Is this rock bottom

Buehrle>Wood

11 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

But why sign a 31 year old with 0 MLB innings at third base to be your starting third baseman? I understand thinking that we won't get Machado, but any of the other options you listed could be better than a guy who might not be able to even play third 

If the White Sox are looking for guys on short term deals, 1-2 years, who are looking to re-establish themselves after a down year to potentially  hit one more contract, Dozier fits that description. If he's able to put up a .850 OPS again next year then he's tradeable or we could have an extra year with him, and if he's as bad as he is this year he only costs money and the team has a ton of it, there's no one he'd be blocking for playing time who is ready to take over that position. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If the White Sox are looking for guys on short term deals, 1-2 years, who are looking to re-establish themselves after a down year to potentially  hit one more contract, Dozier fits that description. If he's able to put up a .850 OPS again next year then he's tradeable or we could have an extra year with him, and if he's as bad as he is this year he only costs money and the team has a ton of it, there's no one he'd be blocking for playing time who is ready to take over that position. 

Next year we should have Madrigal, Basabe, Adolfo, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Sheets, & Rivera at AA.  Robert might be there too depending on how he shows in the AFL and I wouldn’t be surprised if Burger gets there pretty quickly next year as well.  

Point is most of these guys are a 1 1/2 to 2 years out.  That sets us up perfectly to add some free agents on short-term deals like you said.  I would think that 3B, CF, & maybe even 1B/DH would be priority areas for us.

If we miss on Machado, Dozier on a one year deal makes a ton of sense.  I’d also love to add Daniel Murphy to play 1B and move Jose to DH.  Both of those guys could be difference makers in the lineup with bounce back seasons.  CF is tough because none the free agent options are overly attractive.  I would love to add a guy like Cutch on a two year deal, but playing him in CF seems like a recipe for disaster for a young pitching staff.

15 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think its possible Dozier could be had on a 2 year deal.  3 probably more likely.  The Sox wouldn't be signing him for 2021-2023, they'd be signing him to try and start actually winning baseball games in 19 and 20.  

Obviously Machado would be preferred, but its such a long shot its almost not worth even thinking about.  In some way or another, the Sox should be looking to upgrade at 3B next season.  They don't have any internal options and the only FA options worth noting other than Machado are Donaldson, Moustakas, Eduardo Nunez, and Eduardo Escobar who all have their flaws. 

Donaldson has been on the dl a good chunk of the season. I bet he stays in Toronto on a one year deal.

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Next year we should have Madrigal, Basabe, Adolfo, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Sheets, & Rivera at AA.  Robert might be there too depending on how he shows in the AFL and I wouldn’t be surprised if Burger gets there pretty quickly next year as well.  

Point is most of these guys are a 1 1/2 to 2 years out.  That sets us up perfectly to add some free agents on short-term deals like you said.  I would think that 3B, CF, & maybe even 1B/DH would be priority areas for us.

If we miss on Machado, Dozier on a one year deal makes a ton of sense.  I’d also love to add Daniel Murphy to play 1B and move Jose to DH.  Both of those guys could be difference makers in the lineup with bounce back seasons.  CF is tough because none the free agent options are overly attractive.  I would love to add a guy like Cutch on a two year deal, but playing him in CF seems like a recipe for disaster for a young pitching staff.

Escobar would suck for us...simply because he would lose his stats against Sox...Moustakas at least has been at that position for most of his career.   Donaldson, at $8-9 million on a one year deal, would be a better rebound guy.   Then again, he could have a Derek Holland no ROI year and go south completely.  Just don’t think having such a terrible fielder at third is going to elk the confidence of the young staff, but that hasn’t prompted changes with Abreu or up the middle.  

Adam Jones would be similar to Abreu, but he could be the leadership/glue guy like a Torii Hunter late in his career, and obviate the need to hold onto Abreu...another would be Leonys Martin.

Edited by caulfield12

Probably crazy talk but what if we trade with Cardinals for Fowler and one of their young catchers. Cards would pay a portion of Fowlers contract in order to move him (I still think he can contribute but desperately needs change of scenery). Would love to obtain Knizner (C) as part of the deal. We should have plenty of trade capital to offer and get experienced short-term CF along with catcher of future.

17 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

But why sign a 31 year old with 0 MLB innings at third base to be your starting third baseman? I understand thinking that we won't get Machado, but any of the other options you listed could be better than a guy who might not be able to even play third 

Pretty much what Balta said.  The Sox have no internal options at 3B other than Yolmer. I love Yolmer, but he isn't an everyday 3B.  He's a utility guy.  The crop of FA 3B isn't exactly great.  Like I said earlier, I hope the Sox shoot for the moon with Machado, and when he inevitably gets out of their price range, landing on a guy like Dozier with a 2 year ~$26M deal wouldn't be all bad.  He could theoretically play 2nd base and move Moncada to 3B - Yoan is probably going to have to move for Madrigal anyway.  But I do think Dozier could play 3B, and I think the Sox would prefer to tinker at 3B before moving Moncada.    

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s way too much to pay Dozier...with it all predicated on the idea of flipping him.

We did that with Holland, zero return.  

Lol, Holland and Dozier are not even remotely close to equivalents.  I don't see Dozier getting less than 11-12M AAV.  

Rock bottom for me was in 2016, coming off yet another mediocre season that I, and most hard core fans, knew deep down would be a mediocre season even before it started.  Just like 2015, and 2014, and 2013, and so on.  We had a terrible farm system and lacked the assets to supplement the small core of plus MLB players on our roster and create a contending team.  The situation looked totally hopeless to me. 

I'll say that I'm having more fun checking Charlotte and Birmingham box scores, watching Eloy lay waste to MiLB pitching, and following the development of our farm than I ever did trying to convince myself every April-June that the team could somehow luck its way into a wild card. 

43 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s way too much to pay Dozier...with it all predicated on the idea of flipping him.

We did that with Holland, zero return.  

Obviously not a perfect source, but Tim Dierkes who does the FA rankings on MLBTR pegged Dozier for a 4-year $72M deal before this season.  The Sox should be doing cartwheels if they could get him at 2 years/$26M to plug a gap that they have no one imminently available to fill.  

The same Dozier who is 31, would have to play a position he’s hardly ever played and has a 735 ops but is now suddenly motivated by playing for a contender again?

Nothing could go wrong there if we make him the second highest paid player on the team...and overpay when it will produce a 65-70 win season at best.  Now we’re going to force ourselves to be more respectable so as to lose draft slots but help support out broadcast rights deal instead?

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The same Dozier who is 31, would have to play a position he’s hardly ever played and has a 735 ops but is now suddenly motivated by playing for a contender again?

Nothing could go wrong there if we make him the second highest paid player on the team...and overpay when it will produce a 65-70 win season at best.  Now we’re going to force ourselves to be more respectable so as to lose draft slots but help support out broadcast rights deal instead?

Doesn’t Dozier being traded prevent him from costing a draft pick?

5 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Rock bottom for me was in 2016, coming off yet another mediocre season that I, and most hard core fans, knew deep down would be a mediocre season even before it started.  Just like 2015, and 2014, and 2013, and so on.  We had a terrible farm system and lacked the assets to supplement the small core of plus MLB players on our roster and create a contending team.  The situation looked totally hopeless to me. 

I'll say that I'm having more fun checking Charlotte and Birmingham box scores, watching Eloy lay waste to MiLB pitching, and following the development of our farm than I ever did trying to convince myself every April-June that the team could somehow luck its way into a wild card. 

Call me crazy but I have the most fun checking the box scores and seeing the Chicago White Sox win. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Shrug. Cearly you’re not a Dozier fan. But I don’t see how a 2 year $26M deal that I suggested (candidly it may take more) does anything close to hamstringing the Sox. Seems like the exact type of move they should be making if they’re serious about starting to teach the core of this team how to start winning games on a consistent basis. 

And Dozier would not cost a draft pick. 

26 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Call me crazy but I have the most fun checking the box scores and seeing the Chicago White Sox win. 

Um, yeah.  Call ME crazy but I have the most fun...watching the White Sox win the World Series.  I hereby challenge you to a battle of non-responsive irrelevancies.  GO!

• Haha 1