8/24 Games

BamaDoc

4 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/prospects/stats/affiliates?date=08/24/2018

http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?cid=&lid=&org=145&sc=&sid=milb&t=affiliate&ymd=20180824

The somewhat interesting, do I get a 40 spot? LHP Tanner Banks for Birmingham.  26 but very good year.  1.17 WHIP over 133ip

Nah, his peripherals aren't the kind of thing that get kids taken in the Rule 5.  He is basically a hit an inning, and K'ing less than 7 per 9 IP.  He also throws 90.

• bmags pinned this topic
9 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know it's meaningless with this sample size and rust, but given how high of a ceiling he has, I don't know how to feel about Robert's swing and miss rate so far 

Seems to make up his mind before the pitch if he's going to swing or not.  Like with everyone else on W-S besides Gonzalez and Mercedes, the lack of power is very frustrating.

41 minutes ago, fathom said:

Seems to make up his mind before the pitch if he's going to swing or not.  Like with everyone else on W-S besides Gonzalez and Mercedes, the lack of power is very frustrating.

I’m pretty sure the expectation was Robert wouldn’t flash much power this year do to his thumb injury.  Regardless, it’s probably best to be patient with him next year and start the season off in W-S again.  We have enough guys ahead of him that we might as give him as much as it takes to allow him to reach his ceiling.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m pretty sure the expectation was Robert wouldn’t flash much power this year do to his thumb injury.  Regardless, it’s probably best to be patient with him next year and start the season off in W-S again.  We have enough guys ahead of him that we might as give him as much as it takes to allow him to reach his ceiling.

I completely get the lack of power due to the injury, but you would think that one of him/Madrigal/Sheets/Rutherford would run into a ball (roughly 500 at bats combined between them since their last W-Salem homer), especially considering their home field RF fence is a joke.  But hey, at least Omar has them perfecting their ability to bunt.

Edited by fathom

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I completely get the lack of power due to the injury, but you would think that one of him/Madrigal/Sheets/Rutherford would run into a ball, especially considering their home field RF fence is a joke.  But hey, at least Omar has them perfecting their ability to bunt.

The only guy who is underperforming in the power department IMO is Sheets.  Rutherford has shown increased power  vs. last year and is still a twig.  And were you really expecting much power out of Madrigal this year?  You’re also ignoring Basabe & Adolfo who showed quite a bit of power during their stints.  Again, to me it’s really just Sheet who has been a massive disappointment.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The only guy who is underperforming in the power department IMO is Sheets.  Rutherford has shown increased power  vs. last year and is still a twig.  And were you really expecting much power out of Madrigal this year?  You’re also ignoring Basabe & Adolfo who showed quite a bit of power during their stints.  Again, to me it’s really just Sheet who has been a massive disappointment.

It is completely unrealistic to think that all these kids will hit their ceilings. The odds say that half of them will flame out and never reach the bigs.

Luis Robert and Nick Madrigal have hit zero home runs this year. You can make up excuses and spin this however you want but zero home runs from two of your top prospects in Late August is a cause for great concern in my opinion. 

Also, Gavin Sheets going in the second round was a huge reach. An advanced college bat like his should be hitting for way more power.

4 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

It is completely unrealistic to think that all these kids will hit their ceilings. The odds say that half of them will flame out and never reach the bigs.

Luis Robert and Nick Madrigal have hit zero home runs this year. You can make up excuses and spin this however you want but zero home runs from two of your top prospects in Late August is a cause for great concern in my opinion. 

Also, Gavin Sheets going in the second round was a huge reach. An advanced college bat like his should be hitting for way more power.

Hand injuries frequently result in a lack of power.  That’s not an excuse, that’s called a fucking reason.  God you’re insufferable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

It is also completely unrealistic to write posts like this and believe them, but it happens. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I thought it was well known Robert has a fucked up thumb and wrist and is playing through it.. he even acknowledged himself he can't get much power on his swing. 

Nope, stop making excuses.  Robert is a powerless bum and the front office was stupid for spending $50M on him.  They should have signed Acuna instead.  That kid would have been way cheaper and is the gold standard for CF prospects.  But we shouldn’t be surprised, Hahn is the same guy who drafted another powerless bum in Madrigal over sure-fire superstars like Nolan Gorman & Jerred Kelenic.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The last time I checked (a few days ago), Sheets had 25 2B. To me, that indicates that the power is there, he just needs to make small adjustments to tap into it for HR power. The encouraging part is he's hitting near .300 with no power. If he taps into the power and keeps that average, he'll be a dangerous hitter.

• bmags unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

The last time I checked (a few days ago), Sheets had 25 2B. To me, that indicates that the power is there, he just needs to make small adjustments to tap into it for HR power. The encouraging part is he's hitting near .300 with no power. If he taps into the power and keeps that average, he'll be a dangerous hitter.

Oh I’m in agreement and fully believe his lack of power is due to his swing plane.  That can be fixed with time.  It’s still disappointing he’s hit so few homers though.

2 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Honestly reminds me a lot of James Loney.