5/11 - White Sox vs Cubs

Fulmer seems like a product of being a completely different pitcher they've tried to turn him into...as opposed to what he was coming out of college.  In college he was aggressive...most of the time with his fastball and had that hard curveball.  Now he nibbles with sliders and off-speed.   They'll give him every chance to succeed as a starter...but it's not going well.

Edited by Wanne

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He got lit up in inning 1. What would make you believe he is a reliever?  

It isn't like he has command of one or two pitches and it's the others that get him in trouble. Until he learns to throw strikes, he blows no matter what you do with him. And on those rare occassions he actually has an idea where the ball is going, he's a pretty good starter.

+1. He's either a starter or not a major league pitcher. He doesn't throw enough strikes to come out of the pen. 

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think a strong argument can be made to try developing Fuller as a reliever and doing so soon.  He can still be valuable coming out of the bullpen and we certainly could use help there.  I just don’t see how anyone who has followed Carson’s career could honestly believe he is starting material.

His inability to throw strikes wouldn't be solved by a move to the bullpen.

I also think it's misguided to try to develop Fulmer into a reliever anytime soon. His problems aren't ones that are likely to be easily covered up in the pen. The same things that would be necessary for him to succeed in the bullpen are the ones that he needs for success as a starter. If he gets to the point where he has some consistency but the thing holding him back is lack of a third pitch (or just too many solid guys ahead of him), then move him to the pen.

3 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

was his command this atrocious in college?

No, but having watched him in college it wasn't super surprising that he looks like he does now. He was a guy who was in that "effectively wild" type of mold, often pitching very deep into counts, etc. Add in more patient hitters who are better at punishing mistakes and you can see how he's struggled at the upper levels.

Just now, Jake said:

No, but having watched him in college it wasn't super surprising that he looks like he does now. He was a guy who was in that "effectively wild" type of mold, often pitching very deep into counts, etc. Add in more patient hitters who are better at punishing mistakes and you can see how he's struggled at the upper levels.

what a terrible pick, i am sure i liked it at the time however

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

You talk to Hahn and Co. candidly and I'm sure they would tell you the same thing. 

But in the "luxury" of a 2018 lost season, why not be 1000% sure and give Fulmer every opportunity to succeed or fail as a starter, where obviously he would provide more value to the organization (if he was solid of course.)

Again, I'm not saying he deserves to stay in the rotation....but if you don't have a better solution and you are just making a move to salvage something for 2018, then I have an issue with it.

That’s totally fair.  I just wouldn’t give Carson as much rope as someone like Giolito.  Like as soon as Jordan Stephens is ready for a look (assuming Rondon & Kopech already with team) I’m ready to have Fulmer transition to the pen.

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

And top it off with less confidence, there is a lot of trouble. He's had a few moments he has looked great. Hopefully something can happen where he can get to the point of getting pitches over the plate without having to groove them. Of course, as was pointed out, it's a problem with a lot of pitchers. If it were that easy to fix, teams would be lucky to score 2 runs a game. 

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

was his command this atrocious in college?

Yes, but the stuff was significantly better. He had a 70 fastball topping at 98 and a 60 curve. People need to remember that college starters have 6 days rest in between starts and sometimes they lose a bit pitching every 5 days. This seems to have happened to Fulmer. Unfortunately, you don't know who's going to lose some stuff on a short schedule until they are already drafted. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes, but the stuff was significantly better. He had a 70 fastball topping at 98 and a 60 curve. People need to remember that college starters have 6 days rest in between starts and sometimes they lose a bit pitching every 5 days. This seems to have happened to Fulmer. Unfortunately, you don't know who's going to lose some stuff on a short schedule until they are already drafted. 

Why couldn’t his stuff return if moved back to relieving?