White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 07:16 AM)
I’m not saying the Orioles should or should not trade him now, but banking on an injury by the deadline to create demand is probably a bad strategy. And no one will forced to overpay for Machado if there are other quality options available. Donaldson is one name that immediately comes to mind who will likely be available. There’s just no certainty when it comes to the deadline. And it’s definitely not fair to assume a Chapman overpay. That is one of the biggest outlier deals in recent memory, even when considering the reliever premium in recent years. Look at what the Diamondbacks gave up for JDM last year. With this many sellers, there are typically good position players available at the deadline.

There is a lot of heat in New England on DD because Red Sox did not take a sniff on Stanton and have their sights on someone else. You can bet Boston will be all over Machado and/or Harper next year so I think Machado now goes to the FA market because his value has jumped with the Stanton move.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 09:02 PM)
LMAO! Could you be more of a wet blanket on this, this being one of the more exciting times in very recent White Sox memory, with the Sox going this aggressively at acquiring a premium talent like Machado? Chr*st on a cracker, already!

Here we have for the first time in a long time - a very long time, mind you! - our BIG MARKET ball club talking like a BIG MARKET ball club about pursuing a premium talent like this, a soon to be available asset on the open market, AND giving fairly strong indications that they as a BIG MARKET club will have the ability to meet the market demands and sign the talent long term. When was the last time a White Sox fan was able to get excited about this kind of free agent prospect signing? Yet here you are reigning down with your typical Debbie Downer, "Why, the Sox could never, ever...do this or...do that..." nonsense. As if it were a fool's errand to ever believe the team could make such an acquisition like this come true.

Why, then, should we believe your line of thinking on the unlikelihood of the Sox acquiring Machado vs. what the GM has recently and refreshingly suggested as a different approach when it comes to competing for talents such as his?

I might have taken this seriously from literally anyone else on Soxtalk.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 09:12 PM)
Hold on a second here. You dislike Reinsdorf as an owner more than I do, yet you legitimately think the White Sox would pay up for a free agent like Machado? Or maybe you are just being facetious?

All you have to do is read his posting history to know that he is 100% using an opportunity to troll me personally because he can't handle it. I mean like 5 posts ago he was talking about how boring this franchise is, and how they never spend on payroll. Either he is trolling now, or he has been trolling Soxtalk for years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 09:46 PM)
I feel like we will find out this week that Os aren’t gonna trade him.

Most likely. While the White sox may have one of the best offers, that doesn't mean it's a good one. After revamping the farm system for an extended good run, I doubt Hahn is making a substantial offer for the rental.

Rosenthal’s latest article suggests a decision should be finalized before the end of the week. He also threw out a couple trade proposals that he thought made sense, but not necessarily based on anything he heard.

Cubs - Russell, Montgomery, & a prospect

Red Sox - Boagarts, Rodriguez/Pomeranz, & Chavis/Travis

If the cost is going to be anything like the above, then we better be sitting this one out. I think both of those packages are absurd and if we offered anything comparable it would greatly reduce our prospect depth.

A couple other interesting nuggets. Rosenthal mentioned from the outside the bidding for Machado seems less than frenzied, but acknowledged that’s only based on known information. He also believes the Cardinals do not want to trade another promising young starter and mentioned both Reyes & Flaherty, which would seem to make them a tough match with the Orioles.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 06:55 AM)
He already has 2 bad knees. 3rd base is a reaction position. The ball come at you much quicker. Many plays require 1 or 2 steps . SS you have to range many steps into the hole or up the middle not to mention facing sliding runners when turning a DP. On 2 bad knees thats a lot of extra stressful steps and on the DP contact with runners much more often than you get at 3rd base.

Machado has two bad knees? That’s news to me

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
Rosenthal’s latest article suggests a decision should be finalized before the end of the week. He also threw out a couple trade proposals that he thought made sense, but not necessarily based on anything he heard.

Cubs - Russell, Montgomery, & a prospect

Red Sox - Boagarts, Rodriguez/Pomeranz, & Chavis/Travis

If the cost is going to be anything like the above, then we better be sitting this one out. I think both of those packages are absurd and if we offered anything comparable it would greatly reduce our prospect depth.

A couple other interesting nuggets. Rosenthal mentioned from the outside the bidding for Machado seems less than frenzied, but acknowledged that’s only based on known information. He also believes the Cardinals do not want to trade another promising young starter and mentioned both Reyes & Flaherty, which would seem to make them a tough match with the Orioles.

Those packages are nuts for a one year rental of Machado. Can't see the Cubs or Red Sox parting with that much talent.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 09:04 AM)
Yeah that's more than twice what I would be comfortable with the WSox giving up

Machado is projected to earn roughly $18 million in arbitration this season, worth it for him, but not a small chunk of change either.

I can't see the Cubs parting with 4 seasons of Russell + Montgomery + a prospect for one season of Machado.

The Red Sox package is steep too, twqo years of Boegarts + 4 seasons of ERod + a prospect

I'm passing big time at these projected costs

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 07:58 AM)

He has had surgery on both knees supposedly though it corrected a structural problem that caused the knee issues or something like that. His last surgery ended his 2014 season. He has missed 11 games total the last 3 seasons. Harper seems like more of an injury risk. hehas missed at least 40 games 3 times, missed 15 in 2016, and 9 his MVP season. It is hard to imagine he gets more reliable physically the older he gets.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 05:58 AM)

From August 23,2014

Orioles third baseman Manny Machado will undergo season-ending surgery on his medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL) in his right knee in the next week, a procedure that will repair the torn ligament and that is the same surgery performed on his left knee last year.

https://www.mlb.com/news/knee-surgery-once-...ason/c-91045502

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 08:27 AM)
From August 23,2014

Orioles third baseman Manny Machado will undergo season-ending surgery on his medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL) in his right knee in the next week, a procedure that will repair the torn ligament and that is the same surgery performed on his left knee last year.

https://www.mlb.com/news/knee-surgery-once-...ason/c-91045502

These are common for patella femoral pain syndrome (pain under the knee cap). He must have had congenital "loose" knee caps to have the surgeries on both knees.

He will not have further issues with them and will will have healthier knees as he gets older due to the surgeries. These surgeries correct anatomical deficiencies and are not done for "injuries" unless he had a dislocated patella which isn't listed anywhere.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 08:58 AM)
These are common for patella femoral pain syndrome (pain under the knee cap). He must have had congenital "loose" knee caps to have the surgeries on both knees.

He will not have further issues with them and will will have healthier knees as he gets older due to the surgeries. These surgeries correct anatomical deficiencies and are not done for "injuries" unless he had a dislocated patella which isn't listed anywhere.

This is exactly what he had. He also mentioned the surgeries would correct his condition and wouldn't be a problem moving forward just like you mentioned.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
The fact that this deal window was supposedly in hours, and now is going on a week tells me that Angelos is having second thoughts. I think no deal gets done with Machado until the tax deadline.

I think they'll hold onto him a little longer then that. ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
The fact that this deal window was supposedly in hours, and now is going on a week tells me that Angelos is having second thoughts. I think no deal gets done with Machado until the tax deadline.

Machado makes much much more sense for a contender, but there is not a clear fit in terms of a team 1) With the desired prospects that will part with the prospects 2) Who can easily absorb Machado's 17.3 million estimated salary 3) That O's ownership actually wants to move him

They should have dealt Machado a year ago for a huge haul and by waiting they will get far less for a rental.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
The Rosenthal article seems like an Orioles plant. It seems like they're desperately trying to get teams to up their offers or get others involved and no one seems to want to?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 10:12 AM)
Rosenthal already showed me how reliable he is when it comes to the Orioles when he said we were discussing Kopech for Machado. I don't believe any info they feed him.

I agree, but this s*** makes me very nervous. I just hope the Sox know what they’re doing. I have no problem throwing out a moderate offer in the off-chance it sticks, but we definitely don’t need to get involved in a bidding war. Having said that, I still can’t figure out what teams would actually overpay for a year of Machado. To me, it’s the Cardinals or bust and I still don’t see them giving up a package that much bigger than what they gave up for Ozuna.