5/11 - White Sox vs Cubs

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Totally this.  It continues to blow my mind when people act like they didn't expect being bad to look bad.  This is what rebuilding looks like.

Pitching is way worse than what was to be expected.

• Like 1

I see the reverence for Palka's bat as completely unearned. In spite of a large HR total in the minors the accompanying numbers haven't been terribly impressive and that was while generally being a bit old for the levels he's played well in. A whopping .860 OPS this season is what got him called up here — that's after mid .700s OPS in AAA in two seasons previous. I see him as a guy with a similar track record to what Delmonico had last year but with considerably higher risk due to his very poor athleticism and history of strikeout problems. I wouldn't write him off, especially since he's bopped some here in MLB, but he's a guy with warts and is a bad week away from having bad season numbers.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

People were living in a fantasy land if they expected the young pitchers to come in and dominate right away. 

I think a lot of folks rightfully expected Giolito to not pitch like a AAA pitcher with sub-AAA stuff. We also assumed Miguel Gonzalez was going to be a reliable 4.50-ish ERA innings eater but instead he was worse than all the other guys.

Just now, Jake said:

I think a lot of folks rightfully expected Giolito to not pitch like a AAA pitcher with sub-AAA stuff. We also assumed Miguel Gonzalez was going to be a reliable 4.50-ish ERA innings eater but instead he was worse than all the other guys.

Giolito has been very up and down for a number of years now.  Miguel Gonzalez is on the DL for being hurt, and definitely had diminished stuff when he was out there.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

People were living in a fantasy land if they expected the young pitchers to come in and dominate right away. 

It's not about dominating, it's about not looking like you belong in Birmingham. No one thought Giolito would look like the worst pitcher in baseball. Fulmer sucking was way more expected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It's not about dominating, it's about not looking like you belong in Birmingham. No one thought Giolito would look like the worst pitcher in baseball. Fulmer sucking was way more expected.

The extreme badness of the 2 of the 5 guys in the opening day rotation has hurt the Sox on-field product in a way that you'd expect.

EDIT: to be clear, the 2 of the 5 are Giolito and Gonzalez. Everyone I think assumed Fulmer might be as bad as he's been...that was baked into the expectations.

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

When you are talking about young pitching, regression shouldn't be a surprise, especially from someone who has been so up and down anyway.  We saw the same from him last year.  He was terrible for a large portion of the season with diminished stuff.  That alone leaves the door open to it happening again.

Especially when you contrast what he has done with Reynaldo's time here being about as good as could be expected, having somebody regress isn't really that big of a surprise.

I will also promise you that Kopech will go through the same crazy ups and downs when he gets here.  Don't be shocked when it happens.

3 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I understand the concept of rebuilding, but this is the kind of game that will test a fan base’s patience. This kind of game makes it embarrassing for fans to even wear White Sox gear. 

Then you weren't ready for a rebuild.

4 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I understand the concept of rebuilding, but this is the kind of game that will test a fan base’s patience. This kind of game makes it embarrassing for fans to even wear White Sox gear. 

Very embarrassing. I wish somebody would get fired.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They just suck.  In baseball being a bad player can sometimes manifest itself in not looking "ready", at least imo.

When Hawk gushes that the team never quits, they should expect days they get called out for quitting.

The bell curve of winning and losing teams in MLB should generally be .400 to .600, with maybe a team below and a team over. What’s going on now is terrible for the game, and I say that as a fan of the rebuild. The next CBA needs to address this for the good of the game.

26 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I watched the game.  He did watch the homer a bit and then pointed to the sky after the got to home plate.  I am okay with that, and I am okay with Contreras  watching his.  Just like I am okay with guys celebrating good plays, pitchers celebrating striking out a hitter to end an inning or game.  Its a game played by human beings and human beings have emotions.  People get butt hurt when its the other team doing it to them.  

Good post. I mean players don't deserve to get beaned their next at bat after celebrating just a little bit. It's a stupid concept. Some hitters celebrate a single or double pretty expressively. Who cares?

1 minute ago, flavum said:

The bell curve of winning and losing teams in MLB should generally be .400 to .600, with maybe a team below and a team over. What’s going on now is terrible for the game, and I say that as a fan of the rebuild. The next CBA needs to address this for the good of the game.

Amen, brother. 

1 minute ago, flavum said:

This is exactly what I expected for the early parts of the rebuild.  A small wave of talent arrived last year.  That doesn't change that this is a bad team.  This team needs to develop what they have and keep sending waves and waves of talent over the next few years.  Some of it will stick, some of it will surprise and some of it will disappoint.  Thats why its about numbers.  

The next CBA should address minor leaguers getting paid in slave wages.   Not bad teams.  

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

This is exactly what I expected for the early parts of the rebuild.  A small wave of talent arrived last year.  That doesn't change that this is a bad team.  This team needs to develop what they have and keep sending waves and waves of talent over the next few years.  Some of it will stick, some of it will surprise and some of it will disappoint.  Thats why its about numbers.  

The next CBA should address minor leaguers getting paid in slave wages.   Not bad teams.  

This is not in the true spirit of sports. Throwing away seasons on purpose is very sad and against the concept of sportsmanship. It's frankly a joke. You don't have to be THIS bad to rebuild.

• Thanks 1

Just now, greg775 said:

This is not in the true spirit of sports. Throwing away seasons on purpose is very sad and against the concept of sportsmanship. It's frankly a joke. You don't have to be THIS bad to rebuild.

You obviously didn't pay a lot of attention to the Cubs and to the Astros when they rebuilt.  

YAY, we lose. I need to get in the spirit of the rebuild. Just how we planned it. One game closer to a great draft pick. On to game two and Mr. Shields. I'll give him credit for a fine performance his last outing, but I am not a Shields guy.

Just now, greg775 said:

YAY, we lose. I need to get in the spirit of the rebuild. Just how we planned it. One game closer to a great draft pick. On to game two and Mr. Shields. I'll give him credit for a fine performance his last outing, but I am not a Shields guy.

You should like Shields.  Instead of keeping that pesky prospect they went for it and picked up a vet who knows how to win.  How great does that look now.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

You should like Shields.  Instead of keeping that pesky prospect they went for it and picked up a vet who knows how to win.  How great does that look now.  

I wasn't a fan of acquiring him. He wasn't all that at the time we got him. Ditto Soria. My gawd. Somebody must be fired for that acquisition. The Shields acquisition as well. Certainly nobody on this board was happy about acquiring Big Game James at the time we got him.