White Sox select Nick Madrigal with 4th overall pick

Panerista

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Another great call.

It's funny because Ray popped in my head and was looking  him up in another window to see his height (5'8") and when I came here to mention his name I read your post. Ya beat me to it!

Just now, BlackSox13 said:

It's funny because Ray popped in my head and was looking  him up in another window to see his height (5'8") and when I came here to mention his name I read your post. Ya beat me to it!

Oh wait, I was actually talking about Omar Vizquel, so take full credit for Ray!

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I keep reading that Madrigal will be a shortstop when he plays in the minors. If that is true does that mean the White Sox will not bid on free agent Manny Machado this upcoming off season?

The plan this offseason should be to bid on both Machado & Harper and hope you can land one of them.  Obviously a huge long-shot, but given our payroll flexibility you don't let Madrigal impact our decision to pursue these guys.  However, just for the sake of fun, here's how I'd see things shaking out if we added Machado:

• 1B: Davidson
  • 2B: Madrigal
  • SS: Anderson
  • 3B: Machado
  • LF: Jimenez
  • CF: Robert
  • RF: Moncada
  • DH: Abreu
  • 😄   Collins

That lineup would be absolutely bonkers and wound't even include a half dozen high-end prospects (Burger, Sheets, Basabe, Adolfo, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Walker).

41 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

I love Ray Durham!

One of my favorite players growing up....probably because I played 2B in HS as a short guy.  I still wear Ray's jersey to most games I go to.

If Madrigal works out....he will probably become my favorite player. 

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Oh wait, I was actually talking about Omar Vizquel, so take full credit for Ray!

I am growing tired of Rickey's managing skills...I hope that Omar is being setup to take over in 1/2 years.

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The plan this offseason should be to bid on both Machado & Harper and hope you can land one of them.  Obviously a huge long-shot, but given our payroll flexibility you don't let Madrigal impact our decision to pursue these guys.  However, just for the sake of fun, here's how I'd see things shaking out if we added Machado:

• 1B: Davidson
  • 2B: Madrigal
  • SS: Anderson
  • 3B: Machado
  • LF: Jimenez
  • CF: Robert
  • RF: Moncada
  • DH: Abreu
  • 😄   Collins

That lineup would be absolutely bonkers and wound't even include a half dozen high-end prospects (Burger, Sheets, Basabe, Adolfo, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Walker).

Personally I prefer

C- Collins

1B- Jimenez

2B- Moncada

SS- Anderson

3B- Machado

LF- Madrigal

CF- Robert

RF- Adolfo

DH- Abreu/Davidson

That way you keep the established, proven defenders where they are but still get Madrigal’s bat in there 

Edited by Jose Abreu

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Personally I prefer

C- Collins

1B- Jimenez

2B- Moncada

SS- Anderson

3B- Machado

LF- Madrigal

CF- Robert

RF- Adolfo

DH- Abreu/Davidson

That way you keep the established, proven defenders where they are but still get Madrigal’s bat in there 

Jimenez at 1B is interesting to me.  His bat can play there obviously and you would protect him from injury and get better defenders in the OF.  I wonder if he has ever played there at any time in his life.

4 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

One of my favorite players growing up....probably because I played 2B in HS as a short guy.  I still wear Ray's jersey to most games I go to.

If Madrigal works out....he will probably become my favorite player. 

I was a big fan of Ray as well. Loved the diversity of his game. He could hit, run like the wind, throw some leather and flash some power on occasion. 

14 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

I am growing tired of Rickey's managing skills...I hope that Omar is being setup to take over in 1/2 years.

I am going to say this much.  The team outperforming its talents by the most in the Sox system isn't Vizquel's, it is Kannapolis.

20 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Personally I prefer

C- Collins

1B- Jimenez

2B- Moncada

SS- Anderson

3B- Machado

LF- Madrigal

CF- Robert

RF- Adolfo

DH- Abreu/Davidson

I wish there was another LHH or two.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I hope he’s much better than Eckstein.

I think he will be, without a doubt. To me Madrigal has more speed and should easily hit for more power.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't remember Ray doing it, Willie Harris perhaps?

That's who I was thinking of. Thanks!

Edited by BlackSox13
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I hope he’s much better than Eckstein.

I know it is three days after we drafted the guy, but I am going to call a David Eckstein comp his floor.  He has already tools which are major league ready in his speed, his eye, and his bat.  If he develops any power at all, he goes to the next level.  As is, I think Nick is a guy who could put up .270/.350/.350 as is, while adding ++ defense at 2B.

38 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am going to say this much.  The team outperforming its talents by the most in the Sox system isn't Vizquel's, it is Kannapolis.

Yeah, although it's a fairly old group. But 2 years in a row now. Big fan of Jirschele, and he may be more of the modern manager that is an extension of the front office/org. Though not sure sox org is set-up to take advantage of that.

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Willie was another pretty short dude.

Yep. The list of successful short players continues to grow. Many of the players named in this thread didn't have as many tools as Madrigal. I really do not understand the criticism. 

16 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

5'8" with consistent 15-20 HR pop and .800 OPS. I like the comp, but the only problem I have is that @greg775, @ptatc, @Lillian and others keep assuring me that such a result for Madrigal is impossible due to his height.

I can't speak for those Sox fans but maybe the problem is picking a short guy so high in the draft? I dunno. I'm one of those that have gotten sick of the station to station baseball players and am elated with the Sox picking Madrigal. 

45 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

5'8" with consistent 15-20 HR pop and .800 OPS. I like the comp, but the only problem I have is that @greg775, @ptatc, @Lillian and others keep assuring me that such a result for Madrigal is impossible due to his height.

Apparently, you have not read all of my posts, in this thread. If so, you have misunderstood me.