White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
Maybe the Sox can take whatever they offered for Machado and use it towards Yelich

Yelich = Giolito, Robert, Hansen, +

( no thanks )

We just need to keep stock piling and developing. Any trades for established controlled stars is gonna cost way too much.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
Cameron wrote an article today suggesting the Indians go after Machado and move Ramirez back to 2B. That would be ideal for us IMO, subtract from their future years when we'll be competitive.

With Kipnis being moved to replace Santana? I guess. With the number of 1b available someone like Abreu via trade or Logan Morrison via FA might seem to make more sense than a forced position switch.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
Oh noes! They are going to "pull him off the market"! What great binary thinking they display over there in Bmore. No s*** nobody is going to offer you much for a rental that probably near 2/3 of clubs can't even come close to resigning. If they are hell bent on trading him then revisit it at the deadline they will have more leverage.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 02:04 PM)

( no thanks )

We just need to keep stock piling and developing. Any trades for established controlled stars is gonna cost way too much.

I'm gonna guess something closer to the Eaton trade, which the above package obliterates.

Rutherford, Cease, Collins and a flier is what I imagine it would be. But I'd also skip out on it.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
Cameron wrote an article today suggesting the Indians go after Machado and move Ramirez back to 2B. That would be ideal for us IMO, subtract from their future years when we'll be competitive.

I said this in this thread about 15 pages back. Why are the Indians not major players for Machado? Their window is closing fast and they are in win-now mode. On top of that, they can't rely on Kipnis at this point (plus he's being floated as trade bait) so Ramirez is their STARTING 2b next year just as he was at the end of last season. Machado is a HUGE upgrade over Urshela/Diaz. Plus, that type of addition more than offsets the loss of Santana's bat in the lineup. It makes too much sense for where they are currently positioned.

QUOTE (Quin @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
I'm gonna guess something closer to the Eaton trade, which the above package obliterates.

Rutherford, Cease, Collins and a flier is what I imagine it would be. But I'd also skip out on it.

I don't think that package comes close to getting it done. Substitute Robert for Rutherford and it may get done, but even then it still feels light (probably need a better second piece than Cease). But yeah although I was initially in favor of it I'll pass. Maybe after next year if Yelich is still on the market.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)

I think this is already the plan. We've already seen Kipnis in the OF and there is talk of Brantley going to 1B.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)
I don't think that package comes close to getting it done. Substitute Robert for Rutherford and it may get done, but even then it still feels light (probably need a better second piece than Cease). But yeah although I was initially in favor of it I'll pass. Maybe after next year if Yelich is still on the market.

Yeah, you never know with the Marlins, but that offer isn't even close. Ten teams would outbid.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)

I floated a Hansen + Rutherford package in another thread which I think is a good start. Depending on the rankings that come out, these guys could both be top 75 prospects heading into next season. I know Hansen might be off limits for people but Yelich would be tough to pass up. I'd be in favor of bringing in a cost-controlled star particularly position players because I just don't see Sox being able to bring in the top FA's. Yes we'll have the money, but do players really want to come here?

And don't forget, Sox have two top 50 picks in next draft that will help offset the loss of any prospects traded this season. Not to mention maybe dealing Avi, trading for Kemp and prospects etc.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
Wow, ZIPZ sees 4 war for Yelich and 1.9 for Eaton. Selling Eaton after that magical 6 WAR season was a stroke of genius. He'll be lucky to put a 4 WAR season before he retires.

I get the sense that guys coming off of major injuries like that are about impossible to project for statistical modeling.

QUOTE (pablo @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
I floated a Hansen + Rutherford package in another thread which I think is a good start. Depending on the rankings that come out, these guys could both be top 75 prospects heading into next season. I know Hansen might be off limits for people but Yelich would be tough to pass up. I'd be in favor of bringing in a cost-controlled star particularly position players because I just don't see Sox being able to bring in the top FA's. Yes we'll have the money, but do players really want to come here?

And don't forget, Sox have two top 50 picks in next draft that will help offset the loss of any prospects traded this season. Not to mention maybe dealing Avi, trading for Kemp and prospects etc.

Rutherford isn't top 100 and I'd be surprised if Hansen isn't top 50

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
Rutherford isn't top 100 and I'd be surprised if Hansen isn't top 50

I'm admittedly a Rutherford fan and liked the trade from the get-go so I will stick up for him. I am a sucker for the good-contact good OBP profile since the system has lacked it for a while. And then when the power comes he's going to rocket back up the rankings. I'd imagine he's still on some top 100 lists, maybe not all of them.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)

( no thanks )

Yes, the price for Yelich is going to be higher than Machado because of the very team friendly contract that he has going forward but I think his trade value might be damaged because of the team that he is currently on and the fact that it is widely known that he wants to be traded too.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
Yes, the price for Yelich is going to be higher than Machado because of the very team friendly contract that he has going forward but I think his trade value might be damaged because of the team that he is currently on and the fact that it is widely known that he wants to be traded too.

Not when 28 other teams would likely bid.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
I just don't know how Rutherford can be a top 100 prospect at this point. That's really crazy. Maybe he will develop, but if there aren't 100 prospects in the minor leagues you would take in exchange for him right now, the game may be in trouble.

He’s still young with plus tools, he’ll most definitely be a top 100 prospect.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)

( no thanks )

That's WAY too high. What you listed is essentially double the Eaton package, which was considered an overpay industry wide. Yelich will not command not garner that type of offer. Not even close.