5/11 - White Sox vs Cubs

I will give the Sox the benefit of the doubt in one regard. Moncada and Avi are hurt. That truly makes our current lineup not even a good one for a AAA team. Moncada and Avi with Abreu should be able to do a little bit of damage in Wrigley Field. We'd still get swept but again, without those 2 we really blow instead of just blowing.

Even in a rebuild that was embarrassing today. Fulmer looks awful as a starting pitcher but he is still young, I get it. But more errors, more baserunning blunders (getting picked off second when you are down five runs?) even in a rebuild guys should be expected to do the simple fundamental things.

This team is challenged even to do stuff that should have been learned a long time ago. Rebuild or not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I wasn't a fan of acquiring him. He wasn't all that at the time we got him. Ditto Soria. My gawd. Somebody must be fired for that acquisition. The Shields acquisition as well. Certainly nobody on this board was happy about acquiring Big Game James at the time we got him.

It's your turn!  You gahn!

• Like 1

Just now, greg775 said:

I will give the Sox the benefit of the doubt in one regard. Moncada and Avi are hurt. That truly makes our current lineup not even a good one for a AAA team. Moncada and Avi with Abreu should be able to do a little bit of damage in Wrigley Field. We'd still get swept but again, without those 2 we really blow instead of just blowing.

Avi has done nothing this year. Don't think he makes any real difference.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

YAY, we lose. I need to get in the spirit of the rebuild. Just how we planned it. One game closer to a great draft pick. On to game two and Mr. Shields. I'll give him credit for a fine performance his last outing, but I am not a Shields guy.

I criticize Shields and that trade too, but at least Shields is a competitor

I agree that not trying to be competitive is bad for the sport and something should  be done. But it worked for a couple of teams so until it fails with someone, which is a guarantee,  it will he consdered foolproof. 

It isn't as bad as the NBA. Yet. There being bad isn't enough. Not dressing your better players or pulling them during crunch time is becoming common. Who knows,  maybe Sept. 1 the Reds give Votto a vacation or the Sox tell Aubrey to go home and rest. If something like that happens, then something definitely needs to be down immediately. 

One thing I want to say... I hate the cubs.  I'll give them this - their team has been a fucking joke for the better part of 100 years, but somehow they have been a mainstream fast-food style success for a long time.

I'll give them that.

5 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

One thing I want to say... I hate the cubs.  I'll give them this - their team has been a fucking joke for the better part of 100 years, but somehow they have been a mainstream fast-food style success for a long time.

I'll give them that.

The Cub aren't worth worrying about. They are just another team after reaching their goal. 

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

The talent on this team is limited, but it's not this bad. 

Walks, walks, walks.  Where y'at, Don Cooper?

I read all the time on here the Sox need to call so and so up to work with Coop. Apparently Fulmer isn't one of those guys, as are a few more.

23 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I understand the concept of rebuilding, but this is the kind of game that will test a fan base’s patience. This kind of game makes it embarrassing for fans to even wear White Sox gear. 

I just left the game and this roster does make it difficult to justify paying a significant amount of money on tickets, parking, food. Atleast in this circumstance of having to travel to Wrigley

I fully support the rebuild and accept it's going to be a process; but damn, days like today make it tough to watch. There's just so much garbage

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Everyone expected bad. No one anticipated a 41 win pace vs. an easy part of the schedule.

Most of us were pretty ready for terrible.  The Astros won 51 in 2013 and I would be surprised if the Sox didn't match it.

1 minute ago, AustinIllini said:

Most of us were pretty ready for terrible.  The Astros won 51 in 2013 and I would be surprised if the Sox didn't match it.

This team looks that bad right now, but that's with no Moncada, and reinforcements in Rodon, Kopech, and Eloy on the way. I think this team will look a lot better in August than it does now, and I think Eloy and Kopech will force the issue and get to MLB this year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Everyone expected bad. No one anticipated a 41 win pace vs. an easy part of the schedule.

It also won't be a 41 win team.  But take away two top position players and the top starter away from a 70 win team and that tends to happen. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It also won't be a 41 win team.  But take away two top position players and the top starter away from a 70 win team and that tends to happen. 

Well we knew Rodon was going to be out a while. Moncada has missed about 5 games, most have anticipated Avi to regress at least a little. Expecting a team to go through a season totally healthy isn’t realistic. 9-26 is a bit short of even what you were anticipating when you said 69-93. 

60-67 the rest of the way seems a bit far fetched.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elrockinMT said:

Avi like many players might be a slow starter plus he’s been injured for quite awhile 

Avi always seems to be injured, or out of shape (by his own admission) and outside of last year has basically done very little since he was acquired as a "centerpiece" for a new beginning. (So much so the Sox put him on the cover of the pocket schedules that came out I want to say in 2015). It was a good gamble by Hahn but it didn't work out and they can cut bait with him soon enough.