Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Yeah, u would think that even if the Sox came in pretty high Lozano would still do his due diligence to raise that offer too. He would have still tried to bring in other clubs. He would have still threw out imaginary interest to get the Sox to offer more. He would have played the game just as he has with what might by a little bit of a lower offer than expected. 

• Like 1

Before I passed out last night, I saw the Padres payroll. They can definitely offer Machado a decent chunk of money like the Sox can. The Phillies can as well, but not as much as the Padres or Sox. I think it is down to us and them with the Phillies as the wild card. The Sox should be able to pull it out if their offer is at least $30 million a year. Now I wonder if he would accept 7 or 8 years at $30 million per year.

I can understand why a team wouldn’t want to tie up $35 million a year in a player, but maybe they have offered more upfront with opt outs and incentives for the later part of their offer. But Hahn, like John Fox, doesn’t say anything so it is hard to tell where we stand. Yes I know he won’t comment on active negotiations.

8 minutes ago, shipps said:

Yeah, u would think that even if the Sox came in pretty high Lozano would still do his due diligence to raise that offer too. He would have still tried to bring in other clubs. He would have still threw out imaginary interest to get the Sox to offer more. He would have played the game just as he has with what might by a little bit of a lower offer than expected. 

That's fine if, in the end, the Sox are willing to match the top offer +20% or so.  But if they aren't and/or if, say, they are using Alonso and Jay, instead of cash,  as the premium, then I suspect that this will not end well.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Before I passed out last night, I saw the Padres payroll. They can definitely offer Machado a decent chunk of money like the Sox can. The Phillies can as well, but not as much as the Padres or Sox. I think it is down to us and them with the Phillies as the wild card. The Sox should be able to pull it out if their offer is at least $30 million a year. Now I wonder if he would accept 7 or 8 years at $30 million per year.

I can understand why a team wouldn’t want to tie up $35 million a year in a player, but maybe they have offered more upfront with opt outs and incentives for the later part of their offer. But Hahn, like John Fox, doesn’t say anything so it is hard to tell where we stand. Yes I know he won’t comment on active negotiations.

I can’t see the Padres as a serious contender. CA state taxes are higher. Manny doesn’t like the west coast. And Petco Park is where homeruns go to die. Plus the path to a division championship is much harder in the NL west than AL central. 

I actually think we're out. Watching some of the clips on Hahn I got a feeling of yeah, but what if we strike out.. Like hey be prepared for disappointment.. That's just me.. As I said before I've set my bar really low

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Sox should've had this locked up weeks ago

I'm sure the Sox would've wanted to do that too. The problem is the Sox could've offered 10/350 or whatever the magic # is for Lozano and there still would not be an agreement. He would wait and see if others would top or match it. I mean, that's his job to try and get the most money for his client.

This is how the baseball offseasons are going to go from now on. FA's holding out until spring training. 

OK. Here is my thoughts on this. I am a LONG time Sox fan, but a newbie on this site, so you can take it for what you think it is worth. This is quite likely the only time the stars align like this for the Sox. The "Big boys" all seem to not be spending. Machado is 26 years old. He plays 3B, probably the ONLY spot we do not have a sure fire prospect in the system. In my opinion, this is a MUST signing for the Sox. They can NOT blow this chance. After all this national coverage of the Sox on this potential signing, there is no freaking way they would let someone like San Diego(or anyone for that matter) outbid them. The Sox FO would lose ALL credibility and leave themselves, and unfortunately us Sox fans, up to national ridicule. Harper as a "Plan B" sounds good, but who would take us seriously? And we have Jimenez, Robert, Adolfo and Rutherford coming up. We don't need Harper. We need Machado. Plain and simple. I am a Sox fan since the mid 50's when my Grandpa and me used to watch the Sox. Sox can't blow this. NO EXCUSES. No "we are at the table" crap. Time to put their money where their mouth is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

That’s an incredibly weird take away from what we’ve heard the last few days, but to each their own.

And again that's what I perceived. I'm most likely totally wrong. I actually hope I'm wrong. But I feel something ain't right.. Again just my feeling

The high profile free agency market has become, for all intents and purposes, an eBay auction where the only real action happens in the last couple of minutes. There is no “buy me now” button. I don’t think it has any bearing on any team’s position. 

My take, if they offered $250M (or whatever) for Machado and he turns it down, so be it...as long as the Sox commit said $250M to field a winner, wherever that is.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Its not up to the Sox. 

I think it is up to the Sox. Unless of course, he just doesn't want to play here and wants to leave a LOT of money on the table. But it is "UP' to the Sox as far as making an "offer he can't refuse". Missing out and hearing the "but we were at the table" does not cut it. FIVE post seasons in the entire time this ownership has been in charge is unacceptable to me at least.

16 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

True..  Again its what I feel. Again I really hope I'm wrong. 

Hahn droning on and on about his effort and the value of just being at the table for "premium talent" seemed to me like he's trying to soften the landing in case we don't sign him; not that we wouldn't sign him.  I hope.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres