Draft Day 2 Thread - Rounds 3-10 (Tracker in OP)

NorthSideSox72

Just now, Dam8610 said:

Yeah, likely not, they tend to be too concerned with PR. Doesn't make sense to me to pass on a player like him though given the circumstances of his situation. Getting a better starter than Brady Singer on Day 2 of the draft seems like a win to me.

Its not about baseball. Youd literally have to hire someone immediately to start a pr campaign. A certain amount of people wont ever even consider the idea that he is possibly innocent.

And this is presupposing that he really is innocent. If somehow the guy is guilty and he does something terrible in the future, youd have basically thrown away tons of good will and trust. 

A team like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs etc could take this type of risk. They are going to sell out no matter what. Sox not so much. 

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Its not about baseball. Youd literally have to hire someone immediately to start a pr campaign. A certain amount of people wont ever even consider the idea that he is possibly innocent.

And this is presupposing that he really is innocent. If somehow the guy is guilty and he does something terrible in the future, youd have basically thrown away tons of good will and trust. 

A team like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs etc could take this type of risk. They are going to sell out no matter what. Sox not so much. 

I wish people weren't so ignorant, but, alas, they are. As far as recommitting a crime if he was guilty, that's highly unlikely because of the age at which  he received treatment, which would've been mandatory as part of the sentencing regardless of whether he actually did it or not. Recividism on that behavior when treated at that age is less than 5%.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

From what I'm reading that kid has elite exit velocity for a HS and he is a legit rangy SS.  Seems like a boom or bust pick but I like it.

Agreed,need more of these in our lower levels.

Ranked 367 by BA.

Lency Delgado

HSSS/3B

Notes:

School: Doral Academy Charter HS, Miami
Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 210 | B-T: R-R | Commit/Drafted: Florida International
Scouting Report: A big-bodied, 6-foot-3, 210-pound infielder, Delgado has impressive body control and hands for a player of his size, though most scouts think he’ll be a third baseman rather than a shortstop in the future. The Florida International signee has plenty of arm for the position with plus arm strength and he also has above-average raw power in the bat that should profile at the position as well. Delgado has a long swing and some chase at the plate that he’ll need to improve in the future. Defensively, Delgado has good footwork and showed impressive body control and athleticism in the field, making off-balance, accurate throws on the run that should give him a chance to be an above-average defender at the position.