Dear FO: Harper VS Machado, Soxtalk Will Help You Decide

Jerksticks

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Texas had to pay the option and teams probably don't want to pay Smyly $7 million. Cubs netted adding $13 million. Wating could have cost more. Not picking up the option might have cost more and more years. It could be anything.  I hope it means they are at their limit as they do have several players they will soon have to pay.

I will say Theo is being Whie Soxian with how many things are going to have to not age or get hurt in his 2019 rotation.

They have so much money tied up in guys that could very well take the old man turn, us guys that just flat out suck. 

Lester + Hamels + Darvish + Chatwood + Heyward is over $100 million in payroll in 2019

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So the Cubs & Yankees both seem like no-go’s for Harper.  Still seems like the Phillies are the biggest threat for both him & Machado.  I really think we have a shot to land one of these guys.   Can’t wait for some real rumors to start popping up.

Can't rule out the Cardinals either, at least for Harper. But I'm liking our chances.

Edited by Whitesox27

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Can't rule out the Cardinals either, at least for Harper. But I'm liking our chances.

I keep forgetting about the Cardinals, but you’re right they will likely be in the mix. And the Dodgers are always a threat even if they’ve never made a crazy exepensive move under Friedman.  Still like our chances though.

• Haha 1

I don't see the highly analytical Dodgers team going after a contract like this (10+ years).

I see the STL Cardinals as a team to watch.. they've missed on some big names in the past few years, I could see it happening.

Phillies are an obvious big time candidate.

And I sure as hell hope we go after one of them (hopefully Harper).

Such a fun off season a head. 

39 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So the Cubs & Yankees both seem like no-go’s for Harper.  Still seems like the Phillies are the biggest threat for both him & Machado.  I really think we have a shot to land one of these guys.   Can’t wait for some real rumors to start popping up.

I don’t buy for a second that the Cubs are out on Bryce

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

Yankees appear to be out on Harper: @StevePhillipsGM "Bad news for Scott Boras and Bryce Harper:  per a source the #Yankees “will not be in on Harper.”  Not a complete surprise as indicated by re-signing of Brett Gardner. Seems Machado and pitching additions are Plan A."

Machado is the Yankees plan A? I don't buy that.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lots of rumors out there the Cubs are financially strapped.

Yes but I agree with fathom. I think it's bs. I remember when the Tigers said they had no money and then went out and signed Fielder. Granted its a different time with the luxury tax but I still don't buy it.

Edited by Sockin
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Machado is the Yankees plan A? I don't buy that.

It makes a ton of sense. Andujar is a butcher at 3rd, and Gregorius is missing most of 2019, so it is doubtful he's going to get tendered a contract. They have openings at both SS and 3B. Also, they dgaf about having 2-3 massive contracts at once, as long as they're winning. I've believed Machado was their plan A the entire time, and if the jankees are after Machado, you can kiss him goodbye. He'll be signing there. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I don’t buy for a second that the Cubs are out on Bryce

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lots of rumors out there the Cubs are financially strapped.

I don't buy that for a minute. The only team that prints more money than the Cubs in baseball is the jankees. I think there were some rough guesstimate tables out there that claimed that the Cubs may have been the most profitable team in baseball from 2015-17. 

If the Sox have to go up against the Cubs and jankees for either or both of them, the chances immediately drop to virtually zero. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I've been saying it for a while. Harper doesn't really make sense since they would have no CF playing all 3 (Harper, Stanton, Judge) and Gardner.

Move one of the 3 to 1B where they don't have a good hitter. Makes more sense than putting Machado at SS long term.

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It makes a ton of sense. Andujar is a butcher at 3rd, and Gregorius is missing most of 2019, so it is doubtful he's going to get tendered a contract. They have openings at both SS and 3B. Also, they dgaf about having 2-3 massive contracts at once, as long as they're winning. I've believed Machado was their plan A the entire time, and if the jankees are after Machado, you can kiss him goodbye. He'll be signing there. 

So if you have a butcher at 3B, you make your IF defense worse by signing Machado to play SS? Signing Harper, moving an OF to 1B, moving Torres to SS, and finding a 2B makes a lot more sense.

4 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Move one of the 3 to 1B where they don't have a good hitter. Makes more sense than putting Machado at SS long term.

So if you have a butcher at 3B, you make your IF defense worse by signing Machado to play SS? Signing Harper, moving an OF to 1B, moving Torres to SS, and finding a 2B makes a lot more sense.

No they'll play Machado at 3B. Torres at SS, Andujar at 1B,  and go find a 2B. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Sockin said:

Yes but I agree with fathom. I think it's bs. I remember when the Tigers said they had no money and then went out and signed Fielder. Granted its a different time with the luxury tax but I still don't buy it.

Please don’t take this offensively, but the Pizza Man should NOT be compared to the Ameritrade trust fund babies.  I know we all want to believe the Cubs have endless money, but the reality is their owners do not and are highly levered on top of it all.  I don’t see a way in hell they can add Harper unless they find a sucker to take Heyward off their hands.