GT: Indians @ White Sox - 7:10/8:10ET

Eminor3rd

Just now, daggins said:

Pretty generous inside corner, at least. Moncada called third and the first strike on Palka well off the plate.

I'm done defending individual calls for Moncada.  The pattern is that the kid does not protect with two strikes.  It's not like he had a full count there either.  Swing the fucking bat.

Don't get me wrong, you don't change anything with the way he's going now...but am I the only that sees closer in Covey? That fastball is just filthy, would love to see him throw it as hard as he can for only 1 inning. Only if the starter thing doesn't work of course 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm done defending individual calls for Moncada.  The pattern is that the kid does not protect with two strikes.  It's not like he had a full count there either.  Swing the fucking bat.

Yep, he has hardly any infield hits this year because he never tries to just put the ball in play.

Just now, fathom said:

Right now he's got a bad approach with a bad swing.  It's a credit to his talent that he somehow hasn't cratered out below 700 OPS yet.  Can only hope he turns it around soon.  I really don't want to see him with an OPS below 700 in July.

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Don't get me wrong, you don't change anything with the way he's going now...but am I the only that sees closer in Covey? That fastball is just filthy, would love to see him throw it as hard as he can for only 1 inning. Only if the starter thing doesn't work of course 

As long as he can sustain that type of movement AND 93-96 MPH velocity for 5-7 innings, he's MUCH more valuable as a starting pitcher...

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep, he has hardly any infield hits this year because he never tries to just put the ball in play.

One of the few exceptions was when he pushed an inside pitch at the 2B to advance a runner to 3rd a week ago...that stands out in my memory.

Not the greatest location for that slider, but Cabrera was sitting FB.

ERA now all the way down to 2.12, wow.

He might need one more pitch (change) to go with the FB/SL combo, but he has been very impressive since his last start in AAA before the recall.

And there it is, K on a change-up.  Just has to utilize it enough to keep hitters off balance.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, fathom said:

So Covey is our best starter and Jace the best reliever. Before the year, I would have said that wouldn't be likely....in AAA

It's the other side of the rebuild too, guys like these coming out of nowhere help cover up the inevitable prospects that don't pan out.

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic