Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If Machado were added, this bench is pretty full. Engel, Leury, Rondon, Yolmer, backup catcher - there's already got to be an odd person out, and that's before the OF we were considering in the other thread that would move Palka to the bench or minors. You're not going to improve that bench very much.

Assuming we add Joc, who is going to platoon with him and Yonder?  Rondon could maybe DH against lefties.  What about in the OF?  Is that Engel...maybe I guess.

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Found the Padres subreddit talking about this reporter who claims Machado is close to signing with the Padres for 8 years. Supposedly going down this weekend. 

Not buying this.  That being said, if Hahn let the fucking Padres beat him out for Machado then Hahn should be fired on the spot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Exactly.  And if we can’t beat out the Padres, we’d never be able to land a superstar free agent when competing against the Yankees, Red Sox, etc.

If anyone other than the Phils or Yankees get him at a reasonable price, it shows that the Sox overplayed their hand. I would have 0 confidence in this FO for not getting this done when they had a shot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not buying this.  That being said, if Hahn let the fucking Padres beat him out for Machado then Hahn should be fired on the spot.

Wasn't it just last week  we were seeing all these plants and leaks and we were going nuts? What is it going to take to get this thing done! Right about now I'm all for putting the best offer on the table and roll the dice.

Edited by Saufley

2 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Wasn't it just last week  we were seeing all these plants and leaks and we were going nuts? What is it going to take to get this thing done! Right about now I'm all for putting the best offer on the table and roll the dice.

Money and lots of it.....that’s what happen when you go try and get premium free agents especially when you have thrown out garbage  for the last 10 years

1 minute ago, chetkincaid said:

Right. It’s not Hahn’s money. Jerry is the one approving the offers. 

Sure, but Hahn is the GM and has acted like we’re a serious threat to land Machado.  If all he had to work with was a 7/$210M budget, then he should of had a different strategy this offseason and not wasted everyone’s time on some Hail Mary attempt.  And the addition of Yonder will look ridiculous if the Sox thought that would be anything more than a tie-breaker.

Again, I still believe we’re in the driver’s seat here, just stating how I’ll feel if we were to somehow lose this to the fucking Padres.

Just now, fathom said:

Well if it's true they were never going over 30 mil a year or limiting their offer to 7 years, they were never serious to start with

Jerry is so old school that I could absolutely see him thinking the contracts that players are getting now are ridiculous and he won’t overspend on players.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Well if it's true they were never going over 30 mil a year or limiting their offer to 7 years, they were never serious to start with

This.

However it could just be that Lozano is using the Padres to get a little more to take back to the Whitesox to match or better then that’s a different story.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres