2018 Spring Training notes and random tweets

southsider2k5

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 02:14 PM)
What do we think of Abreus beard

One of hitting groups at @whitesox camp this morning features José Abreu, Luis Robert, Yoan Moncada and Eloy Jimenez. https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/status/...9199744/photo/1

I personally think he looks really good with the beard. Hahn said he's going to have to trim it up though before they break camp.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 12:46 AM)
Would they really have Abreu facing Kopech without the screen up in front? Why even take that risk?

I don't think Abreu was allowed to swing at those. I think it was more or less giving Kopech a reference point by having a batter. No idea why that batter needed to be Abreu though.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 01:38 AM)
I don't think Abreu was allowed to swing at those. I think it was more or less giving Kopech a reference point by having a batter. No idea why that batter needed to be Abreu though.

Could be so he gets used to seeing pitches at those speeds again. Let him get his timing down before actually trying to hit real pitches.

Edited by GenericUserName

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 01:53 AM)
Could be so he gets used to seeing pitches at those speeds again. Let him get his timing down before actually trying to hit real pitches.

All of the hitters do it. Collins for example faced Brian Clark just like that and didn't swing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 04:52 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen‏Verified account @CST_soxvan 1h1 hour ago #WhiteSox starters: Covey Fri, Hector Santiago Sat, Jordan Guerrero Sun, Michael Kopech Monday.

I feel bad for the fans that have to sit through a Covey start, even in spring training. Last year the first time I saw him was down at Camelback.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 07:15 PM)
I feel bad for the fans that have to sit through a Covey start, even in spring training. Last year the first time I saw him was down at Camelback.

If you go to a spring training game and care who plays and how much, you’re doing it wrong.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 08:18 PM)
If you go to a spring training game and care who plays and how much, you’re doing it wrong.

Wait what? Most people going are pretty hardcore fans, especially people coming from far out of town like Chicago or in my case Seattle. I'm totally not going down to Phoenix to see Dylan Covey. First year I was going to see Abreu and Eaton. Last year I was going to see Moncada and Anderson and Q. In fact last year, because of the WBC many of the "insiders" we talked to said we picked a good time because the stars and starters would be playing in the games the 1st week of March before heading to the WBC.

Sure you can enjoy the sun and the atmosphere (and that is exactly what we did at the Covey game, we sat next and had a great conversation all game with perhaps the most hardcore Rangers fan in existence -- dude was up cleaning pools at 4am that morning so he could get to the facility at 10am and talk to the players) but you're also there to be very close to your favorite players and for most people that is not the Dylan Coveys of the world.

Have to agree to disagree on this one. I've been down there for spring twice now and had a blast both times but I sure as hell enjoyed seeing Q pitch more than Covey.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/name-th...a-budding-star/

The official word from the White Sox media relations department is that Luis Robert’s name sounds like it looks.

Clearing that up is worth a paragraph or two because we expect to hear the name of this latest hot Sox Cuban prospect, a 20-year-old center fielder who runs really fast, hits with a lot of power and possesses tools compared favorably to the Sox’ No. 1 prospect, outfielder Eloy Jimenez. Scouts have compared Robert to a young Vladimir Guerrero. Some say he might turn out to be better than Jimenez.

:pray