Game thread right here

Kyyle23

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Give it to Danish...I’d rather keep Adams starting in AAA to be honest.

Forgot about Danish, that would be cool too.

The thing with Adams is, even if he keeps pitching well, I really don't see him getting MLB starts with us. There are just too many guys ahead of him, both right now and next year too

Adams is 22 - they can their time with him; Stephens is almost 26 and pitching consistently- time to make the move with him.
Too much pitching has never been a problem in this org. since, maybe, 1967.
They'll find room for everyone.  After July 31, they only players standing in the pen should be Jace and Avilan, and even they may be gone.

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Forgot about Danish, that would be cool too.

The thing with Adams is, even if he keeps pitching well, I really don't see him getting MLB starts with us. There are just too many guys ahead of him, both right now and next year too

I agree, but he could still be a useful long reliever down the road.  And even if that role is filled, he still has some trade value.  I’d remain patient with him for now.

In 64 fewer at-bats, Leury has the same number of hits as Engel, two more homers, four more RBIs, and just one less stolen base.  He has a much better arm, and the difference in their range in center field is minimal, especially when you compare the other facets of their respective games.  Time to make the change!

#startLeuryoverEngel

• Like 1

Just now, Fan O'Faust said:

In 64 fewer at-bats, Leury has the same number of hits as Engel, two more homers, four more RBIs, and just one less stolen base.  He has a much better arm, and the difference in their range in center field is minimal, especially when you compare the other facets of their respective games.  Time to make the change!

#startLeuryoverEngel

We can only dream.

Just now, GreenSox said:

Adams is 22 - they can their time with him; Stephens is almost 26 and pitching consistently- time to make the move with him.
 Too much pitching has never been a problem in this org. since, maybe, 1967.
 They'll find room for everyone.  After July 31, they only players standing in the pen should be Jace and Avilan, and even they may be gone.

Too much pitching in the sense that we have too many MLB caliber starters. Obviously we can move some to the bullpen. My point is that for 2019, between Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Giolito, Stephens, Covey, Dunning, and Cease, I just don't see Adams getting a shot unless there are many injuries 

1 minute ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

Trout is a FA in 2020, yes? If there was ever a guy to throw Fort Knox at- screw Machado and Harper. Would probably be more in line with this hypothetical window for the Sox as well.

Yeah but say we put all our eggs in that basket but he signs with the Phillies... then it's January of 2021, you hopefully have a really good roster but are just lacking a big star, but you're screwed because you waited and failed on Trout. I do think he's the kind of guy who would come here if we threw all the money at him but is it worth waiting and taking the pretty substantial risk of him not coming?

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Too much pitching in the sense that we have too many MLB caliber starters. Obviously we can move some to the bullpen. My point is that for 2019, between Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Giolito, Stephens, Covey, Dunning, and Cease, I just don't see Adams getting a shot unless there are many injuries 

I think you are really, really optimistic in that all of those guys are going to work out.  Even of the 3 that are up - Lopez, Giolito, Covey - none have solidified themselves into a rotation; they look decent one outing and the next day they look like Shields/Volstad; and of the 3, Covey has flashed the most upside pitching skill.  If you  extrapolate out the long process and consider depth needs:  stockpile the pitching.

And on another note, the bottom 1/4 of the pitching staff is so bad (and some of the top 1/4 pitch like the bottom 1/4 on occasion) that it's hard to get a feel for how the Sox stand otherwise.  

Edited by GreenSox

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I think it will play out. Other than Rodon, all the rest are still prospects and some percentage of prospects don't make it.  We have seen Covey-Lopez and Giolito all show rollercoaster efforts this season.  I just hope those 3 are still in the hunt for rotation slots come spring training and progress further next year.  

33 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I think you are really, really optimistic in that all of those guys are going to work out.  Even of the 3 that are up - Lopez, Giolito, Covey - none have solidified themselves into a rotation; they look decent one outing and the next day they look like Shields/Volstad; and of the 3, Covey has flashed the most upside pitching skill.  If you  extrapolate out the long process and consider depth needs:  stockpile the pitching.

And on another note, the bottom 1/4 of the pitching staff is so bad (and some of the top 1/4 pitch like the bottom 1/4 on occasion) that it's hard to get a feel for how the Sox stand otherwise.  

It’s not that they’ll all work out, it’s the simple fact that they’ll all get extended looks before the ones that bust get removed from the rotation.  And by then, Cease, Dunning, Hansen, & maybe even Lambert will be ready for looks.  There is no obvious path to a rotation spot for Adams.

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s not that they’ll all work out, it’s the simple fact that they’ll all get extended looks before the ones that bust get removed from the rotation.  And by then, Cease, Dunning, Hansen, & maybe even Lambert will be ready for looks.  There is no obvious path to a rotation spot for Adams.

Adams is the youngest pitcher of the entire group by at least 1 year. So if the others have past him they still have time to wait, although with the injuries he may get the shot before them.

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I was pretty much gonna respond as the post below did, but yes, I don't think they'll all work out. But I do think that the guys I listed are more deserving of MLB rotation spots than someone like Adams, even if they end up not working out.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said: