Draft Day 2 Thread - Rounds 3-10 (Tracker in OP)

NorthSideSox72

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I think rooting against the player is fine, I do it all the time, but I can't imagine adding ANY player would ever make me give up being a fan of the team. That's far too dramatic, IMO.

If it was something really bad, maybe.

But the main issue for me in this case, is that I actually think hes innocent. If I thought he was guilty, it would be an entirely different discussion. 

Just now, flavum said:

If he is ever going to be forgiven, he’s gotta talk and be clear what the hell happened and what steps have been taken since he was 15. 

I hope the Sox don’t take him.

If you know what the guilty plea says, how the hell do you not know what his ordered punishment was? That isn't aimed at you specifically, but Passan had a direct quote from the guilty plea in his article. He could've just as easily gotten the records from the sentencing hearing.

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

If he is ever going to be forgiven, he’s gotta talk and be clear what the hell happened and what steps have been taken since he was 15. 

He has talked as well as his parents.

He was 15, he adamantly denied ever doing anything wrong. His father was in a custody battle. His family and his lawyer convinced him to take a deal that would erase it from his record in 5 years. If he went to trial and lost his father potentially would have lost custody of his other children. Throughout the entire time he has always stated he was innocent. But in order to get the deal he was forced to write a letter as if he committed the crime. He has taken a ploygraph and the results determined he was telling the truth when he denied any sexual contact.

Its a messed up situation for a 15 year old to be in. Especially when your lawyer tells you that even if your innocent a jury will likely believe the child.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

This is my biggest problem.  I would much rather of said he was guilty and these are all of the steps he has undergone to make sure it never happens again, versus what we have now.

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

If you know what the guilty plea says, how the hell do you not know what his ordered punishment was? That isn't aimed at you specifically, but Passan had a direct quote from the guilty plea in his article. He could've just as easily gotten the records from the sentencing hearing.

As part of the deal he was required to write that he did it, even though at all times he has denied it. 

Its a messed up situation, and there is no point in derailing another thread. Sox wont pick him. 

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

It's a little strange that they go high floor so much considering what is probably their best pick under Hostetler, Hansen, was high ceiling, and low floor.

Hansen was not a high floor.  His control problems were so bad, he was pitching out of the pen at OU.  He could have easily washed out at a low level of the minors if that had continued.

One of my issues is this: the baseball world has seemingly rallied against Heimlich and his actions, which is something I understand.

Yet people have no problem idolizing Aroldis Chapman. Sure, many do not support him, but he's still an MLB poster child, and official MLB accounts always post videos of his fast pitches and his highlights. To me, that's extremely hypocritical. I know their circumstances are different, but they're both seemingly awful human beings

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Yeah, I should have probably read more on this to be informed. It just seemed like he insisted he didn’t molest her, and left it at that...which isn’t good enough.

The team that takes him probably already has a PR strategy in place. Hope it’s not the Sox. 

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

As part of the deal he was required to write that he did it, even though at all times he has denied it. 

Its a messed up situation, and there is no point in derailing another thread. Sox wont pick him. 

Yeah, likely not, they tend to be too concerned with PR. Doesn't make sense to me to pass on a player like him though given the circumstances of his situation. Getting a better starter than Brady Singer on Day 2 of the draft seems like a win to me.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hansen was not a high floor.  His control problems were so bad, he was pitching out of the pen at OU.  He could have easily washed out at a low level of the minors if that had continued.

Re-read the post or did it get edited? The original post called Hansen high ceiling, low floor, exactly as you say.