Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves

SweatyFreddy

Keuchel wasn't signing with the Sox. He wanted to go to a contender where he'll have eyes on him and a better opportunity to parlay his performance into the contract he wants.  He very much could still be an option for the Sox next year though.  I get complaining but the Sox not getting Keuchel is nothing to really get that upset about, imo.  If they don't spend this off-season, than people have every right to be truly ticked.  Last off-season I get the frustration given the expectations...but the team was still a year away. With the progress they've made thus far this season, the timeline requires them to make a big investment this off-season because the team has flashed enough to indicate it is ready.  

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Keuchel wasn't signing with the Sox. He wanted to go to a contender where he'll have eyes on him and a better opportunity to parlay his performance into the contract he wants.  He very much could still be an option for the Sox next year though.  I get complaining but the Sox not getting Keuchel is nothing to really get that upset about, imo.  If they don't spend this off-season, than people have every right to be truly ticked.  Last off-season I get the frustration given the expectations...but the team was still a year away. With the progress they've made thus far this season, the timeline requires them to make a big investment this off-season because the team has flashed enough to indicate it is ready.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-free-agents-c302403844

Which of these guys could we be serious suitors for? Cole will have a strong market if healthy that I'm not sure we touch. 

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I would agree. The issue will be can they find what they need.

LF: Jimenez 

CF: Robert soon

RF: ?

3B: Moncada

SS: Anderson

2B: Madrigal soon

1B: Abreu?

C McCann/Collins

SP: Giolito, Cease, Kopech, 

To me it looks like an OF, possibly 1B and a starting pitcher are the options for a big FA.

There could be smaller ones in the BP but I'm not a big fan of spending big money on  a BP as they really vary from year to year.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

C McCann/Collins

To me it looks like an OF, possibly 1B and a starting pitcher are the options for a big FA.

There could be smaller ones in the BP but I'm not a big fan of spending big money on  a BP as they really vary from year to year.

Ozuna makes a ton of sense as a FA target for RF. He shouldn't be crazy expensive, but would be a solid starter for us to round out the lineup.

We certainly could use a starting pitcher and pen help too. 

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-free-agents-c302403844

Which of these guys could we be serious suitors for? Cole will have a strong market if healthy that I'm not sure we touch. 

Good list. I think they need to look at Cole, Bumgarner and Ozuna. Although all are about 30 and they will regret the end of the contracts.

*whispers* I think signing Didi to man second base on a possibly reasonable deal due to his injury and age would be beneficial due to his power and veteran presence even though many would find it to be blocking madrigal, because I think it would truly provide us with the type of depth most good teams seem to have and I really like him

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

*whispers* I think signing Didi to man second base on a possibly reasonable deal due to his injury and age would be beneficial due to his power and veteran presence even though many would find it to be blocking madrigal, because I think it would truly provide us with the type of depth most good teams seem to have and I really like him

That would be a good one. The issue would be if he would sign knowing the Sox have a guy they want there in a year or two.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't think the injury will matter if he has a great rest of the year.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I like this move a lot. I think you can go into 2020 with Yolmer or Tilson/Cordell in the lineup, and expect to be pretty competitive. I think you fill one of those holes, then go add pitching and we're in pretty good shape. 

11 hours ago, ptatc said:

I dont think you understand the concept of rebuild. 

the point is to be as bad as they can until they are ready to compete. this way they build up the best draft picks and hopefully the best players to sustain a longer period of winning.

Signing Keuchel would get then a worse draft pick and still wouldn't get them any closer to a sustained period of winning.

they aren't winning anything this year by design. next year or the after are about when the winning should start, 4 to 5 years into a rebuild.  

they've made some big mistakes such as not signing Harper or Machado but not signing Keuchel to a 1 year deal isn't one of them.

That’s very debatable...

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I like this move a lot. I think you can go into 2020 with Yolmer or Tilson/Cordell in the lineup, and expect to be pretty competitive. I think you fill one of those holes, then go add pitching and we're in pretty good shape. 

I think people need to stop thinking guys like Yolmer, Tilson and Cordell are viable members for a contending starting lineup. 

20 minutes ago, ptatc said:

C McCann/Collins

I like this and I agree.  Bullpens are so flukey.  Only the top guys are worth going after.

Colome, Abreu, and any money they have to spend should be going to find a RF bat, starting pitching, and perhaps even a catching prospect.  McCann is no sure thing to repeat and Collins may not be able to handle the load behind the plate.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Last time the Sox were in contention they went out and got guys like Thome, Dunn and Rios. Maybe not the best moves, but not the cheapest moves. 

Good point but Thome was still a good move and honestly Rios was just money and had a couple good seasons.  Dunn apparently forgot to hit once he came to the AL.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Good point but Thome was still a good move and honestly Rios was just money and had a couple good seasons.  Dunn apparently forgot to hit once he came to the AL.

Thome was a great move. Rowand was in the Adam Eaton school of "overrated as fuck." Rios was really risky and Dunn's health caught up to him. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think people need to stop thinking guys like Yolmer, Tilson and Cordell are viable members for a contending starting lineup. 

I know they're not. But I think you can get by with one obvious hole for a year or until the deadline. The first order of business is pitching. Then fill one of those holes, if you can fill both, great. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I know they're not. But I think you can get by with one obvious hole for a year or until the deadline. The first order of business is pitching. Then fill one of those holes, if you can fill both, great. 

You should easily be able to find an upgrade in RF

I know it has been said here before but I am in agreement that I think the Sox will go after Puig for RF.  Not a move I particularly like but one I think they will go for...hopefully not more than a 3 year deal

12 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Thome was a great move. Rowand was in the Adam Eaton school of "overrated as fuck." Rios was really risky and Dunn's health caught up to him. 

Aaron rowand was really damn good in 04, 05 and 07. A lot like Eaton though, they moved on at the right time. 

1 minute ago, wegner said:

I know it has been said here before but I am in agreement that I think the Sox will go after Puig for RF.  Not a move I particularly like but one I think they will go for...hopefully not more than a 3 year deal

I could definitely see that but after this season I’m not sure he finds more than a 2 year deal unless he turns things around in the second half.

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

I like the prospect of it just to go full on Heel Sox