Sox reach new TV deal with NBC Sports

Sockin

Just my quick thoughts:

Glad I'm not a Cubs fan. That whole "own" station stuff stinks for the casual fan. Also sucks that I'll be subsidizing it in whatever streaming package I buy though. They'll keep pushing the consumer to its breaking point and I think that's sad. It's a game, but also business.

Time for 82 year old Reinsdorf to cash in his chips and go all Illitch on this team. He's a shrewd business man, but I'd think he doesn't want to spend his last 5-10 years on this earth watching the team lose. Take the TV money and apply it all to making a super team run for 5-10 years PLEASE

2 hours ago, AustinIllini said:

It feels like the wrong time to start a local TV channel.  I get that baseball is an aging fanbase but wouldn't it make sens to have the Cubs or Sox be a streaming service in the local region?

That way, I can cancel cable and pay for SoxNOW or whatever it would be called.  As is, I love MLB.tv and it sucks the local markets don't get it.

Same reason I said above and why it hasnt happened already even on NBC's own apps. MLB invented a billion dollar behemoth company to handle their live streaming that they still have plenty of equity in it. They're not going to give that up and it won't be up to the individual teams to do so. That said on their own platform they need to resolve mlb.tv blackout issues at some point.

4 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Look, I want Machado and Harper to go to the Sox. I just don't think we get Harper. If the Sox can't get him, I want the Cubs to get him. 

This is just awful logic. Whether you believe in the Sox/Cubs rivalry or not it's just terrible to have The cubs acquire a big star like Harper.

15 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Same reason I said above and why it hasnt happened already even on NBC's own apps. MLB invented a billion dollar behemoth company to handle their live streaming that they still have plenty of equity in it. They're not going to give that up and it won't be up to the individual teams to do so. That said on their own platform they need to resolve mlb.tv blackout issues at some point.

Honestly the MLB blackout stuff is the absolute most pressing fan issue in modern baseball in my eyes.  Forget all of the crap about speed of play.  The fact that people in the 21st century can't see their favorite team play live, even when they are willing to pay to do so, is absolutely Bill Wirtz-ian in its outdated stupidity and shortsightedness.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly the MLB blackout stuff is the absolute most pressing fan issue in modern baseball in my eyes.  Forget all of the crap about speed of play.  The fact that people in the 21st century can't see their favorite team play live, even when they are willing to pay to do so, is absolutely Bill Wirtz-ian in its outdated stupidity and shortsightedness.

I assume it's due to these massive TV deals forbidding it?  If that is the case then I don't see it happening any time soon unless they're able to go market by market as the TV deals expire...but then at that point the TV deals may not be as massive if they don't get a monopoly on the games.  A real catch 22

49 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Look, I want Machado and Harper to go to the Sox. I just don't think we get Harper. If the Sox can't get him, I want the Cubs to get him. 

I want the Phillies to get Machado and the Dodgers to get Harper if both or neither go to the White Sox.

As should every other fan of the future of the White Sox. 

Edited by Harry Chappas

As a Sox fan I hope the Cubs get stuck with another bad long term contract for someone like Harper.  He wouldn't really make the Cubs that much better especially since they need pitching and not more hitting help.  I love the tears cub fans shed as they have a good team but not good enough to make it back to the World Series.  Especially since after 2016 they were using words like "Dynasty".  In fact I would say the Cubs are way better off doing nothing this off season than signing Harper to an expensive and long term contract.  I feel Theo is way overrated as a GM and for every genius move (like signing Lester) he makes bad moves (Darvish instead of Arrieta, Chatwood, Heyward).  

And I don't think the Sox need Harper or Machado either-  our rebuild comes down to the pitching-  will Kopech come back as strong and be a legit #1 or #2 starter?  Will Giolito and Lopez become legit #3 and #4 type starters?  Cease, Dunning, Hansen-  can one of them become a legit starter.  Harper and or Machado is just icing on the cake. Although I do agree with others points that Harper brings a certain marketing hype that the Sox don't currently have.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That is the single stupidest thing I have ever seen and question your fandom.

I care about the Sox and only the Sox. I don't give a rats ass about the Cubs. Further, I don't think it helps their chances at winning a title much. Like a previous poster said, they need pitching. That ties up money in an area they don't need. 

Edited by Hot FiRe

58 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

if the Sox don't get a good free agent I hope they sign with a national league team not named the Cubs. Every Sox fan should think like that IMO.

Yep, Cubs signing Harper would be a good way for the Sox to be even more irrelevant in Chicago, which seemingly isn’t possible

49 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep, Cubs signing Harper would be a good way for the Sox to be even more irrelevant in Chicago, which seemingly isn’t possible

What better way to squash any headlines and ink . press whatever the Sox get if they sign Machado by Harper going to the Cubs. Good grief ! Even worse if no Machado then Cubs get Harper.

1 hour ago, AustinIllini said:

Man, it's not an offseason thread until someone trashes someone else for saying something kind of not hateful about the Cubs

?  This can’t be a serious post.  What Ron said isn’t “something kind of not hateful about the Cubs”.  He’s legitimately rooting against the well-being of his team so he can continue posting on this message board.

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

?  This can’t be a serious post.  What Ron said isn’t “something kind of not hateful about the Cubs”.  He’s legitimately rooting against the well-being of his team so he can continue posting on this message board.

Offseason.  Don't ever change.  I do love this board.

Edited by AustinIllini

1 hour ago, AustinIllini said:

Offseason.  Don't ever change.  I do love this board.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

Edited by Balta1701

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What better way to squash any headlines and ink . press whatever the Sox get if they sign Machado by Harper going to the Cubs. Good grief ! Even worse if no Machado then Cubs get Harper.

That could happen, but right now the Cubs have too many players onboard and likely would have to make a serious move to stay within their budget targets.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

TBH I think the rivalry would intensify if Machado goes to the sox and Harper goes to the Cubs. By 2020 the Sox would be competitive with the Cubs. Harper doesn't help the Cubs much honestly. They burn young players to get rid of a garbage contract, and then tie up all their money in Harper, when they really need more pitching. 

36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How am I rooting against the well being of the team? If the Sox get Machado and can't get Harper, I hope he goes to the Cubs. It would intensify the rivalry. It also doesn't help the cubs much IMO. 

You have to remember, they are an NL team. Really doesn't affect the Sox much....

6 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

How am I rooting against the well being of the team? If the Sox get Machado and can't get Harper, I hope he goes to the Cubs. It would intensify the rivalry. It also doesn't help the cubs much IMO. 

You have to remember, they are an NL team. Really doesn't affect the Sox much....

"But if the Cubs are successful the White Sox and the Reinsdorf family will go from swimming in an ocean of money to a sea of money.  After that they're going to leave and we're going to be sad" 

Trust me, man.  I've died on this hill before.  It's not worth it.

Edited by AustinIllini
  • Like 1