White Sox at Reds

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

If Omar has his foot on the plate, not a single person would be complaining. In fact, I’m sure we would have seen posts along the lines of...“Smart play by Matt there. Once he realized he didn’t have time for the double play, he got the out at home to cut off the run.”

And to address your comments about coaching that play, it would all depend on who you are coaching. In my own experiences, with the guys who weren’t very “baseball smart”, I would give them direct instructions like “just get the out at first if it’s hit to you” or “just throw it home and don’t worry about the double play.”

But with players with great baseball instincts, I would just let them make the decision as the play unfolded. 

not really.. because Omar thought Davidson was stepping on first...

This game is why Rick R must stop calling out players. The team is tanking, Ricky, trying to lose. Quit pretending otherwise. It was built to tank. Awful bullpen. Awful starting pitching. Way too many rotten hitters. Do not get on your players any more, RR. They are just cooperating with the tank which is very bad for the game of baseball. Purposely losing is BAD FOR THE INTEGRITY OF THE GAME.

3 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Honestly, I think baseball manager is probably the most overrated position in sports. Just make the line up card and get out of the way. 

Right. There's only so much you can tell or do for players who have played their whole lives. If they're not good with fundamentals by now, it's probably more on the player.

Edited by soxfan2014

7 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

If Omar has his foot on the plate, not a single person would be complaining. In fact, I’m sure we would have seen posts along the lines of...“Smart play by Matt there. Once he realized he didn’t have time for the double play, he got the out at home to cut off the run.”

And to address your comments about coaching that play, it would all depend on who you are coaching. In my own experiences, with the guys who weren’t very “baseball smart”, I would give them direct instructions like “just get the out at first if it’s hit to you” or “just throw it home and don’t worry about the double play.”

But with players with great baseball instincts, I would just let them make the decision as the play unfolded. 

You can’t blame him for that. Davidson went to get the runner at first, which would have been fine considering the Sox were up 2. Not getting to the bag confused a lot of people. He was all around the plate just not touching it. Very unfortunate. He probably thought he would arise on first and throw him out at home, but then probably saw it wasn’t going to work out. You need to get at least one out there with a 2 run lead.

Edited by Dick Allen