Will Bauer Theory take hold?

caulfield12

That veteran FA players (with the best training habits to keep them from breaking down) should start signing one year deals at higher values (he suggested $42 million for himself), thus taking the seemingly riskier year to year path in order to always play for contenders (also providing those acquiring teams the opportunity to deal them away for the final two months if the team underachieves?)

https://sports.yahoo.com/indians-pitcher-tr...-145202220.html

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 10:16 AM)
That veteran FA players (with the best training habits to keep them from breaking down) should start signing one year deals at higher values (he suggested $42 million for himself), thus taking the seemingly riskier year to year path in order to always play for contenders (also providing those acquiring teams the opportunity to deal them away for the final two months if the team underachieves?)

https://sports.yahoo.com/indians-pitcher-tr...-145202220.html

That's probably a good idea for the player. At 42 million a year or so, all he has to do is stay healthy to make similar money to a long term deal. Let's say he gets 42 million and sucks the one year. At that point he could sign a 2-year 60 million deal. Somebody would pay it. Or another 1 year deal for 30 mill. But he's always on a contender this way. This is not a bad idea for the player.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 12:05 PM)
That's probably a good idea for the player. At 42 million a year or so, all he has to do is stay healthy to make similar money to a long term deal. Let's say he gets 42 million and sucks the one year. At that point he could sign a 2-year 60 million deal. Somebody would pay it. Or another 1 year deal for 30 mill. But he's always on a contender this way. This is not a bad idea for the player.

No team is paying that kind of money for a 4th/5th starter.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 12:33 PM)
I posted this article in the AL Central thread and I just reread it and did not see him suggest $42 million anywhere in it.

He definitely did, I read it and saw it. Did you click the "continue story" button?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 12:34 PM)
He definitely did, I read it and saw it. Did you click the "continue story" button?

No, I had missed it originally, but he isn't really suggesting he could get $42 million, he is trolling, using 420 and 69 as much as he can in all the proposed figures.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 11:36 AM)
No, I had missed it originally, but he isn't really suggesting he could get $42 million, he is trolling, using 420 and 69 as much as he can in all the proposed figures.

Yeah, just got this. Hence the "42.0 million" bit. Har har.

It's funny that we all believed he valued himself that way because he constantly says and does dumb stuff.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 11:44 AM)
The title of the article even says he is trolling. Not sure how people missed that and thought he was serious lol.

I think he's dead serious about the one-year deal thing. Just not about the numbers.

He fooled me. I figure these ballplayers today would easily throw around 40 million a year as their asking price for a 1-year deal. Foolish me. 25 million is probably the limit for somebody who is not a superstar for a 1-year deal.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 08:46 PM)
He fooled me. I figure these ballplayers today would easily throw around 40 million a year as their asking price for a 1-year deal. Foolish me. 25 million is probably the limit for somebody who is not a superstar for a 1-year deal.

Keep going lower.