The 2018 MLB Draft Thread (Tracker in OP)

NorthSideSox72

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

Look at Fangraphs grades on Madrigal. 70 hit 70 speed 60 field 50 (game) power 50 arm. For reference, according to Kiley's chart from his explaining scouting project, a 50 power grade was ~20 HR in 2014, which is likely a higher total today. Name a .300 hitting, 20-20 potential, Gold Glove caliber 2B in MLB today. There's Altuve and?

Dustin Pedroia? 

On Madrigal’s speed...from thegoodphight.com

Just enough arm and range to play Short in a pinch, but not a guy you’d really want to play there for more than a few innings. His range is average at Second (below for Short) despite being a 70-80 grade runner (range is more reliant on short burst, lateral quickness which explains why some 55 grade runners have great range and some guys with 80 grade speed can have poor range, they’re different skills). He plays a smooth Second though and should be an average defender (although most reports have him close to future Gold Glove caliber at 2B) and his experience at Short gives him some flexibility to sub on occasion in an emergency. 

I mentioned the speed above, but I’ll expand a little. Nick’s a Right handed hitter and times from Home to First range from the 3.84 (grade 80+) range up to near 2.10 (grade 70). Scouts also note he’s a smart baserunner, times jumps well and knows when to push the envelope. I expect Madrigal to be a guy who could rack up 25-30 steals a year, maybe more. A team with him and Roman Quinn would be a blast to watch on the bases.

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Just to clarify, this board will riot when/if the Sox select Signer, right? haha

Prior to that Fangraph info about Kenny forcing the Sox to take Singer, I would have been "meh" over the pick, but not angry. 

BUT NOW, after thinking Hostetler and the boys could all be shut down because Kenny gets what Kenny wants, that infuriates me.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Typicallly with Soxtalk the bigger the meltdown, the better off for the franchise it is.

Sox have had plenty of time to evaluate players and make the correct decision here. I'm hoping we can trust them to not screw up a very important draft for the franchise. 

Who we select will immediately become a key part of the rebuild. 

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Prior to that Fangraph info about Kenny forcing the Sox to take Singer, I would have been "meh" over the pick, but not angry. 

BUT NOW, after thinking Hostetler and the boys could all be shut down because Kenny gets what Kenny wants, that infuriates me.

I really don’t buy it to be honest.  I think if they go Singer, then enough people in the room felt he was the guy.  The problem is now doubt has been introduced to the equation and there will always be the question of whether or not KW intervened.

8 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Just to clarify, this board will riot when/if the Sox select Signer, right? haha

We'll just be very disappointed in the White Sox. Also because Greg may throw in some comments about how our tanking only lead to Kirk Saarloos. 

Edited by Flash Tizzle

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really don’t buy it to be honest.  I think if they go Singer, then enough people in the room felt he was the guy.  The problem is now doubt has been introduced to the equation and there will always be the question of whether or not KW intervened.

That's what I mean though. We will likely never know if the Sox ACTUALLY wanted Singer, or if Kenny was swinging his dick around.

I guess if Singer turns out to be good, it won't matter, but it will bug me for a while until then, and certainly if he ends up being a bust.

It's not that I am anti-Singer, but that I am anti-Kenny power trippin'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

If KW is the one making the call here...and if Singer busts, that better be the end of his Sox tenure.

And wouldn't that be a shitty grenade for the fanbase to have to take shrapnel from, especially if Madrigal pans out.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

That's what I mean though. We will likely never know if the Sox ACTUALLY wanted Singer, or if Kenny was swinging his dick around.

I guess if Singer turns out to be good, it won't matter, but it will bug me for a while until then, and certainly if he ends up being a bust.

I think this is pretty on-point. Though ideally (for me) both are on board and we draft Madrigal and we hear he was their guy all along :)

• Like 1

Just now, Flash Tizzle said:

We'll just be very disappointed in the White Sox. Also because Greg may throw in some comments about how us tanking leading to Kirk Saarloos. 

I don’t think he could differentiate between Saarloos and the local friendly Lawrence (KS) Applebee’s waiter...as he’s not a draftnik.

Otoh, he does reserve the right to be pissed off later when guys like Mitchell, Burdi and Burger get hurt.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

If KW is the one making the call here...and if Singer busts, that better be the end of his Sox tenure.

I just wonder, the entire rebuild would seemingly go against a KW philosophy right? Why would we believe all of the sudden his opinion overrides everyone elses?

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I feel ya, hopefully it’s all a smokescreen and the Sox take a position player.  We typically fly under the radar and this Singer seems way too leaky for our front office.  For some reason I feel Bohm could be the guy at #4 (if available) as he’s the prototypical Hostetler pick.  Great plate discipline, significant raw power, & positional concerns.  And I’d be ok with that even if Madrigal was still on the board despite liking Nick better.

6 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I just wonder, the entire rebuild would seemingly go against a KW philosophy right? Why would we believe all of the sudden his opinion overrides everyone elses?

Well, he would select Adams or Murray I guess...to me, it’s more about power and ego.   And Madrigal is the polar opposite of a KW selection, a “pure” baseball player (undersized) rather than a talented athlete who checks all the boxes in terms of 40 times and vertical leaps trying to learn the game on the fly.

4 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Lol I missed that earlier. I'm scared whether or not this may help him. 

HE HAS THE FIRE WE WANT

Only Jake Peavy would react similarly...maybe Chris Sale?

Buehrle would be laughing and sliding around on the tarp.