Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Fair, but im not sure it sat at 250 when they first reported it, because they said they increased their offer on Monday night, and that's where the final number stood

Perhaps. Also possible they increased it from 8/250 to 8/250 with more incentives and vesting options.

In any case, I think the Sox are doing a good job right now of controlling the message and making everyone think they're out on Harper. I highly doubt that they convert though. 

2 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Fair, but im not sure it sat at 250 when they first reported it, because they said they increased their offer on Monday night, and that's where the final number stood

They didn’t go from 7/175 to 8/250 just like that. As Hahn even said, it was news to him that the offer dropped 70 million when he was at a hockey game.

4 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Wasn't the "increase" in reference to the extra potential years and performance based incentives, which made their final proposal potentially worth $320 Million? 

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Perhaps. Also possible they increased it from 8/250 to 8/250 with more incentives and vesting options.

In any case, I think the Sox are doing a good job right now of controlling the message and making everyone think they're out on Harper. I highly doubt that they convert though. 

I think they really are out on harper. In the context of market value, Jerry is a cheap bastard who will never pay what the market is willing to pay them. Ever. So there is a 0% chance it happens, because someone will pay harper a market value greater than what Jerry is willing

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

They didn’t go from 7/175 to 8/250 just like that. As Hahn even said, it was news to him that the offer dropped 70 million when he was at a hockey game.

Hard to tell. Also read Lozano asked for "final" offers before new years as manny wanted to make a decision. That jives with around when bucket came on. They then sat on it, which also may be when sox said they were frustrated things weren't finalizing.

Was the one they submitted then a 175 offer or a 250 offer? I tend to think passan was right, and it may not have been 250 guaranteed but it was better than vesting options, then sox guaranteed and added some of the years and options later down the line. Who knows.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I didnt say it did, I said those guys "essentially"  said the sox were lowballing machado. Which they did

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

Wasn't the "increase" in reference to the extra potential years and performance based incentives, which made their final proposal potentially worth $320 Million? 

Possibly, but I doubt it because we know those "swell opts" were in play since January. Unless they meant they increased the swell opts, but then I would question the intelligence of every single person in that front office because there's not a doubt in my mind that Lazano told them those swell opts didnt matter. So im guessing they increased the guaranteed money, if they were remotely smart

11 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I am thinking the 2 vesting options were what was recently added.  

11 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

They increased their offer with that last second hail mary incentive. I doubt SD offered 80 million more than us prior to our final offer. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

They increased their offer with that last second hail mary incentive. I doubt SD offered 80 million more than us prior to our final offer. 

The incentives were already in play before Monday. If they meant they increased the incentive, than we are screwed because of how dumb they are

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hard to tell. Also read Lozano asked for "final" offers before new years as manny wanted to make a decision. That jives with around when bucket came on. They then sat on it, which also may be when sox said they were frustrated things weren't finalizing.

Was the one they submitted then a 175 offer or a 250 offer? I tend to think passan was right, and it may not have been 250 guaranteed but it was better than vesting options, then sox guaranteed and added some of the years and options later down the line. Who knows.

I thought the end of the year final offer call was more to eliminate 2 of the 6 teams.

Just now, Kpet1010 said:

For fucks sake, stop listening to Bruce and nightengale. You're clueless if you think the Sox aren't after Harper. 

Come at me all you want you know deep down im right

Ok we won't listen to them. Instead, we will listen to Ken Rosenthal. Rosenthal said that machado was jerry's guy, yet he wouldn't pay top dollar or market value for him. So what makes you think that jerry would pay way more in market value for his second choice?

Here is a portion of what is being reported by 670 The Score, regarding the Sox "being out on Harper":  

The White Sox feel strongly about their young outfielders in the farm system such as Eloy Jimenez, Luis Robert, Micker Adolfo and Luis Basabe. The White Sox haven't ruled out adding another veteran outfielder in a move on the free-agent or trade market for 2019 as a bridge to the future.

Yeah, like they weren't high on those guys, when they met with Harper, and before Basabe broke his hand. That just doesn't ring true.

Ok we won't listen to them. Instead, we will listen to Ken Rosenthal. Rosenthal said that machado was jerry's guy, yet he wouldn't pay top dollar or market value for him. So what makes you think that jerry would pay way more in market value for his second choice?

It’s obvious that the Rosenthal comment on Monday was someone alerting him to the fact JR had just met with Lozano.  It could have easily been Lozano spreading that info to get the Padres to up theirs.

If you can give me 5 legit reasons to trust bob nightengale and Bruce Levine, then I'll hear you out.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I just don't think SD offered 300 and then after that, we upped our offer to 250 from let's say 220. 

From what Hahn said and others on this board have said, they did not know what the padres final offer was when they increased theirs. They were only told the padres had a higher offer

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I thought the end of the year final offer call was more to eliminate 2 of the 6 teams.

I'm sure it was but I am pretty sure in that same article it said they expected him to make a decision over the new year.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I just don't think SD offered 300 and then after that, we upped our offer to 250 from let's say 220. 

San Diego reportedly put $280 on the table last week at some point, and Lozano took that offer to the 2 other teams saying so. He didn't say they'd sign but he told the other teams the new high offer. 

On Monday he went to all 3 teams and put $300 million guaranteed on the table. The White Sox countered with a slightly better offer than what they had on the table beforehand, but an offer that was already worse than the previous one they were told San Diego had offered. So, they clearly did not believe the San Diego offer even though they were told it. 

San Diego just said "Yes we'll take it". 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It’s obvious that the Rosenthal comment on Monday was someone alerting him to the fact JR had just met with Lozano.  It could have easily been Lozano spreading that info to get the Padres to up theirs.

It's obvious that Manny was their first choice. They wouldn't have traded for his family members if it wasn't the case

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm not an insider. Never claimed to be. 

It might not have been clarified until Monday that the big man could not bear to pay 300M to a free agent. Some of the criticism omits that Rick was not controlling the purse strings. If Kenny had begged it could have happened but he chose not to go there. The Sox cannot afford to make money mistakes like the Yankees have.