwise you get exactly what happened with the Rangers & ARod where they bid against themselves.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)
I think more often than not these negotiations top out at a certain price price. Otherwise you get exactly what happened with the Rangers & ARod where they bid against themselves.

But that is what usually happens. Greinke as well with AZ.

Some team will probably go nuts.

If the White Sox were contenders, I could understand it. At the very least he would help you the one season he is here.

Edited by Dick Allen