Nate Jones suffers setback

southsider2k5

I don't recall the specifics but @ptatc made a post when this most recent injury was announced and it didn't leave me feeling optimistic about Nate in the long term. The thrust IIRC is that while this injury in isolation shouldn't be insurmountable, it suggests his throwing motion is just so tough on the elbow that after one thing is surgically repaired, that excess stress is just finding a new weakest link. Made me think that he'd either have to dial back the intensity quite a bit (would be hard for anyone to do) or rebuild his motion (also hard to do) if he wants to achieve lasting health.

6 minutes ago, Jake said:

I don't recall the specifics but @ptatc made a post when this most recent injury was announced and it didn't leave me feeling optimistic about Nate in the long term. The thrust IIRC is that while this injury in isolation shouldn't be insurmountable, it suggests his throwing motion is just so tough on the elbow that after one thing is surgically repaired, that excess stress is just finding a new weakest link. Made me think that he'd either have to dial back the intensity quite a bit (would be hard for anyone to do) or rebuild his motion (also hard to do) if he wants to achieve lasting health.

It would help if he actually used a real follow through to dissipate the forces of the pitch and didn't throw from such a low arm angle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Just as annoying as the injuries this year has been the setbacks and reinjuries.  Never seen that happen so often. 

Yes. For the pitchers, this implies that they aren't changing the issues that caused them in the first place. 

For the hamstrings and such like Garcia, those commonly reoccur during the season because you can't fully rehab them during the season. You can manage it during the season but to truly get it to heal, you need the off season program of balance and strengthening work.

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

Yes. For the pitchers, this implies that they aren't changing the issues that caused them in the first place. 

For the hamstrings and such like Garcia, those commonly reoccur during the season because you can't fully rehab them during the season. You can manage it during the season but to truly get it to heal, you need the off season program of balance and strengthening work.

PTATC: By "changing" do you mean the individual players or the rehab / recovery program?

48 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

PTATC: By "changing" do you mean the individual players or the rehab / recovery program?

Could be either. Without being on the inside it's impossible to tell which case it is.