2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

The Sox stated process at the top of the draft is to arrive at a final 6 or 7 about a 6 weeks before the draft.  After that point, they fine tune things among the 6 or 7 with no new names allowed in.  Hostetler said they had about 6 in an interview, and that got translated to exactly 6.  It is quite possible that the Sox felt he was one of their "super 7" six weeks ago, and they are talking to all the agents just in case.  In the end, though, he may have ranked 7th out of 7, and he still may rank 7 out of 7 on their short list.  It is kind of interesting if they had identified him as one of the seven best in any case.   Nick is on record that the Sox will get an "impact superstar" at #3, and he has implied that, unlike last year, the top of this draft is unusually deep in that regard.

The team I saw him most linked to before this rumor was the Rangers at #8 and they just had their own new rumor today with it coming out that they might take Kody Hoese. A couple people saw him taking BP in their stadium today. Maybe the reason they moved from Baty to Hoese is that they heard Baty might be gone by their pick, which would seem to fit with this new Sox rumor.

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Whenever he's played decent competition he's struggled. 

What are you talking about? He plays in the pac 12 and hes been the best summer hitter in the amateur scene for two years in a row. This is complete nonsense.

Once again Jack, stop making things up and present some facts here. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Baty is just 1 1/2 years younger than Vaughn. After reading that article by Kiley, about the Progressive approach, not yet fully embraced by colleges, I have a greater appreciation for the advantage of taking a prep prospect. Again, here is where scouting is really difficult and critical. If the Sox evaluate Baty as a talent worth picking 3RD, then they have the advantages of getting him into a professional program, and using a wooden bat, yet they don't have to wait as long to get him to the Big Leagues, as they would with a typical high school prospect. 

It's also interesting to note that Vaughn was not a very good high school baseball player. He really came into his own, when he got to college. In the final analysis, it all comes down to the scouting department. What the Hell do I know. I've never seen either one these kids and if I had, I wouldn't know how to determine whom to select. 

Edited by Lillian

28 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Drafting Betty would be reckless. 

Nope. I like Vaughn but a big, athletic 3B who mashes from the left side would be unexpected but not reckless. Depending on the economics, might even be genius.

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Nope. I like Vaughn but a big, athletic 3B who mashes from the left side would be unexpected but not reckless. Depending on the economics, might even be genius.

Kid is older than some kids entering their junior year of college. Doesnt even qualify to play on a lot of high school travel teams because hes so old.

Vaughn is a generational bat. To pass on Vaughn for some kid 2 years older than some of his peers would be bad.

What is athletic about him? Even for his age he grades out under the 50th percentile in pretty much every athletic trait.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Kid is older than some kids entering their junior year of college. Doesnt even qualify to play on a lot of high school travel teams because hes so old.

Vaughn is a generational bat. To pass on Vaughn for some kid 2 years older than some of his peers would be bad.

What is athletic about him? Even for his age he grades out under the 50th percentile in pretty much every athletic trait.

I know we're not supposed to talk about it, but Vaughn also fits the rebuild perfectly.  Say Baty is ready for the majors in 3 years....what happens with Yoan?  I totally understand picking BPA, but given the way the Sox do/don't spend in free agency, acquiring a bat like Vaughn is important IMO.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why does the age difference matter? They will both start their careers and journey through the affiliates at exactly the same time. One can argue Vaughn will progress faster but there is no guarantee (see Magrigal). In all likelihood, Baty will still reach the bigs at a younger age than Vaughn since he is starting his career earlier. 

Regardless, I think Vaughn is too risky to take top 3. All of his value is in his bat. If he's not a perennial MVP candidate it's a bad pick. 

I think drafting Vaughn is stupid and reckless. I don't care if he is potentially the best bat in the class. If he struggles at all in the minors he has zero value, even as a trade chip. I wouldn't touch him inside the top 10 most years, and this one I wouldn't touch him until #7 at the absolute earliest. 

If you're talking about Vaughn as a top 3 pick this must be a historically weak draft class. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Baty is 7 mos. older than Witt.

Not sure where you are getting data that suggests Baty isn't athletic. That just isn't correct. He's a two-year starter on a very good basketball team and by all accounts, he's a gifted athlete. Vaugh on the other hand is not. 

29 minutes ago, Flash said:

Why does the age difference matter? They will both start their careers and journey through the affiliates at exactly the same time. One can argue Vaughn will progress faster but there is no guarantee (see Magrigal). In all likelihood, Baty will still reach the bigs at a younger age than Vaughn since he is starting his career earlier. 

Age matters because it's a big advantage to be 2 years older than kids your playing against.

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Regardless, I think Vaughn is too risky to take top 3. All of his value is in his bat. If he's not a perennial MVP candidate it's a bad pick. 

I think drafting Vaughn is stupid and reckless. I don't care if he is potentially the best bat in the class. If he struggles at all in the minors he has zero value, even as a trade chip. I wouldn't touch him inside the top 10 most years, and this one I wouldn't touch him until #7 at the absolute earliest. 

If you're talking about Vaughn as a top 3 pick this must be a historically weak draft class. 

You said hes bad against good competition. Show me that.

Or Vaughn is a historically good bat prospect. You ever think of that?

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic