White Sox at Reds

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Am I the only person in "fun-bad" mode this season? I haven't been upset about a single play. It's all hilarious. 😂

I’m with you. Moncada had a good game. Shields and Avi were good. The rest is funny in a year we’re all going to forget soon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I know I overreact, but I typically check twitter after Ricky does something bad. Usually there's a few posts criticizing him. Tonight there are a ton of them.

Ricky painted himself into this corner 

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You can’t be a robot on the field. Just because you think about what you’re going to do before the pitch doesn’t mean there is only one option. You have to react to how hard the ball is hit and where you field it.

You're up 2, you take the easy out instead of the difficult play 10 out of 10 times.

Davidson doesn't play first also, so it's a forgivable sin. Bigger issue is how many dump plays the team consistently makes with no end in sight. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

I’m with you. Moncada had a good game. Shields and Avi were good. The rest is funny in a year we’re all going to forget soon.

Yeah, like the last thing we need is a good manager winning a couple games this year with good decision making. Seriously. If we're gonna suck, might as well make it funny.

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Same. It's why I get so confused about the utter rage that erupts in gamethreads.  Gives me something fun to read at least. :)

3 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

He was going towards first base to tag it so this makes Omar have to change his stance so he can tag the runner if he throws home

I would think you’d still have enough time to shift your foot back to the plate when you see Matt didn’t touch first. Obviously he didn’t see that though.

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You can’t be a robot on the field. Just because you think about what you’re going to do before the pitch doesn’t mean there is only one option. You have to react to how hard the ball is hit and where you field it.

Wrong..  Just get an out.  Geez.

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Yeah, like the last thing we need is a good manager winning a couple games this year with good decision making. Seriously. If we're gonna suck, might as well make it funny.

I totally see your point, but do you have confidence in JR to admit they need a new manager in a year or so?

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

You're up 2, you take the easy out instead of the difficult play 10 out of 10 times.

Davidson doesn't play first also, so it's a forgivable sin. Bigger issue is how many dump plays the team consistently makes with no end in sight. 

Would you really categorize throwing home from 95 feet away when it’s a force out a difficult play?  If first base was unoccupied, then I would agree 100%. You would just step on first to take the easy out. But a force out is also a very easy out and it keeps a run from scoring. 

10 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Am I the only person in "fun-bad" mode this season? I haven't been upset about a single play. It's all hilarious. 😂

You must be a fan of Ed Wood movies.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Would you really categorize throwing home from 95 feet away when it’s a force out a difficult play?  If first base was unoccupied, then I would agree 100%. You would just step on first to take the easy out. But a force out is also a very easy out and it keeps a run from scoring. 

Moving away from the plate and then planting your foot to throw home when you infrequently play first is not an easy play. He made a great throw all things considered, but that's also because we know he's blessed with the best arm ever.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

I totally see your point, but do you have confidence in JR to admit they need a new manager in a year or so?

Honestly, I think baseball manager is probably the most overrated position in sports. Just make the line up card and get out of the way. 

21 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

How is that doubling up on a mental mistake? When it’s hit to you, your first instinct is to get a double play to end the inning. So you start taking steps toward first, which is not a mental mistake. At the exact moment you realize there isn’t enough time for that, you throw home with enough time to get the force. Once again, not a mental mistake. If Omar had his foot on the bag, nobody is questioning that play by Matt. 

As an infielder, you need to know what your plan is when the ball is hit. First move in that situation is ALWAYS to look at the lead runner and see if you have a play. If you do, you throw immediately. If you don't, you run to the bag for the sure out.

What you do NOT do is run all the way to the bag (thus forfeiting your chance at the lead runner), and then decide  one step from the bag that you're going for the lead runner anyway (thus forfeiting the sure out) and handing them a run at no cost.

This was a bad play, man. Like, if you're coaching a team of kids, doing what Davidson did is the literal  hypothetical example of what not to do.

23 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Reacting to how hard the ball is hit would be immediately looking up to try to throw home. Once you hesitate, and ESPECIALLY once you break to the bag, you have to take the out at the bag. The only exception is if the guy tripped and fell or something.

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

Reacting to how hard the ball is hit would be immediately looking up to try to throw home. Once you hesitate, and ESPECIALLY once you break to the bag, you have to take the out at the bag. The only exception is if the guy tripped and fell or something.

If Omar has his foot on the plate, not a single person would be complaining. In fact, I’m sure we would have seen posts along the lines of...“Smart play by Matt there. Once he realized he didn’t have time for the double play, he got the out at home to cut off the run.”

And to address your comments about coaching that play, it would all depend on who you are coaching. In my own experiences, with the guys who weren’t very “baseball smart”, I would give them direct instructions like “just get the out at first if it’s hit to you” or “just throw it home and don’t worry about the double play.”

But with players with great baseball instincts, I would just let them make the decision as the play unfolded.