2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Spencer Torkelson will be next years Andrew Vaughn.

I'm sorry but there is absolutely no way a guy named Spencer Torkelson becomes a valuable major leaguer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Regarding that FanGraphs piece by Kiley; How is this "Swing Change" innovation relevant to a comparison of Vaughn and Bleday? Bleday is at Vanderbilt, which Kiley mentioned as one of the more "progressive" programs. Could that account for J. J.'s sudden emergence of power? What is the program like at California? Has Vaughn developed his successful approach on his own, or is he also a product of this new thinking?

I wouldn't really apply macro trend pieces to the micro level. Nobody is suggesting a swing change with Vaughn, but yes, Vandy is a wonderful program, who on average probably gives their players the tools that will offer the best chance to improve in college and get drafted. They improve players odds but plenty of players will get drafted out of programs that are terrible for the pros like Virginia.

On 5/30/2019 at 8:45 AM, GenericUserName said:

Wow, that is just crazy to me. He is a 6'4" lefty running plus to plus-plus times with 100+ mph exit velos and a strong arm in the outfield. This is a comment from PBR from ~6 weeks ago:

Ethan Vecrumba. Makes you wonder what round someone takes him and if he would sign . Guessing he might go around round 10 . Sure worth finding out his thoughts. Gotta wonder how committed he really is to Indiana.

I just listened to the Podcast, with Jim Callis. He would personally take Vaughn, if Rutschman and Witt are off the board. However, he has no idea whom the Sox will take. He feels that it's very close between Abrams and Vaughn, with Bleday as a close 3RD option. He reiterated that Abrams' comp is Dee Gordon, with more power.

His assessment of our last year's pick, Madrigal, is that he doesn't quite know what to think. He has the same question that many of us have; Is he going to hit for a high enough average, to overcome the lack of walks and low Slugging %? 

The new FG podcast came out and its mostly about the draft. They mentioned Fletcher as someone that could be heading to Vandy because he has a high number and was really under scouted because he reclassified late and it was rainy in Maine so teams didn't really get many good looks at him. I wonder if he is the over slot target that we are trying to save money on our first pick for.

3 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Am I wrong to think Abrams seems like a big risk? I don’t see an elite ceiling and I see a fairly low floor

I agree. Bryson Stott (SS UNLV) grades higher across every dimension and has a higher readiness level to contribute sooner but isn't quite as fast. Even if you don't love Vaughn, there are other players I would prefer, including Riley Greene and Bleday.

3 hours ago, fathom said:

SS version of Dee Gordon doesn’t impress me

Saying things like “dee Gordon with more pop” is a good example of how comps are terrible. Dee Gordon with more pop is not Dee Gordon. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Saying things like “dee Gordon with more pop” is a good example of how comps are terrible. Dee Gordon with more pop is not Dee Gordon. 

That was the Callis comp though. I like the Turner one someone just mentioned

Josh Nelson just shared a clip of his podcast with Longenhagen on Twitter and he says that he heard that’s Abrams’ camp has been calling around as if he doesn’t have a home in the top 6 at this point. He said it could be due to the Sox settling on Vaughn 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think whoever ends up taking Vaughn is going to be massively disappointed. I have some doubts about his ability based on his performance vs decent competition. 

I worry about the same issue, plus all of the other negatives, we've discussed. Whom do you like? You know that I'm still partial to Bleday.

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic