Logan Morrison to the Twins

Chicago White Sox

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 25, 2018 -> 12:17 PM)
FWIW there is no discussion about banning anyone right now. Being an Eeyore and saying the same untrue thing over and over isn’t a personal attack on anyone at Soxtalk. And I doubt Reinsdorfs feelings are hurt

Not today, anyway! It’s the old bean’s birthday!!

:gosoxretro:

Jon Morosi @jonmorosi

16s

Logan Morrison has agreed to a contract with #Twins. @MLB @MLBNetwork

Jon Morosi @jonmorosi

33s

Source: Logan Morrison’s guarantee with #Twins is $6.5 million over one year. Escalators and vesting option could make it $16.5 million over two years. @MLBNetwork @MLB

Edited by Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 25, 2018 -> 12:17 PM)
FWIW there is no discussion about banning anyone right now. Being an Eeyore and saying the same untrue thing over and over isn’t a personal attack on anyone at Soxtalk. And I doubt Reinsdorfs feelings are hurt
Rick Morrissey has a rather interesting column in todays Sun Times. He thinks this so called rebuild is just another word for tanking. He doesn't buy into this tanking. He thinks its bad for sports in general. I happen to agree with him. I think this White Sox rebuild/tanking is wrong.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 25, 2018 -> 06:27 PM)
Rick Morrissey has a rather interesting column in todays Sun Times. He thinks this so called rebuild is just another word for tanking. He doesn't buy into this tanking. He thinks its bad for sports in general. I happen to agree with him. I think this White Sox rebuild/tanking is wrong.

:violin Essentially yes, they're quite the same. You don't have to like it, but you should accept it since it's year 2 of the process. Whining about daily it isn't going to make it go away any faster either.

That is nothing for a guy that had an OPS of 868 last year.

First thought is Mike Moustakas is probably going to be very disappointed.

Second thought is do you think we overpaid for Wellington Castillo given what has happened to the middle tier free agent veteran market. 2/15 Million contact. I am wondering if Lucroy receives more than a one year contract.

QUOTE (kwill @ Feb 25, 2018 -> 07:02 PM)
That is nothing for a guy that had an OPS of 868 last year.

First thought is Mike Moustakas is probably going to be very disappointed.

Second thought is do you think we overpaid for Wellington Castillo given what has happened to the middle tier free agent veteran market. 2/15 Million contact. I am wondering if Lucroy receives more than a one year contract.

Absolutely, when you consider how this market has played out and Wellington was smart to take the offer rather than wait like some of these other guys (e.g. Alex Cobb).

He is absolutely right.

The problem is that tanking has been proven to be one of the best paths to a championship, so teams and fans have embraced it.

While it sucks for the fans during the tanking, nobody has any regrets if it ends in success.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 25, 2018 -> 07:29 PM)
He is absolutely right.

The problem is that tanking has been proven to be one of the best paths to a championship, so teams and fans have embraced it.

While it sucks for the fans during the tanking, nobody has any regrets if it ends in success.

He is also right that it is bad for the sport to have teams trying not to win.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 25, 2018 -> 08:29 PM)
He is absolutely right.

Not really seeing who you get back and watching the kids grow is a hell of alot more exciting then watching a team going nowhere

Edited by wrathofhahn

I'd argue that as long as a team is showing up to games every day, they're going to try to win. Just because upper management isn't making foolhardy free agent investments or stupid trades (like the Shields one) to "fortify" the MLB team doesn't mean they are tanking the season. We are already pushing several of our top prospects to the MLB level, with perhaps more joining this season. It is expected of them that they will contribute to MLB wins. Welcome to the modern age of baseball. High end young talent wins in this day and age and if that's not the goal for every team, they're doing it wrong. No one is going to hand a team a bevy of young uber talented prospects, there is a price that must be paid for it and that price is having a team that probably won't be as competitive for a spell.

Well I know we all long for the days of 200 strike out years from Dunn and 75-80 wins, but hey what can you do

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 25, 2018 -> 08:37 PM)
Not really seeing who you get back and watching the kids grow is a hell of alot more exciting then watching a team going nowhere

I havent followed the progress of prospects and rookies this closely in my entire life.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 25, 2018 -> 08:29 PM)
He is absolutely right.

WRONG. The fans who die before the success will have regrets on their deathbeds.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 25, 2018 -> 08:37 PM)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 25, 2018 -> 08:57 PM)
Well I know we all long for the days of 200 strike out years from Dunn and 75-80 wins, but hey what can you do

I havent followed the progress of prospects and rookies this closely in my entire life.

I do agree with all of this, but I also think most tank jobs don't look as pretty as the Sox does

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 25, 2018 -> 09:24 PM)
I do agree with all of this, but I also think most tank jobs don't look as pretty as the Sox does

The sox fortunately had three extremely valuable pieces to kickstart things. Teams like the Cubs and Astros had to truly bottom out

https://www.mlb.com/news/twins-should-sign-...ynn/c-267222472

Why the Twins needs to go ahead and add Arrieta/Lynn/Cobb to Odorizzi and Morrison

Were the Twins rebuilding? Well, yes...but they also are going to lose Mauer (had to keep due to contract), Santana and Dozier. They had to be super patient with Buxton, who still had JUST a 727 OPS last year but had huge defensive value in CF. Sano went through his sexual harassment allegations.

They've always been a "low budget" operation (other than Mauer deal) for much of the last 20-30 years, despite Pohlad being one of the richest owners in baseball.

If you look at their "rebuild," it has largely been based on castoffs and vets like Robbie Grossman, Erwin Santana, Eduardo Escobar, Kepler, Vargas and Edwin Rosario.

They have their "theoretically awesome" core of Berrios, Buxton and Sano...but it's a fragile one, unless Buxton can be an 825-875 OPS superstar and not just a great defender with Brian Anderson's hitting ability.

They were 12 and 16 games behind the INDIANS on the two projection systems, but both teams are counting on repeats from Morrison and Yonder Alonso after fairly pedestrian career numbers. Odorrizi didn't cost them that much, but adding Arrieta definitely would. Plus, Santana's out the first 2 months at least, but they pretty much have to go for it, right?

Edited by caulfield12