Sox reach new TV deal with NBC Sports

Sockin

This isn't like calling Comcast and renegotiating your rates after your intro offer expired people.  This is a really long process that didn't just start recently.  These are long and complicated negotiations that dug into the most minute of details.  The money wasn't just arrived at because of Manny or Harper being possibilities.  Those numbers were long established before the Sox even talked to either one of them in at the very least a general sense.

30 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I don't get people trying to connect the signing of Harper and/or Machado with the business decisions around a long-term sports network for multiple teams. That's like Harper or Machado picking a team to sign for 10 years with based on their projections for 2019 win-loss record. This network decision has been planned for months or years and it's about a period of many years, regardless of any one or a few players signing for any one team.

Just seems like the Greinke deal fell in line with the D'backs getting a new TV contract and the same with Cano and Seattle. Now I know your point was for multiple teams rather than just the Sox but either way I have to believe it's a good thing . We will know for sure when the terms are announced. I'll just throw out 20yrs. $2 Billion . Could be less years higher AAV or higher AAV on same years if I had to guess.

20 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Hate to be that guy, but the reason the Sox are in this deal is because

1. They play in the summer and the channel needs content in the summer
  2. They share an owner with the Bulls, so it's really just one transaction

Depending on the view of the deal, it could be a buy low on the Sox if they become competitive and win a WS. The price would probably be greater if they were winning recently.

I knew Rocky Wirtz wouldn't screw the Reinsdorfs and partner with the Cubs. They co-own the UC so I would've seriously doubted the Hawks would partner with the Cubs. It will be interesting to see what the Cubs do for programming during the winter. I guess they can show Wolves games but that is about it. 

It would also be fun to have a few Hogs games on NBCSN Chicago's extra channel, especially with the Hawks going into a mini rebuild. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Tony said:

For the viewer in most ways, yes. 

Behind the scenes may change more, but the viewing experience should stay fairly similar. 

The problem I had was I subscribed to the Sports package in DirecTV only to have everything blacked out by the Extra Innings channels

2 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Marquis, as in the Jason?

Yes.  I'll put a deeper discussion of this company in the buster.

Wait nevermind

Basically, the Cubs have partnered with the worst company you have never heard of.

Edited by AustinIllini
  • Love 1

Isn't Sinclair a "super conservative/tied to the evangelicals" network?

Just curious...as it would make sense for the Ricketts family to align with their political interests, although some fans of the Cubs are obviously not going to like that element of it.

Wonder when we actually find out the financial terms of the new deal...?   It has to be made public, eventually.  Was expecting it to be somehow more exciting after all the discussion the last 2-3 years.  This reminds me of the reaction of most tourists when they come to see The Great Wall of China.  A bit of a letdown.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Isn't Sinclair a "super conservative/tied to the evangelicals" network?

Just curious...as it would make sense for the Ricketts family to align with their political interests, although some fans of the Cubs are obviously not going to like that element of it.

Wonder when we actually find out the financial terms of the new deal...?   It has to be made public, eventually.  Was expecting it to be somehow more exciting after all the discussion the last 2-3 years.  This reminds me of the reaction of most tourists when they come to see The Great Wall of China.  A bit of a letdown.

The fact it wasn’t exciting or dramatic is a good thing

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I wonder if there are clauses that would motivate all 3 to have good teams. Like if ratings are at certain levels you get X per game. If they dip below a certain point maybe the go lower the next season. 

I mean, these guys own the network and get to keep all the profits, so of course they are naturally motivated to have good teams.  The big change now is they should each own a bigger piece of the network with the Cubs gone, which creates more potential upside and downside risk in the actual quality of the product.

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Will be interested to see how much they get. Arizona, St. Louis and Seattle got deals worth billions but they were the only baseball game in town. 

Sounds like this agreement is only for five years, so I wouldn’t expect billions for us.  But regarding your “only baseball game in town” comment, that still applies to our RSN and it’s vitally important to our partners to have content throughout the summer.

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sounds like this agreement is only for five years, so I wouldn’t expect billions for us.  But regarding your “only baseball game in town” comment, that still applies to our RSN and it’s vitally important to our partners to have content throughout the summer.

That's pretty interesting...as it appears that the likely HIGHER rights fees are directly correlated with the fact that the White Sox are expected to have a very competitive ballclub for at least 4 of those 5 years.

Essentially, they weren't willing to commit to 10, 15 or 20 years at those levels without knowing the White Sox rebuild was going to turn out to be a success, and actually generate profits in terms of advertising and ratings.

This actually is good for fans, because it continues to exert pressure on the ownership group to follow through.  If the rebuild, for whatever reason, busts...then there's going to be a big price to pay in 5 years.

Of course, the Cubs will also be out of their "competitive window" at that time as well, so the White Sox  SHOULD be in a more dominant market position if everything goes as planned.