2018 Spring Training notes and random tweets

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 12:58 PM)

I've been a bit skeptical of Robert but it seems like now that he's actually in the states and we are getting more evaluations that 1) he's a CF long term and 2) he's not just a toolsy athlete but actually has some baseball ability.

It's really exciting having all these guys in camp it absolutely can't hurt to have them all competing against each other in drills and BP groups.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing the Brent Honeywell news (he left with a trainer during warmups) reminded me that it's Tommy John season and I have my fingers crossed we get through it okay.

Luckily, unlike last year, nobody is surprisingly "taking it easy"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 03:12 PM)
670 The Score‏Verified account @670TheScore 1h1 hour ago #WhiteSox righty James Shields aims to reinvent himself and has made adjustments to his delivery, writes @MLBBruceLevine http://cbsloc.al/2CC9dpy

How many starts was it last season where he threw on that 3/4 angle? I feel like he wasn't that bad to end last year.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 03:29 PM)
How many starts was it last season where he threw on that 3/4 angle? I feel like he wasn't that bad to end last year.

I read 2 paragraphs on that same thing last year and am 100% clinging to him "figuring something out" so we can dump him & ease the pain of giving up a top 10 prospect for him.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 03:35 PM)
I read 2 paragraphs on that same thing last year and am 100% clinging to him "figuring something out" so we can dump him & ease the pain of giving up a top 10 prospect for him.

He started pitching with that angle towards the end of the year but I can't remember how long it was for.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 08:41 PM)
Pretty powerful article about sox prospect Mikey Duarte who lost his sister in that Vegas shooting. No idea he nearly died himself in our affiliate (athletic rarely opens articles to the public, so this is a special occurrence here for all to read) https://theathletic.com/254267/2018/02/26/w...vegas-shooting/

Don't know if it's a different article but there is also one on whitesox.com . Very sad and Duarte was very honest about how he dealt with it ,(alcohol and more alcohol). . The ticket to the concert was originally his but he gave it to his sister. Have to feel for the guy .

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 09:02 AM)
30 Clubs in 30 Days day for the Sox. 6pm.

Which is why the morning Hot Stove Show had a white sox slant to it. They talked to Hawk, Joel Sherman had some comments on the the Burger injury ( called him Brugman but later corrected himself) and injuries to Rodon and Burdi making the point I've been making about injuries derailing the best laid plans and how the Cubs and Astros made it look too easy.

Also talked about Harold Baines and his chances for the HOF . Had the cubs Sox game highlights pretty early in the show and talked about Kopech dating the reality show girl and appearing on that show. Also with the Hawk talk was a clip of Lauren Shehadi (MLB network reporter/anchorwoman) saying she had a crush on Hawk from when Hawk was in the studio I don't know when.

Apparently Shields will start Opening Day.

Daryl Van Schouwen‏Verified account @CST_soxvan 1h1 hour ago #WhiteSox' unannounced opening day starter James Shields' first start here March 8, in 8 days. Pitched 3-inning live BP Monday, will do similar on backfields Saturday, 50-60 pitches.

Daryl Van Schouwen‏Verified account @CST_soxvan 48m48 minutes ago Renteria said Micker Adolfo 'is ready to take some at-bats for us. He feels very good. Might see him pinch hit or DH (soon).' Eloy Jimenez hit today but no running. Will try full activity tomorrow. #whitesox prospects.