2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also anyone think it’s strange that Abrams has become this year’s Brady Singer?

the chances Abrams would slide to 16 are slim to none. To 6? Possible. There is a top 6 and different preferences within it. I like all of the top 6 too.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

the chances Abrams would slide to 16 are slim to none. To 6? Possible. There is a top 6 and different preferences within it. I like all of the top 6 too.

I took this as more that everyone had the White Sox on Singer last year, and it wasn't to be. Maybe Abrams is a similar situation/smoke screen?

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

I took this as more that everyone had the White Sox on Singer last year, and it wasn't to be. Maybe Abrams is a similar situation/smoke screen?

Yep exactly, we heard how much KW liked Singer last year up until like an hour before

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Gotcha.

I listened to the Hostetler interview yesterday. 

I just have this gut feeling that he is negatively reacting to the fangraphs mock which has been putting them on Abrams. And the color commentary about KW being involved is so much like last year.

So I would not be shocked at all if sox go Vaughn. As I've said, last year it was Singer. The year before it was Jeren Kendall and JB Bukauskus. The year before  it was Rutherford/Ray.

Now, it's a lot freakin harder mocking 10/11 than 3/4. But maybe people read too much into sox scouting preference, or bad agent info.

The sad parts is revising my 2nd round pick options.

There is a college heavy version of the draft that player type wise would be annoying but player wise I still like enough:

1. Vaughn

2. Ethan Small

3. Sikkema

But, otherwise I think this is interesting

1. Vaughn

2. Yordys Valdes

3. Quentin Holmes (4 lyfe)

Valdes Cuban background maybe means he won't require as much to sign for a HS SS. He is a pop-up guy, and I believe may be same scout that scouted collins so he may hold a lot of sway.

Draft is gonna be fun.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

Singer didn’t necessary slide to 16.  They had a lot of picks, they may have pushed him to 16.  And who picks 16 this year?  Diamondbacks.  You know they are trying to get someone to fall to them there.  But I agree, top 6 seem to be set in stone.

31 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep exactly, we heard how much KW liked Singer last year up until like an hour before

The Sox were linked to Singer but I do not remember KW's name coming up consistently like it has this year with Abrams. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is Rutschman considered a plus defender? 

from BA

Defensively, Rutschman has all the tools to be a plus defender at the position. He has a strong arm, impressive receiving and blocking ability and excellent footwork on throws to second base, with a quick exchange from his glove to his release. Some scouts would like to have seen Rutschman throw more frequently this spring, but teams have run against him infrequently—and for good reason. Like most catchers, speed is Rutschman’s weakest tool and the only tool that doesn’t project as plus, but that’s hardly a concern moving forward. Most scouts believe Rutschman has a chance to be an All-Star-level player in the majors as an impact bat in the middle of the order while also bringing plenty of defensive value. With excellent makeup and plenty of natural leadership traits, Rutschman has all the intangibles teams like to see from their backstops. He is the best catching prospect since Buster Posey in 2008 and Matt Wieters in 2007.

5 minutes ago, flavum said:

Manfred announcing the Sox pick 100 hours from right now. Continue speculating...

My speculation is that there is major division in the Sox draft room right now. 

Hostetler/Hahn want to continue the trend of college bats and want Vaughn. KW is drooling at Abrams elite speed and wants him. 

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

There were 25 guys that hit 30 HRS last season.  Obviously fewer than 1 per team.  There were only 4 that did it while hitting .300 or higher; JD, Trout, Yelich and Betts.  If the Sox think he is a 30/300 guy, it would be insane to pass on that.

How many guys do you think will hit 30 HR's this season, with this juiced ball?

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

from BA

Defensively, Rutschman has all the tools to be a plus defender at the position. He has a strong arm, impressive receiving and blocking ability and excellent footwork on throws to second base, with a quick exchange from his glove to his release. Some scouts would like to have seen Rutschman throw more frequently this spring, but teams have run against him infrequently—and for good reason. Like most catchers, speed is Rutschman’s weakest tool and the only tool that doesn’t project as plus, but that’s hardly a concern moving forward. Most scouts believe Rutschman has a chance to be an All-Star-level player in the majors as an impact bat in the middle of the order while also bringing plenty of defensive value. With excellent makeup and plenty of natural leadership traits, Rutschman has all the intangibles teams like to see from their backstops. He is the best catching prospect since Buster Posey in 2008 and Matt Wieters in 2007.

The hilarious thing is Buster was better than Rutschman but somehow Buster fell in the draft a little; not much. Wieters was always overrated. 

The concern with Adley is that he is not MLB ready as Buster; Buster was a better catcher despite only playing it for 2 years as well. That development time is concerning for any catcher. Catching is so difficult to quantify, and offensive skills diminish faster than any other position. 

Catchers take longer to develop... Wieters being a switch hitter made him no better.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Standard normalization of college stats based on key rates - similarly to what ZIPS would do. 

The article actually discusses how Vaughn has been a nightmare for analytics people because he falls outside of the SD for every college hitter in the system... so when you project his outcomes by using a standard college/mlb statistical regression you get the numbers above... (I'm sure they vary based on analysis) and if you heavily weight BB% (which in Vaughns case you should because he's so high on the spectrum that his college walk numbers actually do help us project his MLB outcomes) You actually bump those numbers up to:

254/378/514

Most people working the analytical baseball world will have a hard time accepting that slash line for someone who has never left college. Hence why teams are searching for reasons to discredit the number and opposed to accepting it. 

Vaughn is a fucking animal.

If he is really that good of a hitter, then he has to be in a tier above the other bats, in this Draft. That being the case, I would take him at #3, unless Rutschman is available.

16 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If he is really that good of a hitter, then he has to be in a tier above the other bats, in this Draft. That being the case, I would take him at #3, unless Rutschman is available.

Yes, to me Vaughn is the clear cut #2 prospect in this draft, but Adley has that catcher risked attached to him which always worries me. Still, I think they are clearly above the rest. 

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic