Jump to content

Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil


Kyyle23
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, beckham15 said:

I’m not necessarily blaming it on Hahn, but the shrewdness of the owner.....if you don’t handcuff your GM I have complete faith he would have landed him and Machado would be a White Sox. 

While JR is mostly to blame, I do believe Rick thought his offer was the best for the team.  Rick does contract negotiations extremely well.  Problem is he missed badly on this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, iamshack said:

I think they will learn from this. As much as people are disappointed, infuriated, devastated, etc., so is the FO. Say what you want about Rick, but he’s not some “ old-school baseball guy.” He’s educated, shrewd, and certainly not a fool. There will be other opportunities to capture impact players as a result of their payroll flexibility. This was just the clearest opportunity to take advantage of that.

They won’t learn. They went through this before. They wanted ARod. To be fair, ultimately they had zero chance, but they wanted to speak with him without Boras obviously to try to sell him on taking millions less. Meeting denied. They met with Tanaka thinking they had a shot paying tens of millions less. If it took to 2019 for them to figure out offering $50 million less in guaranteed money isn’t seen as the better offer, they are never going to figure out what everyone knows. Offer the most money and you have a great shot, Manny likes Petco. He liked his friends loving SD. If the White Sox offered more money he would have told everyone at a press conference how much he loves Chicago and how he knew when he first met Sox brass it was the perfect fit. 

IFree agency is a pretty simple exercise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I get it. But I’m not willing to throw out what I view as solid work over the last two years to get this franchise to where it is today. We’ll be back on track this season, IMHO. I expect Moncada to take a big leap, I think Eloy will bring a lot of confidence back, and next season, we could very well have 3-4 very, very good arms in our rotation. 

I’m still quite excited about where this team is headed, and Rick has been a significant part of that. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

They won’t learn. They went through this before. They wanted ARod. To be fair, ultimately they had zero chance, but they wanted to speak with him without Boras obviously to try to sell him on taking millions less. Meeting denied. They met with Tanaka thinking they had a shot paying tens of millions less. If it took to 2019 for them to figure out offering $50 million less in guaranteed money isn’t seen as the better offer, they are never going to figure out what everyone knows. Offer the most money and you have a great shot, Manny likes Petco. He liked his friends loving SD. If the White Sox offered more money he would have told everyone at a press conference how much he loves Chicago and how he knew when he first met Sox brass it was the perfect fit. 

IFree agency is a pretty simple exercise. 

Yeah Dick, I’m not going to do this with you. You can be miserable all you want. It doesn’t mean I need to be that way too.

There are a lot of ways to build a sustained competitor, and they do not all go through signing $300m players. 

Still plenty of outs in this hand. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Yeah Dick, I’m not going to do this with you. You can be miserable all you want. It doesn’t mean I need to be that way too.

There are a lot of ways to build a sustained competitor, and they do not all go through signing $300m players. 

Still plenty of outs in this hand. 

From the guy who wrote the article they must sign two of them. LMAO.

And we have the same team working this that had a 94 win team and the top ranked farm system and couldn’t build a consistent winner with that. They did win a WS when everything went right, but no consistent winning, no multiple championships...and they started a lot further along than they are now.

 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

From the guy who wrote the article they must sign two of them. LMAO.

And we have the same team working this that had a 94 win team and the top ranked farm system and couldn’t build a consistent winner with that. They did win a WS when everything went right, but no consistent winning, no multiple championships...and they started a lot further along than they are now.

 

Yeah, and I genuinely felt like there was a golden opportunity to do so. 

What do you want me to do, fucking jump off a bridge or something?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Not only that, the competition to sign them will probably never be as thin as it is now.

Seriously, go cheer for another team then, Dick. No one is forcing you to stick around. 

Go be happy. There is a much bigger spender just a few miles north. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Not only that, the competition to sign them will probably never be as thin as it is now.

Yep, Arenado is a pipe dream.  Rockies will want to extend him and the Yankees will be all over him.  Trout?  I doubt there is one Sox fan who thinks the Sox would land him unless he is 36 years old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, iamshack said:

Seriously, go cheer for another team then, Dick. No one is forcing you to stick around. 

Go be happy. There is a much bigger spender just a few miles north. 

I don't want fans riding with us who won't complain or call it as it is. Not saying you are doing that, but we need to be hard on this team. We've let things slide for way too long. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Seriously, go cheer for another team then, Dick. No one is forcing you to stick around. 

Go be happy. There is a much bigger spender just a few miles north. 

So you can’t be a fan of a team but be disgusted by its management?  Sox fans should just accept this ineptitude or go be a Cubs fan?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, iamshack said:

I think they will learn from this. As much as people are disappointed, infuriated, devastated, etc., so is the FO. Say what you want about Rick, but he’s not some “ old-school baseball guy.” He’s educated, shrewd, and certainly not a fool. There will be other opportunities to capture impact players as a result of their payroll flexibility. This was just the clearest opportunity to take advantage of that.

Next year's free agency class looks very bleak though. Tbh there's not a lot of premium free agents on the market, so who are they even going to spend their money on? Anything can happen too, all of the only premium free agents are more likely to resign than this year. I trust the money will be spent, but this offseason was perfect and they didn't spend

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Yeah, I get it. But I’m not willing to throw out what I view as solid work over the last two years to get this franchise to where it is today. We’ll be back on track this season, IMHO. I expect Moncada to take a big leap, I think Eloy will bring a lot of confidence back, and next season, we could very well have 3-4 very, very good arms in our rotation. 

I’m still quite excited about where this team is headed, and Rick has been a significant part of that. 

I think people can see that we are going in a "good" direction, but the ceiling of this rebuild keeps getting lower and lower..

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, whitesoxwinner said:

Next year's free agency class looks very bleak though. Tbh there's not a lot of premium free agents on the market, so who are they even going to spend their money on? Anything can happen too, all of the only premium free agents are more likely to resign than this year. I trust the money will be spent, but this offseason was perfect and they didn't spend

Position wise Arenado and Rendon seem to be the prizes. If they make it that far. If they need a 3B next year it means Moncada either couldn’t handle it, or they would move him again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Position wise Arenado and Rendon seem to be the prizes. If they make it that far. If they need a 3B next year it means Moncada either couldn’t handle it, or they would move him again.

There is also an embarrassment of pitching potentially available next summer (although I expect the Yankees to take some of it). Verlander, Cole, Bumgarner, Sale just to headline. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Yep, Arenado is a pipe dream.  Rockies will want to extend him and the Yankees will be all over him.  Trout?  I doubt there is one Sox fan who thinks the Sox would land him unless he is 36 years old.

37-39 is more likely...it was actually a bit surprising we didn't bring in Ichiro for marketing purposes there are the end of his career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...