5/11 - White Sox vs Cubs

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

In what sense?

With his swing, I don't like how noisy his hands are and I'm not in love with where his hands start off. Again, there's nothing wrong with the results per se. And then in the field and on the bases, he just doesn't seem like much of an athlete. That's a sin that can be forgiven with production of course.

Palka passes the eye test in that he swings hard and when he makes good contact, he does damage. On the other hand, Delmomico's good contact is just deep fly outs. When Avi returns, I hope Palka gets Delmonico's at bats.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Palka passes the eye test in that he swings hard and when he makes good contact, he does damage. On the other hand, Delmomico's good contact is just deep fly outs. When Avi returns, I hope Palka gets Delmonico's at bats.

Agreed with this. Hope the Sox give Palka an extended look, he's earning it.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

he and Abreu are the only guys I stop what I'm doing and watch their at bats.  Palka just kills the ball when he makes contact...love me some Palka!

Just now, Wanne said:

he and Abreu are the only guys I stop what I'm doing and watch their at bats.  Palka just kills the ball when he makes contact...love me some Palka!

Yeah if an eye test doesn't like him, I hope he's not watching some of these other guys. I legit told my son to not do a single thing Engel does at the plate.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah if an eye test doesn't like him, I hope he's not watching some of these other guys. I legit told my son to not do a single thing Engel does at the plate.

Well what I say about Engel is that he swings like someone who has only heard about baseball swings from reading books but hasn't ever actually seen someone do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Fulmer is a useful example if you've ever wondered what it would look like if you called up a decent prospect who was just figuring out AA/AAA to the majors. You can see a MLB pitcher in there for short bursts of a few innings but he just can't keep it together long enough. Question will be how the Sox choose to deal with their developmental failure here. Fulmer might be able to work through it in MLB but it will take a lot of mental toughness; it's a very risky strategy but all we've done with his career so far is gamble with it.

I hadn't been in favor of demoting him, but if I were running the show I'd probably have Fulmer and Kopech swap places at this point.

The Sox have had a desperate habit of treating their top draft picks like superstars and it's actually kind of comical. I happen to like Fulmer and think he will settle into a positive routine before long.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

This pitching is epically awful. There were guys available, especially in relief, that could have been had for cheap but of course Hahn chose wrongly 

I think he brought in quite a few interesting bullpen options.  The problem is we started with guys like Minaya & Infante who are not major leaguers and the three anchors (Jones, Soria, & Avalin) haven’t been great.

Which free agents are you specifically referring to?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I think he brought in quite a few interesting bullpen options.  The problem is we started with guys like Minaya & Infante who are not major leaguers and the three anchors (Jones, Soria, & Avalin) haven’t been great.

Yes, I too am curious.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Eh, it is still in the second year of the rebuild.  The Sox are basically conducting open auditions for the bullpen at this point.  They really don't care about having a bullpen that can win games, but seeing if any of these guys have either value or use in the future.