2018-2019 Official NBA thread

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t enjoy being a Debbie Downer, but our miracle happened when we won the draft lottery and got Rose.  And our shitty front office couldn’t put the pieces around him to build a championship.  I agree the potential for this organization to take a massive leap forward is there, but it won’t happen under GarPax and I just don’t see Michael Reinsdorf making any changes given his close relationship with Gar unless the cash suddenly stops flowing in.

Honestly, I still think that group wins a championship if Rose never gets hurt. Noah in his DPOY year as Butler is coming  into his own, next to Rose and Deng? That group is monstrous. 

53 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

The NBA just sucks.. I can't think of a scenario where the Bulls will be championship material in the next 7-10 years. 

You could say that about 20 of the teams in the NBA. In both the NFL and NBA, it is nearly impossible to have sustained success if you don't have an all time great on your team(NFL it has to be at the QB position) 

6 hours ago, bmags said:

ugh, i'm still holding out hope. I just know that if some miracle happened and they cleaned house and brought in like Masai Ujiri (he is like already president so not possible) .that the bulls would be good immediately.

The problem is he really enjoys Toronto, has the makings of at least a Finals team out of the East and the organization just doesn't overbid for executive talent.  Unless you were a glutton for punishment or Don Quixote, why would you want to go to the Bulls?  You pretty much need to bring in two superstars to go with Markannen and Carter as your complementary players.  I'm not even sure getting Steve Kerr as the coach would make one iota of difference.

Edited by caulfield12

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is he really enjoys Toronto, has the makings of at least a Finals team out of the East and the organization just doesn't overbid for executive talent.  Unless you were a glutton for punishment or Don Quixote, why would you want to go to the Bulls?  You pretty much need to bring in two superstars to go with Markannen and Carter as your complementary players.  I'm not even sure getting Steve Kerr as the coach would make one iota of difference.

If the bulls were hiring a president of basketball operations I think that's actually a very attractive job. You have incredible security, you can undercut coaches and players with little scrutiny. You have tons of cap space and some young assets. If they did it, it's a great job. If they tried to just hire a GM under pax, it's a terrible job.

Lost in the initial reporting was that two firsts were included by the Mavs. So Dennis smith and 2 firsts, it's not the worst return in the world especially for an injured superstar.

But for the knicks who finally landed a top player after 2 decades and one where they could land KD and maybe zion? It sucks.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I was just going to say, these clowns aren’t actually making any personnel moves but rather just money grabs.

I have zero doubt they are trying to get in JRs good graces by acquiring enough money to off-set Hoibergs salary

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think he prefers basketball, so we may in fact get lucky!

I used to work with a guy who knew him pretty well and he did prefer baseball. Back then he was telling my friend how he would be a bit more aggressive than his father. Looks like that has changed in quite a big way. At one time I was excited about the possibility of him taking over. Now I think it would be a disaster.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I used to work with a guy who knew him pretty well and he did prefer baseball. Back then he was telling my friend how he would be a bit more aggressive than his father. Looks like that has changed in quite a big way. At one time I was excited about the possibility of him taking over. Now I think it would be a disaster.

Wait, Micheal prefers baseball?  Oh god I hope that’s typo...don’t want him doing anything with the Sox.  That being said, Jerry does own a much smaller portion of the Sox right?  I don’t think they could just hand him an important role like he has the Bulls or at least I hope not.

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wait, Micheal prefers baseball?  Oh god I hope that’s typo...don’t want him doing anything with the Sox.  That being said, Jerry does own a much smaller portion of the Sox right?  I don’t think they could just hand him an important role like he has the Bulls or at least I hope not.

IIRC,  they own essentially all of the Bulls, and aren't even the largest shareholder of the White Sox.

49 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

IIRC,  they own essentially all of the Bulls, and aren't even the largest shareholder of the White Sox.

Its hard to know the exact specifics, but I believe they own a larger share of the Bulls. With the Sox JR's power is contractual. Ive never seen the clauses, but its hard to imagine that his power transfers to his heirs. 

16 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Its hard to know the exact specifics, but I believe they own a larger share of the Bulls. With the Sox JR's power is contractual. Ive never seen the clauses, but its hard to imagine that his power transfers to his heirs. 

According to JR, it does.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

According to Lowe’s latest, the only untouchable bulls right now are Lauri and WCJ, but it will take “a haul” to trade Lavine. So like, Cleveland could get him with cam Payne 

And a 2nd