Bye Bye Bartolo?

YASNY

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much of a suprise there although I think he's wrong in saying he's the only big guy who'll be on da market. Philly mite not resign Kevin Millwood so there's another guy. I could actually really see him in San Diego next year, but I don't think either Seattle or Anaheim could afford him. Good to see he doesn't really want to pitch for Boston or da Yanks though. That's promising.

"A source in the Colon camp told the Daily Southtown that, although the pitcher would like to return to the South Side, the Sox's three-year, $30 million-plus offer, was not enough money."

I don't get it man, never will. If he wants to stay, and he really likes it here, how in the world can a position for 3 years and 30 FRIGGIN" MILLION DOLLARS NOT BE ENOUGH!?! I am pretty sure a person can survive on $10,000,000 a year.

If that is the case, and he isn't happy with that much money, fine, let him go. Sorry, but if we are offering him more money than has been paid out before (to a pitcher or whoever), and it is obvious we are looking to make a run, and we are not just sitting back on our asses, and he isn't happy about it, then he ain't here for a "team" type of thing anyway, and good riddance.

Just my opinion, and when I take over the Sox as GM, then it will matter, but until then, what the hell do I know? :huh:

"A source in the Colon camp told the Daily Southtown that, although the pitcher would like to return to the South Side, the Sox's three-year, $30 million-plus offer, was not enough money."

I don't get it man, never will. If he wants to stay, and he really likes it here, how in the world can a position for 3 years and 30 FRIGGIN" MILLION DOLLARS NOT BE ENOUGH!?! I am pretty sure a person can survive on $10,000,000 a year.

If that is the case, and he isn't happy with that much money, fine, let him go. Sorry, but if we are offering him more money than has been paid out before (to a pitcher or whoever), and it is obvious we are looking to make a run, and we are not just sitting back on our asses, and he isn't happy about it, then he ain't here for a "team" type of thing anyway, and good riddance.

Just my opinion, and when I take over the Sox as GM, then it will matter, but until then, what the hell do I know?  :huh:

Kid Gleason, ya from Harvard, Illinois. I used to know people from there.

Thing is if you think you are worth 50% more than what you are offered, then you try somewhere else. It is all perspective. With the poverty rate 1 in 7, there are plenty of people who would wonder why I feel the need to look for a better paying job when I am in the mid 20's, but personally I know I should be in the mid 30's.

Kinda lost me there South. He isn't really close to the poverty level, and if he is looking to $12.5 mil, that isn't 50% more. Ya know? If in our world, you are making $20 thou, and you can get mid to upper $30 thou, that is a SERIOUS pay increase. A person really has to struggle to make ends meet on $20 a year, but with mid-$30 a year, if you are asingle, you can do alright for yourself.

Yup, I am from Harvard, but have only been so for a year now. Born in Chicago, but lived my whole life in Crystal Lake. If you know somebody from Crystal Lake who has been there for years, and is about 33, chances are good that I know them.

But I only know a few people from Harvard, and oddly enough I knew them when I was a teenager and we all lived in Crystal Lake, and I just found them again recently when I moved to Harvard! Strange, our kids were on the same T-Ball league! Last time I saw them we were running from the cops together, now we are at our kids T-Ball games! :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Kinda lost me there South. He isn't really close to the poverty level, and if he is looking to $12.5 mil, that isn't 50% more. Ya know? If in our world, you are making $20 thou, and you can get mid to upper $30 thou, that is a SERIOUS pay increase. A person really has to struggle to make ends meet on $20 a year, but with mid-$30 a year, if you are asingle, you can do alright for yourself.

Yup, I am from Harvard, but have only been so for a year now. Born in Chicago, but lived my whole life in Crystal Lake. If you know somebody from Crystal Lake who has been there for years, and is about 33, chances are good that I know them.

But I only know a few people from Harvard, and oddly enough I knew them when I was a teenager and we all lived in Crystal Lake, and I just found them again recently when I moved to Harvard! Strange, our kids were on the same T-Ball league! Last time I saw them we were running from the cops together, now we are at our kids T-Ball games!  :lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting

His agent thinks he can get $15 mil, which is where I got the 50%, and pretty much that is the way I set up my example also.

Hey, I agree with ya! I love Pettite! Always have since his first year and I saw that pick-off move. Granted, he isn't as lethal with it as he was in the first year, but the guy still is a definite favorite of mine! He makes it hard to hate the Yankees, but Jeter makes it a little bit easier. :D

If Bartolo leaves, I still think we have a good chance next year. Maybe we can get Weaver from the spankers and have em eat a good part of his salary?

Mark, please get off the Weaver kick. Weaver is the most overrated pitcher in the game.

And he is not even rated that highly.....

The problem I have with that article and baseball in general is this......

If a guy likes a city and a team and wants to play for them, what the f*** difference does an extra 2-3 million a year make when you are already talking $10 million? Is that going to help his credit score all that much?

Being extremely rich is the same as being dirt poor. In both situations, money has no real value. When dirt poor and you don't have any money, it has no real value. You never worry about money because you don't have any. Survival is more important. When extrememly rich the situation is the same, except that there is no value becuase you have so much you don't know what to do with it all. You never have any money worries, because you always have an endless supply.

Make sense?

Rex, good thoughts and good theory. Unfortunately, try explaining that to Colon's agent who likely gets 6% of the deal ... and the players association, who has a vested interest in setting the salary bar as high as possible.

I agree with you though ... isn't there a time when a player puts his foot down and says, hey, I like it here, cut me the best deal possible?

It never seems to happen that way with the White Sox, though.

If a guy likes a city and a team and wants to play for them, what the f*** difference does an extra 2-3 million a year make when you are already talking $10 million?  Is that going to help his credit score all that much? 

Being extremely rich is the same as being dirt poor.  In both situations, money has no real value.  When dirt poor and you don't have any money, it has no real value.  You never worry about money because you don't have any.  Survival is more important.  When extrememly rich the situation is the same, except that there is no value becuase you have so much you don't know what to do with it all.  You never have any money worries, because you always have an endless supply.

Make sense?

No. 13 million is better than 10 million, even when you are rich. :bang

If a guy likes a city and a team and wants to play for them, what the f*** difference does an extra 2-3 million a year make when you are already talking $10 million?  Is that going to help his credit score all that much? 

Being extremely rich is the same as being dirt poor.  In both situations, money has no real value.  When dirt poor and you don't have any money, it has no real value.  You never worry about money because you don't have any.  Survival is more important.  When extrememly rich the situation is the same, except that there is no value becuase you have so much you don't know what to do with it all.  You never have any money worries, because you always have an endless supply.

Make sense?

Why is it better? Think he'll actually spend the first $10 mil and need the extra $3 mil to get by??

Make sense?

Why is it better? Think he'll actually spend the first $10 mil and need the extra $3 mil to get by??

When you have Bart's diet, that extra $3 mil might come in handy later on...

Make sense?

Agents.. That's the problem. Get more Money... So i get more in my share

So let's say Bart's Agent get's 10% and he signs for 15 Million how much does he get? 1.5 Mil. Or even if he gets 5% it's still 750,000

The problem may not br Colon but his Agent who wants more for himself. Of course if Bart loves it so much He'll sign anyways. We offered he doesn't well Good-Bye

The reality is that this is these guys career, not their hobby. The utmost important consideration is their salary. If salary wasn't the number 1 issue, then all the major leaguers would simply sign with the teams they were fans of during their childhood. Sure, all things being equal, I would love to play for the Sox if I made it to the majors, but if come contract time I could get an additional 3 million to play for someone else, thats damn well where my allegience will go. Heck, even if I could just take the 3 million and give every penny of it to the March of Dimes, that would still be enough to sway me to join that organization.