Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

If the Sox budget for Manny was semi-low they would have not have invested the money in Alonso and Jay. They would have just put that towards the Manny budget. I’m sure they have a pretty nice ceiling of what they will be willing to go on him. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Jerry is so old school that I could absolutely see him thinking the contracts that players are getting now are ridiculous and he won’t overspend on players.

Then he can die with yet another half-assed product on the field.  I believe this time is different though and he’s finally willing to spend.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

This SD guy has to be full of shit. He actually said it could be done this weekend. Machado and his agent couldn't be big enough dicks and have that news come out while the Sox fan fest was going on. And no one else has it.

I wouldn’t put it past his agent, but why would Lozano go to this guy of all people to put this out though?

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This SD guy has to be full of shit. He actually said it could be done this weekend. Machado and his agent couldn't be big enough dicks and have that news come out while the Sox fan fest was going on. And no one else has it.

if it was as close as he said, I find it next to impossible to imagine Yonder saying what he did last night.

• Like 1

Not that I am trying to talk myself into not believing this San Diego guy and of course I have already covered my living room in fecal matter but this really could be a sign that it’s close with the Sox. Lozano feeds some San Diego people to leak to that weirdo that it’s close to give one last push from Sox. Not that that guys report would sway Hahn in anyway but who knows. 

Like I said the other day, the only advantage San Diego has over Chicago is the weather. Illinois has a lower tax rate than California, the Sox play in a much easier division than the Padres, and the Sox have some of his best friends on this team. If the money is relatively equal, I see no reason why he would choose them over us.

43 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Right. It’s not Hahn’s money. Jerry is the one approving the offers. 

If after all this hoopla by the Sox about spending, if Reinsdorf nixes a signing because it is $300 mil or over, then he should sell the team. We have had FIVE post seasons under his helm. He now says he will spend and if he allows Machado to go somewhere else because he had a limit after all, then he should sell. He would have no credibility with me. I hope we are all over reacting and this will not happen, but just saying enough trolling us. The money is there. Spend it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mooseman said:

Someone who is smart and knows this shit based on the tax differences beween Illinois and California what would SD have pay to match the offers of 7/210 and 8/250?

Pages and pages ago, the same question was asked about LA compared to Chicago. I believe the tax consequences in CA were somewhere between 1.5-2M/season, but I could be wrong. I'm a financial advisor but I'm not licensed in CA so I'm not entirely sure.

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Pages and pages ago, the same question was asked about LA compared to Chicago. I believe the tax consequences in CA were somewhere between 1.5-2M/season, but I could be wrong. I'm a financial advisor but I'm not licensed in CA so I'm not entirely sure.

Illinois is one of the 3 highest taxed states in the country.

Not just using income tax as my barometer. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

26 minutes ago, shipps said:

Not that I am trying to talk myself into not believing this San Diego guy and of course I have already covered my living room in fecal matter but this really could be a sign that it’s close with the Sox. Lozano feeds some San Diego people to leak to that weirdo that it’s close to give one last push from Sox. Not that that guys report would sway Hahn in anyway but who knows. 

When it gets down to THE moment there could be some crazy cross-country Doo hitting the fan. That is what the agents pray for. 

I wonder if the seriousness of the Padres interest in Machado is at all tied to them acquiring Realmuto.  My guess is Realmuto is traded before Machado signs.  Pulling off that trade would be a sign that they want to compete this year, which could motivate them further to acquire Machado.  If the Dodgers get Realmuto, I could see the Padres waiting until next offseason to make a splash.

'go down swinging' means we'll have offers at the expected level of what he's gonna get

it's what the board wants, basically to a T, so i'm not going to get up in arms on that phrasing.

If he takes less than us to go to NY we are not to blame. if he takes slightly less with Chicago to avoid Philly, then Philly would blame themselves for not having Alonso/Jay. You can go round and round on what it means to have money not be the sole determinant.

5 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

'go down swinging' means we'll have offers at the expected level of what he's gonna get

it's what the board wants, basically to a T, so i'm not going to get up in arms on that phrasing.

If he takes less than us to go to NY we are not to blame. if he takes slightly less with Chicago to avoid Philly, then Philly would blame themselves for not having Alonso/Jay. You can go round and round on what it means to have money not be the sole determinant.

Pretty sure its going to come out after this that, indeed, the White Sox never offered more than 7 years and ~200 million.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres