Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

1 hour ago, flavum said:

MLB hasn’t cancelled the Marlins-Pirates next Monday yet. Wonder if they’re still considering playing it. 

And how about this...Ivan Nova could possibly start that game which would earn him 750k for his 30th start. 

Knowing the Pirates, there is no way he starts that game. 

8 hours ago, flavum said:

MLB hasn’t cancelled the Marlins-Pirates next Monday yet. Wonder if they’re still considering playing it. 

And how about this...Ivan Nova could possibly start that game which would earn him 750k for his 30th start. 

Eddie Cicotte: You said if I won 30 games this year there'd be a $10,000 bonus.

Charles Comiskey: So?

Eddie Cicotte: I think you owe it to me.

Charles Comiskey: Harry, how many games did Mr. Cicotte win for us this year?

Harry: 29, sir.

Eddie Cicotte: You had Kid bench me for two whole weeks in August. I missed five starts.

Charles Comiskey: We had to rest your arm for the series.

Eddie Cicotte: I would have won at least two of those games. You knew that.

Charles Comiskey: I have to keep the best interests of the club in mind, Eddie.

Eddie Cicotte: I think you owe me that bonus.

Charles Comiskey: 29 is not 30, Eddie. You will get only the money you deserve.

This stage technically Texas and Cincinnati are still possibilities for the #3 pick.  The lowest possible the Sox can fall as of today is 8th.

Texas has 90 losses and 6 games to play, so if they lose all six, and the Sox win their last six, Texas would pass them.  The Sox own the tiebreaker, so we only need 1 Texas win or White Sox loss to eliminate the Rangers.

Cincy has 91 losses with 5 games left to play, so they can also get to 96 losses.  The Sox own the tiebreaker here as well, so again they only need one loss or one Cincy win to eliminate them.

San Diego has 94 losses,  and 5 games left, so they can get to 99 losses as well.  The Sox won the tiebreaker so would pick first in the event of a tie, meaning the Sox actually need 4 losses or Padres wins to eliminate them.

Detroit has 93 losses and 6 games left so they can get to 99 losses.  The Tigers are the one team left that the Sox do NOT have the tiebreaker with, so to eliminate them the Sox need a combination of 5 Tigers wins and/or 5 Sox losses.

Miami has 94 losses and 6 games remaining, so they can get to 100 losses.  If the Marlins play on the last day of the season, the Sox would need a combination of 5 losses and/or 5 Marlins win to eliminate them.  Where it gets interesting is if the Marlins don't make up the last game, the Sox would actually need to finish with more losses.  If the Marlins lose out, and finish at 61-100, the Sox would still need to lose all six games to eliminate them.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox don’t even have to play to lose these days...but at least Tim Anderson, White Sox “star,” made the national baseball news for calling out Joe West.  So there’s that.  

Hawk will be amused, at least.  Almost feel bad he couldn’t watch Tiger Woods over the weekend, instead.

Tiger is black, isn't he? Surprised Hawk likes him.

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Basically a free loss for the Marlins.

Isn't it opposite? If they finish with the same number of wins as another team they will pick lower because they have a slightly higher winning percentage because they played one fewer game. They can't mess up and win the game, but they also do not get to go to a tie breaker if they finish with the same number of wins.

18 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Isn't it opposite? If they finish with the same number of wins as another team they will pick lower because they have a slightly higher winning percentage because they played one fewer game. They can't mess up and win the game, but they also do not get to go to a tie breaker if they finish with the same number of wins.

Here’s what I mean:

Mia 64-97 -

Sox 65-97 0.5

Add a loss to the Marlins record...they still finish ahead of the Sox.

Sox 65-97 -

Mia 65-96 0.5

Add a loss to the Marlins record...same record, but the Sox hold the tiebreaker...as do the Padres and Tigers over Miami. 

As an example ,  after Sunday the Sox are 62-100. The Marlins are 61-100. That gives the Marlins a worse record. But if they had to play the makeup game, they might win it and then be 62-100. And here the Sox would gain the tiebreaker. Now that can’t happen. Of course if both teams have 62 wins after Sunday, then the Sox would get the better pick. 

43 minutes ago, Baker said:

As an example ,  after Sunday the Sox are 62-100. The Marlins are 61-100. That gives the Marlins a worse record. But if they had to play the makeup game, they might win it and then be 62-100. And here the Sox would gain the tiebreaker. Now that can’t happen. Of course if both teams have 62 wins after Sunday, then the Sox would get the better pick. 

What is the likelihood that the Sox play tonight? The forecast from 7-9:30 is awful.