Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

21 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Someone post a link to that thread 

A couple people wanted Trout if he fell to our 2nd round pick at 38, particularly Fathom, but no one in the entire thread was wanting him with the first round pick, they wanted a pitcher. Here is literally the only post that was made when the Angels picked Mike Trout:

On 6/9/2009 at 7:05 PM, ThunderBolt said:

The Angels sure do love OF's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

A couple people wanted Trout if he fell to our 2nd round pick at 38, particularly Fathom, but no one in the entire thread was wanting him with the first round pick, they wanted a pitcher. Here is literally the only post that was made when the Angels picked Mike Trout:

LOL

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

LOL

Mike Trout was the best high school player in the country, it wasn't close, but scouts back then definitely over thought his competition level and discrediting his tools and production because of that. You could easily argue that Trout and Josh Hamilton were the two best high school baseball players in the past 30+ years - in my lifetime. J Up was pretty unreal too.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Hindsight being 20/20 and all.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Moncada has been the best player on the team and he's getting zero national attention. Why? 

He's too reserved to be a star on the national level in the fame sense imo. The national media is interested in drama. Timmy creates drama, Yoan probably never will. That's fine w me, just go mash. 

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Part of why Moncada won't get too hyped is that his value is being above average to good at every phase of the game.   Add it all up and he's a 5 WAR talent but it comes in quiet ways for the most part outside his rocket HRs or reaction plays at 3B.

He's going to have 6-8 WAR seasons even if he doesn't run. If they let him run, the sky is the limit. He had 40 SB at every level of the minors but somehow they're neutering that tool in MLB. Why? 

Yes, he's well above average at everything but not exceptional at anything. But he's 24 and is only scratching the surface of his talent. He's eventually going to be exceptional at something, and I think that he can tap into his power a LOT more while still being a great hitter. What's more valuable hitting .285 with 40+ HR or hitting .310 with 30+ HR? He has the ability to do both. It's a shame Matt Chapman is in the AL because Moncada has quietly become an outstanding 3B. I think part of Moncada's lack of appeal is that he's quiet and makes everything look effortless. He makes tough plays look easy at 3B which is why he isn't getting a ton of recognition for his D. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He's going to have 6-8 WAR seasons even if he doesn't run. If they let him run, the sky is the limit. He had 40 SB at every level of the minors but somehow they're neutering that tool in MLB. Why? 

Yes, he's well above average at everything but not exceptional at anything. But he's 24 and is only scratching the surface of his talent. He's eventually going to be exceptional at something, and I think that he can tap into his power a LOT more while still being a great hitter. What's more valuable hitting .285 with 40+ HR or hitting .310 with 30+ HR? He has the ability to do both. It's a shame Matt Chapman is in the AL because Moncada has quietly become an outstanding 3B. I think part of Moncada's lack of appeal is that he's quiet and makes everything look effortless. He makes tough plays look easy at 3B which is why he isn't getting a ton of recognition for his D. 

I have a hard time calling anybody a 6+ true talent player.  For Moncada what would that look like?  Probably about what it does now except with another 20 points of OBP and slugging so something like a 300/370/550 line and then a win of value at 3rd defensively and maybe another half on the bases.  So about 6 with the bat and then 1.5 with defense and baserunning.

He can do it but I don't think that's his true talent level, at least not right now.  Maybe when he's 26-29.

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Moncada has been the best player on the team and he's getting zero national attention. Why? 

Also probably prospect fatigue. Was hyped as the best prospect in baseball for like 2-3 years so people were a little annoyed and then when he was mediocre for 2 years in the majors he was declared a bust.

Will take sime time to rebuild his stock.

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

We are playing with 2/3rds of the eventual lineup in place.  Once Robert, Madrigal & our new right fielder join in...this lineup will make Moncada's numbers and everyone elses grow.  Our future lineup will wear down the opposition with it's unusual amount of power & speed.  Not long now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

We are playing with 2/3rds of the eventual lineup in place.  Once Robert, Madrigal & our new right fielder join in...this lineup will make Moncada's numbers and everyone elses grow.  Our future lineup will wear down the opposition with it's unusual amount of power & speed.  Not long now.

There isn't going to be an easy PA for our opponents. It will be fun. We can only hope that this works better than it has on the other side of town. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

There isn't going to be an easy PA for our opponents. It will be fun. We can only hope that this works better than it has on the other side of town. 

Seriously? The North Siders have made the playoffs 4 consecutive years and have won a World Series. I won't be complaining if the Sox rebuild equals that. 

Also, it is only July 3. Still a lot of baseball left to be played and Theo may empty the farm for some impact talent in a few weeks. 

Just now, OneDog847 said:

Seriously? The North Siders have made the playoffs 4 consecutive years and have won a World Series. I won't be complaining if the Sox rebuild equals that. 

Also, it is only July 3. Still a lot of baseball left to be played and Theo may empty the farm for some impact talent in a few weeks. 

Good luck with that

3 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

No, I would be happy with that too, but.....I think with the amount of hype the rebuilds on  both sides of town have had, anything less than 2 WS titles is a disappointment. 

The biggest thing to make that happen is that the Sox have to have better self-scouting than the Cubs did. The Cubs traded the wrong guys. The Sox have to trade the right ones. 

Edited by Jack Parkman