2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

14 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I worry about the same issue, plus all of the other negatives, we've discussed. Whom do you like? You know that I'm still partial to Bleday.

If it were me making the final call it would be between Bleday and Abrams. I agree with whomever made the Trea Turner comp for Abrams. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yesterday at this time I was pretty confident that they'd take Abrams. Right now though, I'd predict that it will be Vaughn. I wouldn't be surprised if they save a little money too. 

Vaughn + a toolsy prep position player would make me happy with picks 1 and 2.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I worry about the same issue, plus all of the other negatives, we've discussed. Whom do you like? You know that I'm still partial to Bleday.

I've been a Vaughn supporter since last year but I'm less sanguine about him now. If I was picking, I'd take Greene followed by Bleday or Stott. I'm off Abrams. Just don't see any reason to asume the development risk. Stott is just a better all around SS and player. Why get cute?

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

I've been a Vaughn supporter since last year but I'm less sanguine about him now. If I was picking, I'd take Greene followed by Bleday or Stott. I'm off Abrams. Just don't see any reason to asume the development risk. Stott is just a better all around SS and player. Why get cute?

I actually think Abrams floor and ceiling are much higher than Stott. Stott is meh. Abrams isn't some toolsy project. He can hit and play a premium position. 

35 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think whoever ends up taking Vaughn is going to be massively disappointed. I have some doubts about his ability based on his performance vs decent competition. 

But Keith Law said he’s a top 25 prospect in baseball immediately following the draft

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

But Keith Law said he’s a top 25 prospect in baseball immediately following the draft

Keith Law hates the White Sox though. Vaughn gets drafted by the Sox and he's a fringe 100 prospect

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Who?

Super old for his class (like 19.5 y/o) HS 3B from Texas with huge power and good hit tools. Been rising all spring with last I heard being he could go #8 for underslot. If we do this, it is almost definitely because we are trying to float guys.

Edit: pipeline has him ranked #17 and FG has him #10. FG says his hit/power combo is comparable to present Gorman, but I would like to add the caveat that he is actually about 5 months older than Gorman.

Edited by GenericUserName

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Manfred announces Andrew Vaughn to the White Sox 48 hours from right now.

I'm leaning Vaughn over Abrams finally. There's just so much potential in that bat. I don't care where he plays defensively if he has a ceiling of one of the best hitters in the game.

• Like 1

I did some research on Baty. This issue of him being 19 1/2 is interesting. If the kid really has legitimate bonafides, I could see his age actually being an advantage. Although, it diminishes his stats, playing against younger guys, it also means that he is more physically mature and could get to the Big Leagues more quickly. He's a big strong left handed hitter, with big time power. He also led his HS basketball team, so he is a very good athlete. I'm intrigued. I imagine that the Sox would save a lot of money, selecting him 3RD. That could be an interesting strategy. This is one where the scouting really would be key, as the stats could be especially misleading, considering his age.

Wow if that Baty rumor is legit  That would be real out of character in that it's a prep bat and that there would be huge savings to play with. Part of me wonders if this is a leverage play trying to squeeze more savings out of their real targets.

For those curious on Baty. Here is BA's scouting report. They currently have him ranked 15th.

Scouting Report: One of the best pure hitters in the draft class, Baty brings 70-grade raw power to the table with impressive strength and plus bat speed. He also has an advanced approach at the plate and a feel for putting the barrel on the ball. In every batting practice Baty takes, his power stands out. The ease with which he’s able to send the ball out of the park, both to the pull side and to the opposite field, rivals nearly any player in the 2019 draft. A big, 6-foot-3, 218-pound third baseman, Baty has improved his body composition over the past few years, turning some of his baby fat into muscle, which has helped improve his game both offensively and defensively. Originally, most scouts believed that Baty was destined for a transition to first base in pro ball because of his below-average footwork, suspect hands and a plus throwing arm that had strength but was erratic with a slow exchange. He’s improved across the board defensively this spring, now giving himself a chance to stick at third base, but winding up at first base may still be the most likely outcome. He’s hit anything and everything thrown at him in a competitive area of Texas, but the biggest knock on Baty’s profile is his age. He’ll be just six months away from his 20th birthday at the time of the draft, and he is one of the oldest high school players in the class. Many teams operate with draft models that significantly penalize hitters for that, although at some point it’s hard to ignore Baty’s potential as a middle-of-the-order hitter—no matter his age or position. Baty is committed to Texas, but he is unlikely to make it to campus and could be drafted early on Day 1 of the draft.

Edited by DirtySox

Would love to get Trevor Ezell in the middle rounds, INF playing for Arkansas. Played all over the diamond for SEMO for 3+ years and is a graduate transfer now. 2nd team All-SEC at 1B this year. Played 2B & 3B at SEMO but hurt his shoulder before going to Arkansas.  Scrappy ball player but can hit

2-3 against Lodolo tonight

Edited by BigHurt3515

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think whoever ends up taking Vaughn is going to be massively disappointed. I have some doubts about his ability based on his performance vs decent competition. 

Lol what? Show me where he's struggle vs anyone. He's been the best summer hitter as well. 

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic