Should the Sox attempt to extend some of their talent?

wrathofhahn

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (aryzner @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 10:35 PM)
3.5 bWAR last year

-0.1 in 2016

Oops I looked at it wrong!

However... I still think its way to early to pronounce the greatness of Yolmer Sanchez.

Fan graphs had him ranked 2.2 war #14 ranked 2b last year.

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 03:23 PM)
Of course, we should extend Avi and Jose. Considering all the bone headed mistakes this franchise has made, so what if we overpay slightly.

Good post. If we are going to win an ALCS we are going to need Avi and Abreu. You can't do it with all new guys. I would expect Hahn knows all this and those 2 will be part of the title team(s).

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 10:23 AM)
Of course, we should extend Avi and Jose. Considering all the bone headed mistakes this franchise has made, so what if we overpay slightly.

Avi and Jose must stay in my view. Some people want to keep trading our best pieces for more prospects. Love Sanchez but he is more of a supersub in my view which is plenty valuable. Time to mix and match a couple of bullpen pieces on the Charlotte Shuttle.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 07:39 PM)
I wouldn't extend Abreu or Avi until seasons end.

Last offseason at the start of December I was saying either extend them now or trade them. After watching how last offseason played out, I'm not so sure any more, that call may have been wrong and I think 2k5 may have a point in this thread

Yeah they could continue putting up strong seasons, but decent seasons could still leave them hanging out at the end of the FA market after 3 or 4 other guys take the remaining money. Goldschmidt is a FA the same year as Abreu, so is Smoak, so he might well be the 3rd 3b on the market and the oldest of them. Other teams might blow their money on that lefty starter at the front of Boston's rotation. If he stays healthy, the best OF on the market could be Adam Eaton. And if a team like the Yankees or Dodgers decides to keep their powder dry in 2020...in 2021 this dude named Mike Trout becomes a free agent, and he won't turn 29 until the middle of the next season, so good lord imagine that contract.

There's a nonzero chance that where this market is going, these guys deals wind up unusually depressed compared to what it would take to extend them right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 06:45 PM)
Last offseason at the start of December I was saying either extend them now or trade them. After watching how last offseason played out, I'm not so sure any more, that call may have been wrong and I think 2k5 may have a point in this thread

Yeah they could continue putting up strong seasons, but decent seasons could still leave them hanging out at the end of the FA market after 3 or 4 other guys take the remaining money. Goldschmidt is a FA the same year as Abreu, so is Smoak, so he might well be the 3rd 3b on the market and the oldest of them. Other teams might blow their money on that lefty starter at the front of Boston's rotation. If he stays healthy, the best OF on the market could be Adam Eaton. And if a team like the Yankees or Dodgers decides to keep their powder dry in 2020...in 2021 this dude named Mike Trout becomes a free agent, and he won't turn 29 until the middle of the next season, so good lord imagine that contract.

There's a nonzero chance that where this market is going, these guys deals wind up unusually depressed compared to what it would take to extend them right now.

You’re forgetting that the Eaton deal has two affordable options through 2021.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/washington-nati...am-eaton-11309/

I would take Abreu over Smoak in win now mode based on overall track record, but that could change if Smoak repeats.

Like Belt because of his defense...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (harkness @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 04:11 PM)
Oops I looked at it wrong!

However... I still think its way to early to pronounce the greatness of Yolmer Sanchez.

Fan graphs had him ranked 2.2 war #14 ranked 2b last year.

I'd take a middle-of-the-pack starter as a switching-hitting supersub with superb defense and power any day of the week.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2018 -> 07:45 PM)

I have a few things on my mind as to where I'm coming from.

1) let's see how Avi performs this season. Would like to see if he can duplicate or even surpass his 2017 numbers.

2) it appears as though Davidson could potentially be a long term solution at 1B or DH. Like Avi, would like to see If he continues his progression . If so then he'll be around for the next contender. I've completely done a 180 on Davidson after seeing his short compact Konerko like swing and so far seems to show a better batting eye.

3) I'd like to see how Collins and Zavala progress this year as well. One of them could stick at catcher and the other end up a 1B/DH to pair with Davidson for those two spots. With Collins batting eye, if he has fixed the hitch in his swing he has monster middle of the order potential, and from the left side too.

4) would like to see how some of the Sox young minor league OF talent does this year. Eloy is going to be penciled in at some point, likely left field. If Robert stays healthy he has potential to be a fast mover according to baseball folks. Then there's potential for Adolfo to come into the fold next year if he has the big year I suspect he'll have. He's off to a great start so far.

By no means am I counting on all this to happen but willing to wait and see how the 2018 season plays out.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 01:29 AM)
2) it appears as though Davidson could potentially be a long term solution at 1B or DH. Like Avi, would like to see If he continues his progression . If so then he'll be around for the next contender. I've completely done a 180 on Davidson after seeing his short compact Konerko like swing and so far seems to show a better batting eye.

I try not to. However, it's hard not to make the Konerko comparison with that new/shortened swing of his, isn't it? They even look a bit similar. Somewhat similar demeanor and mannerisms as well.

I agree that it's impossible not to put him in the "long-term" conversation at this point. Could be short-lived... but we'll see. I've gotten my hopes up a bit as well.

QUOTE (Richie @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 06:18 AM)
I try not to. However, it's hard not to make the Konerko comparison with that new/shortened swing of his, isn't it? They even look a bit similar. Somewhat similar demeanor and mannerisms as well.

I agree that it's impossible not to put him in the "long-term" conversation at this point. Could be short-lived... but we'll see. I've gotten my hopes up a bit as well.

Let's see him slash .280/.360/.530, then we can talk Konerko comparisons.

QUOTE (Richie @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 06:18 AM)

Before the board went down for maintenance I said somewhere in a thread that I have zero confidence in Davidson. But after hearing about how he worked with Paulie and seeing that similar short compact swing, I've changed my tune and am willing to see how the 2018 plays out for Davidson.

Edited by BlackSox13